[Solved] Help: HDD "SMART Command Failed" Errors !!

IronY-Man

Hi Guys, I need your advice on this :

Few weeks ago, I encountered a strange error when I rebooted the pc &  I couldn't boot into it properly and instead of OS-Choice BS Screen; I was stuck on an error page, Hard Disk : S.M.A.R.T. Enable , Command Failed. Other than DEL or F11 & (Ctrl+Alt+Esc), no other keys were working & It was a confusing situation because whenever I rebooted my PC, I was going back to the same error page like I was in a loop.This Drive is barely 15 months old.

However after looking up for it, I applied the fixes i.e.

1 .Disabled S.M.A.R.T feature in BIOS  ( I knew it wasnt a perfect solution for long term.)

2 . Disconnected  the power-cord and Bus to hard disk and reconnected after draining power from the PC . ( This one worked & after that, I enabled the SMART Feature.)

But again, After few days the error started appearing sometimes while rebooting and sometimes not....so I looked on WD site for diagnostics utility to check the status of the drive cos I already did CHKDSK/r on it and it isnt fragmanted  either cos Win10 has scheduled defragmentation on & like every other utility I tried to check the drive health status, it came GOOD and also on WD utility, it passed the test.

So I'm asking is it possible tho that it still should be considered as sitting on the brink of failure or it can be replaced citing this strange error as a potential symptom of a brewing disease!! 

• Replies 23
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.corenetworkz.com/2010/03/hard-disk-smart-command-failed-reason.html

The main reason for this failure message is HDD failure and when the SMART BIOS feature detects this issue we will see this failure message. SMART stands for Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology for monitoring the Hard Disk Drive for any kind of malfunctioning. If S.M.A.R.T detect any problems with it,  it will return the failure message. 

The permanent solution for this error message is to replace your hard disk with a new one.

Spoiler

But there are some other temporary workarounds for this error. They are:
Disable S.M.A.R.T feature in BIOS 

It will avoid the chance of detecting the computer HDD failures and you will not get any more SMART error message. We know it is not a perfect solution for long term.

Disconnect the power and Bus to hard disk and reconnect 

Regular Hard Disk recovery methods 
It is recommended to perform any kind of HDD recovery steps like de-fragmentation for fixing the errors of your computer disk.

In my case I just followed the second workaround by disconnecting both BUS and Power cable from HDD and reconnect. It looks a little dirty if you are not cleaning your PC frequently but it outsmarts other two solutions. 

Have you tried  CHKDSK/F and have you tried to view it in Mini Tools  Partition Wizard

I have to agree with Teodz. It would be wise to get a new hard drive and if the drive is only 15 months old, it should be covered by WD's warranty program. More that likely there is something that went wrong with the system that operates SMART and it is either yielding warning info or not working as intended.

I personally do not think that you need a new hard drive, it is very unlikely that this is so. And the less believable, if you have HDD.

It is possible, but the probability is the same, that you are tomorrow a lotto millionaire.
The reason is something else.

1 hour ago, teodz1984 said:

The main reason ....

The permanent solution for this error message is to replace your hard disk with a new one.

Already tried all of this. Thanks !

1 hour ago, J.D said:

Have you tried  CHKDSK/F and have you tried to view it in Mini Tools  Partition Wizard

No, haven't tried CHKDSK/F  & Mini Tools  Partition Wizard shows drive without any complications or anything !

43 minutes ago, sam3971 said:

it should be covered by WD's warranty program.

It is but the question is whether it can be replaced by citing this strange error which occurs sometime and sometimes not !!

35 minutes ago, Kalju said:

I personally do not think that you need a new hard drive, it is very unlikely that this is so. And the less believable, if you have HDD.

It is possible, but the probability is the same, that you are tomorrow a lotto millionaire.

Same here mate, but as reported by utility tools & also there's  no performance related issues or noises or any other sounds coming from it which are signs of a dying disk....even my other HD which is roughly 7+yrs old runs smoothly like a new one. I think I should get a new one, just in case... !!

Regardless bud, I would still inquire with WD about this. I know that the way that SMART works is that is is hosted on a chip on the PCB. If that chip has a factory defect or something similar, the drive may still operate as intended because SMART is just for diag reporting. I have heard of horror stories where the drive is perfectly fine but something on the PCB fried and the drive becomes useless.

My Theory is that if there is something wrong with the drive like a manufacture's defect, WD will swap it free of charge. With that said, it could be something to do with the motherboard or bios as well since the drive reports errors to bios.

2 hours ago, IronY-Man said:

Few weeks ago, I encountered a strange error when I rebooted the pc &  I couldn't boot into it properly and instead of OS-Choice BS Screen; I was stuck on an error page, Hard Disk : S.M.A.R.T. Enable , Command Failed. Other than DEL or F11 & (Ctrl+Alt+Esc), no other keys were working & It was a confusing situation because whenever I rebooted my PC, I was going back to the same error page like I was in a loop.This Drive is barely 15 months old.

1 .Disabled S.M.A.R.T feature in BIOS  ( I knew it wasnt a perfect solution for long term.)

2 . Disconnected  the power-cord and Bus to hard disk and reconnected after draining power from the PC . ( This one worked & after that, I enabled the SMART Feature.)

But again, After few days the error started appearing sometimes while rebooting and sometimes not....so I looked on WD site for diagnostics utility to check the status of the drive cos I already did CHKDSK/r on it and it isnt fragmanted  either cos Win10 has scheduled defragmentation on & like every other utility I tried to check the drive health status, it came GOOD and also on WD utility, it passed the test.

So I'm asking is it possible tho that it still should be considered as sitting on the brink of failure or it can be replaced citing this strange error as a potential symptom of a brewing disease!! 

It's your HD, get it swapped.

1 hour ago, Kalju said:

Please stop trying to help people with IT issues until you understand IT yourself, your not helping.

This Drive is barely 15 months old.

regardless of age, if a hard drive has a bad physical sector ,its a recipe for failure..  (ie.e. if you got a HDD from a bad manufacturing Batch)

Best way is to transpant the drive in amother PC as a slave drive and do diagnostics.. If you get the same errors on that drive, most likely the drive is on the way out

personally do not think that you need a new hard drive, it is very unlikely that this is so. And the less believable, if you have HDD. It is possible, but the probability is the same, that you are tomorrow a lotto millionaire.

Have you ever heard of Murphy's Law?

visualbuffs
3 hours ago, IronY-Man said:

if you had no budget buying new hdd then ignore this error on bios 

look for s.m.a.r.t and set to disable

I occasionally have a drive problem but two things that can cause it,

a. Either the SATA Data cable or the multi-pin power cable - I have replaced both 3-4 times, the connectors go soft due to getting warm every day although my PC runs cool .

b.A bad SATA port - if you have spare SATA port slots, try one of those . 

I would try HDDRegen and scan for bad sectors. There are other similar progs out there like Spinrite but I am only familiar with HDDRegen. It can almost all the time "fix" your HDD if the cause is bad sector. The beauty of this program is that it can fix our HDD without data loss! BUT IMHO if it does find/fix bad sector then you should backup your data and buy new HDD. Maybe HDD will sit in closet and you will never install, maybe you will install tomorrow! HDDRegen can fix (permanently) most bad sector issues but anyone who has owned a computer knows nothin' is for sure. 

Edit: Meds Here:

Site: http://pasted.co
Sharecode[?]: /97ddb5e9
(tested/working) g/l

6 hours ago, visualbuffs said:

if you had no budget buying new hdd then ignore this error on bios 

look for s.m.a.r.t and set to disable

So  far , I've done exactly that !!

9 hours ago, sam3971 said:

Regardless bud, I would still inquire with WD about this. I know that the way that SMART works is that is is hosted on a chip on the PCB. If that chip has a factory defect or something similar, the drive may still operate as intended because SMART is just for diag reporting. I have heard of horror stories where the drive is perfectly fine but something on the PCB fried and the drive becomes useless.

My Theory is that if there is something wrong with the drive like a manufacture's defect, WD will swap it free of charge. With that said, it could be something to do with the motherboard or bios as well since the drive reports errors to bios.

Thanks for the insight, I will contact the vendor about this !!

4 hours ago, J.D said:

a. Either the SATA Data cable or the multi-pin power cable - I have replaced both 3-4 times, the connectors go soft due to getting warm every day although my PC runs cool .

Unfortunately , I dont have spare SATA ports but I can try the SATA data cable swap method !!

14 minutes ago, IronY-Man said:

So  far , I've done exactly that !!

Thanks for the insight, I will contact the vendor about this !!

Unfortunately , I dont have spare SATA ports but I can try the SATA data cable swap method !!

If you have a CD/Disk Drive, you can temporarily disconnect it and connect the HDD to that Sata Port for testing purposes. With what the other members have said, it could be a bad sector but from my knowledge of SMART, it looks for other information like PowerOnHours, SectorRelocationCount and many others. A bad sector can cause the drive the "ReAllocate" the data from bad to good but I doubt a few bad sectors would throw a Smart warning. If you feel comfortable with disabling the SMART warnings in the bios, you can run windows and download and run this handy tool below. It will give you all the SMART readouts and what is in warning status if any. They look a little scary for someone who is not familiar with these types of tools but might point you in the right direction.

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

7 minutes ago, sam3971 said:

If you have a CD/Disk Drive, you can temporarily disconnect it and connect the HDD to that Sata Port for testing purposes. With what the other members have said, it could be a bad sector but from my knowledge of SMART, it looks for other information like PowerOnHours, SectorRelocationCount and many others. A bad sector can cause the drive the "ReAllocate the data from bad to good but I doubt a few bad sectors would throw a Smart warning. If you feel comfortable with disabling the SMART warnings in the bios, you can run windows and download and run this handy tool below. It will give you all the SMART readouts and what is in warning status if any. They look a little scary for someone who is not familiar with these types of tools but might point you in the right direction.

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

the drive is plugged into the CD drive port ...this was the last spare port. Thanks for the tool !!

the drive is plugged into the CD drive port ...this was the last spare port. Thanks for the tool !!

OK but bear in mind the CD SATA port is often only SATA 1.5 ie a slow port (it is on my Mobo) 

visualbuffs
On 6/12/2017 at 4:27 AM, J.D said:

bad sata cable or power cable result in booting stucks but not smart failure dude

bios detect the smart so bios detect the hard drive. not cable issue !!!!!!!!!

so the final word here is to replace the hard drive and not the cables etc.

if the boot stucks thats the reason there's a problem with the cable or you need to clean the PCB of the hard drive

the issue here smart failure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! drive detected 

or like i said ignoring the error for the mean time

bad sata cable or power cable result in booting stucks but not smart failure dude

so the final word here is to replace the hard drive and not the cables etc.

No, Boots up OK but suddenly reboots at random - replaced both Sata and power cable to disk fixed the problem 

I think you should check your cables first. And never bend the cables more than 90 degrees.

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 3:24 PM, IronY-Man said:

Check you´re HDD model + serial number ------> go to the manufacture page and pray there is a firmware update for you´re model if not you can send it to RMA or send it to you´re trash can. the last option is the most viable in my opinion if there is no firmware update.

Thanks to all for helping out & after trying all the solutions and everything that everyone suggested....the culprits  were the failing PSU and extensive overheating as suggested by @sam3971...so now no SMART :smartass: errors and nothing !! :guns:

• Administrator

Topic marked as solved.

Archived