India's most powerful rocket has launched a satellite into orbit

tao

NEW DELHI — India launched a communication satellite using its most powerful rocket on Monday, improving its prospects of winning a bigger share of the more than $300 billion global space industry and its hopes of a manned mission.

The Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV) Mk III, or "Fat Boy", lifted off from the Sriharikota space center in southern India at 5.28 p.m. (1158 GMT) in clear blue skies.

At 3,136 kg (6,914 lb), or more than three tonnes and the height of a 13-story building, the GSAT-19 satellite is the heaviest India has tried to put in orbit, the space agency said.

The United States, Russia, China, Japan and European Space Agency have the capability to launch satellites weighing more than three tonnes.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi congratulated the scientists behind the launch and said it took India closer to the next generation of launch capabilities.

"The nation is proud," he tweeted.

Modi's government has been promoting a domestic space program as a demonstration of low-cost technology and in February it launched 104 satellites in a single mission, most of them for foreign customers.

The Indian space agency has also considered a manned space mission involving sending astronauts into a low-Earth orbit, but the program has not yet been cleared by the government.

In 2014, scientists first flew the GSLV Mk III and ran checks on an unmanned crew module on board, suggesting that it would be the launch platform for a manned mission in future.

"GSLV Mk III has put GSAT 19, which is a next generation satellite, into orbit," Indian Space Research Organisation chief A.S. Kiran Kumar said. "It is a perfect launch. The information from the satellite is being tracked. And it is good."

The rocket used a cryogenic engine, developed in India after the United States leaned on Russia in the 1990s not to supply such a powerful engine in case it was used for missiles.

In May, India launched a communications satellite for its smaller neighbors to share, part of its efforts to build goodwill in the region.

A 2015 Space Foundation report pegged the global space industry at $323 billion. India's share of global launch services industry is about 0.6 percent, government data shows.

< Here >

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I would advice everyone to read the top comments posted here to understand this.

Also, here is a pic of it.

27 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

I would advice everyone to read the top comments posted here to understand this...

What's there to understand from such comments, brother (except noise)?

What one can understand by [K]nowledge's posts is more than enough, Brother!  ^_^

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, adi said:

What's there to understand from such comments, brother (except noise)?

What one can understand by [K]nowledge's posts is more than enough, Brother!  ^_^

A lot. The reason is, India gets criticized for doing this being a poor and developing country. In addition to that, it explains a lot of things. Unfortunately, I cannot watch the video above as I'm on not on the connection suitable for it.

If not the whole thing then I advice one to read just this part of it, except the offensive part of it though. To add to it, this explains how all these are going to help India to improve it's internet reach and speeds, which might be among the the worst in all the countries in the world I think.

knowledge-Spammer

A lot. The reason is, India gets criticized for doing this being a poor and developing country

i can say 100% i like  poor  countrys  more then rich countrys

who not get criticized  nowdays  i say f.ck the haters  the poorer country  are the people to be with

for me poorer countrys  are the real  people

8 minutes ago, knowledge said:

... i can say 100% i like  poor  countrys  more then rich countrys...

who not get criticized  nowdays  i say f.ck the haters  the poorer country  are the people to be with

for me poorer countrys  are the real  people

The same feelings [K]noweledge, the same feelings!  :drunk:

Nah, Brother, Knowledge, nyet

Why dirty our mouth

When ignoring works as well --

Perhaps better!

За нашу дружбу!

-A Cryogenic-engine Rocket.

-Communication Satellites that will boost Internet Speed.

Looks very promising! :dance2:

14 hours ago, DKT27 said:

A lot. The reason is, India gets criticized for doing this being a poor and developing country. In addition to that, it explains a lot of things. Unfortunately, I cannot watch the video above as I'm on not on the connection suitable for it.

If not the whole thing then I advice one to read just this part of it, except the offensive part of it though. To add to it, this explains how all these are going to help India to improve it's internet reach and speeds, which might be among the the worst in all the countries in the world I think.

take a look at this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_Internet_users

and then this

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_area

India is not doing bad. people shouldn't compare South Korea's internet speed which has the world's fastest average speed, or Iceland's internet penetration rate which has the word's highest rate, with India's. 

comparing the area of those countries, India comes as the world's 7th biggest nation which for those 2, first one is 108th and second one is 114th. very very small countries. not to consider the mountains, deserts. jungles etc that big nations have. 

• Administrator
12 hours ago, saeed_dc said:

take a look at this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_Internet_users

and then this

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_area

India is not doing bad. people shouldn't compare South Korea's internet speed which has the world's fastest average speed, or Iceland's internet penetration rate which has the word's highest rate, with India's. 

comparing the area of those countries, India comes as the world's 7th biggest nation which for those 2, first one is 108th and second one is 114th. very very small countries. not to consider the mountains, deserts. jungles etc that big nations have. 

Good point.

Still, I believe India's internet spread have only improved recently thanks to mobile networks here.

It takes a lot of tech to launch a satellite and keep it up there fully functioning. Congrats to India

bravo India. a conrty who hav  military avantage and use rite  the avantage. not for war for good fuetur  for the children and good life

Archived