Global Entertainment Giants Form Massive Anti-Piracy Coalition

shamu726

Some of the world's largest entertainment groups have formed a huge coalition with a mission to reduce online piracy. The Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment is comprised of 30 companies including the studios of the MPAA, Amazon, Netflix, CBS, HBO, BBC, Sky, Bell Canada, CBS, Hulu, Lionsgate, Foxtel, Village Roadshow, and many more.

ace-logo.jpg

It’s not unusual for companies within the same area of business to collaborate in order to combat piracy. The studios and labels that form the MPAA and RIAA, for example, have doing just that for decades.

Today, however, an unprecedented number of global content creators and distribution platforms have announced the formation of a brand new coalition to collaboratively fight Internet piracy on a global scale.

The Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment (ACE) is a coalition of 30 companies that reads like a who’s who of the global entertainment market. In alphabetical order the members are:

Amazon, AMC Networks, BBC Worldwide, Bell Canada and Bell Media, Canal+ Group, CBS Corporation, Constantin Film, Foxtel, Grupo Globo, HBO, Hulu, Lionsgate, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM), Millennium Media, NBCUniversal, Netflix, Paramount Pictures, SF Studios, Sky, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Star India, Studio Babelsberg, STX Entertainment, Telemundo, Televisa, Twentieth Century Fox, Univision Communications Inc., Village Roadshow, The Walt Disney Company, and Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

In a joint announcement today, ACE notes that there are now more than 480 services available for consumers to watch films and TV programs online. However, despite that abundance of content, piracy continues to pose a threat to creators and the economy.

“Films and television shows can often be found on pirate sites within days – and in many cases hours – of release,” ACE said in a statement.

“Last year, there were an estimated 5.4 billion downloads of pirated wide release films and primetime television and VOD shows using peer-to-peer protocols worldwide. There were also an estimated 21.4 billion total visits to streaming piracy sites worldwide across both desktops and mobile devices in 2016.”

Rather than the somewhat fragmented anti-piracy approach currently employed by ACE members separately, the coalition will present a united front of all major content creators and distributors, with a mission to cooperate and expand in order to minimize the threat.

At the center of the alliance appears to be the MPAA. ACE reports that the anti-piracy resources of the Hollywood group will be used “in concert” with the existing anti-piracy departments of the member companies.

ace-members.png

Unprecedented scale aside, ACE’s modus operandi will be a familiar one.

The coalition says it will work closely with law enforcement to shut down pirate sites and services, file civil litigation, and forge new relationships with other content protection groups. It will also strive to reach voluntary anti-piracy agreements with other interested parties across the Internet.

MPAA chief Chris Dodd, whose group will play a major role in ACE, welcomed the birth of the alliance.

“ACE, with its broad coalition of creators from around the world, is designed, specifically, to leverage the best possible resources to reduce piracy,” Dodd said.

“For decades, the MPAA has been the gold standard for antipiracy enforcement. We are proud to provide the MPAA’s worldwide antipiracy resources and the deep expertise of our antipiracy unit to support ACE and all its initiatives.”

The traditionally non-aggressive BBC described ACE as “hugely important” in the fight against “theft and illegal distribution”, with Netflix noting that even its creative strategies for dealing with piracy are in need of assistance.

“While we’re focused on providing a great consumer experience that ultimately discourages piracy, there are still bad players around the world trying to profit off the hard work of others,” said Netflix General Counsel, David Hyman.

“By joining ACE, we will work together, share knowledge, and leverage the group’s combined anti-piracy resources to address the global online piracy problem.”

It’s likely that the creation of ACE will go down as a landmark moment in the fight against piracy. Never before has such a broad coalition promised to pool resources on such a grand and global scale. That being said, with great diversity comes the potential for greatly diverging opinions, so only time will tell if this coalition can really hold together.

Source: TorrentFreak

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This could be the end of all piracy.  Together they have the resources to force law enforcement to act and to force the various registrars to take down sites.  Their combined force of lawyers could wreak havoc world wide.  They have a common bond, reducing piracy and hopefully increasing profits, that will bind them together.  The only way to reduce piracy is to eliminate those sites that are in any way affiliated with it.  I have heard from a source that Uploadgig, a relative newcomer, is going to be the first victim, along with people who upload to the site, and several sites who are pushing that service. There was an anonymous post on a tv/movie website a couple days ago that warned users of the impending action.  It was also mentioned that the recent Kodi addon disappearances might be related to this new organization. Be interesting to see what happens in the coming days and months.

6 hours ago, straycat19 said:

This could be the end of all piracy.

What a freaking  joke, all this is the MPAA  rebranded as ACE it already exist and the MPPA  and these groups stated above witch forum the MPAA have been trying kill video piracy every since they invented DSL were people could download videos  in  small amount of time and every year it just gets easer to find and more plentiful .   Mark my words watch and see in June 2018 a year from now you will see this has not really made no difference. They never been able to do nothing before so what makes you think they cant stop it by changeing there name too ACE?

So what if they are killing Kodi addons they killed Napster and Limewire too years ago but still  the fact remains that piracy is alive and well many years latter. You think that makes a darn to me? i never used Kodi so it don't  .. I remember back when I was still on dailup  the thing was then was go rent some DVDs and remove the protection and copy them on blank DVD  so piracy would still exist without you even being download anything but  a decryptor and copy /ripper software .

Piracy has existed every since the film industry has  long before the Internet  Even the Scene started  out in the 1970s long before the WWW . Their work was made available on privately run bulletin board systems (BBSes) .

I think that the assumption that pirates don't buy the media they consume is pretty much retarded. If you are building your collection, you are simply not going to be burning your Blu-Rays full of games and films at home. Every actual collector likes his originals. Heck, I'm not a collector, and I still wouldn't burn my favourite film at home if I could find an original DVD. The real battle against piracy, then, is the battle for the sometime consumer. They don't want to bilk the people who will actually and reliably buy their stuff, just the folks who'd cringe at the sh*t they're producing and never bother with it again.

And that's the thing. I've been thinking and I honestly wouldn't be watching half the stuff that I do now if it wasn't readily available. Available to try, to preview, to get a feel for whatever medium it is. I'm willing to wager that's true for many people in some degree. So the first thing that would happen after ending all piracy would be a plummet in the very casual sales they are now trying to increase. The guys accustomed to buying the t-shirts and Blu-Rays and the rest won't stop after piracy. But I'd never have watched a single Fast and Furious flick if my mates hadn't made me download them to watch together. 

The actual value of the media is relative. It's on a sliding scale between necessity and convenience. People watch mediocre films because they can, they're free, and some of them are fun in a crowd. Remove the convenience, and only necessity remains. Soon enough, folks will catch on that they do not need their crap, and start looking for actual value for their money since they are bound to spend it and most don't have a limitless supply of dosh. Man, will these yahoos be surprised then. 

On undefined at 7:20 AM, Alanon said:

Soon enough, folks will catch on that they do not need their crap, and start looking for actual value for their money since they are bound to spend it and most don't have a limitless supply of dosh. Man, will these yahoos be surprised then. 

Back before the www  i was young and dating only time i went too the Movies was  ether i was dating or it was a family outing so everything else I mostly watched on TV or rented it and watched it on TV ..I already pay a satellite bill .  So what will happen if I can't find it on internet will be i will go to redbox or  rent them online. I still want buy media and any movie that is b rated or not a block buster i will just wait a year for it to come out on satellite and cable    I cant stand smelly theaters full of people and I can't stand watching the same thing over and over Id rather go get in trouble or something. If internet piracy stops then just crime well just go up in the streets because millions of people will get bored. If the internet  becomes tamed and is not the wild west anymore the internet will die out and be something we only use for business and shopping who will need it for entertainment ?  lol. 

Archived