China's New Cyber Security Law is Vague

straycat19

straycat19

China's new cyber security law is set to take effect on June 1, 2017. The law requires overseas companies doing business in China to undergo security reviews and to store data within the country. The Xinhua news agency wrote, "Those who violate the provisions and infringe on personal information will face hefty fines." But determining which areas will be the focus of enforcement is unclear. The law affects multinational corporations that conduct business in the critical information infrastructure, which is loosely defined to cover any type of business that could potentially harm people's livelihoods. The data covered by the law include personal information and important data, both loosely defined. Among the risks posed to foreign companies doing business in China are that the law could give China the authority to access companies' intellectual property and plumb its cyber security issues. Overseas business groups have been urging China to delay the law's implementation. 

Article

More Information

• Replies 2
  • Views 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
straycat19

I have to comment on my own post.  How f*cking stupid are the Chinese to think that any American company is going to store their data inside China.  The simple solution is to quit doing business with China, when the economy collapses in 3 months, as it will without American business, then they will come to their senses.  Can you imagine what would happen if we instituted a trade ban with China.  No phones, no computers, no cheap made products, and an end to WalMart.  All good things.

Whoopenstein

I'm sure that a lot of companies have already done this. Seeing gold/profits tends to cloud the mind. Even if they didn't - the Chinese would reverse engineer the product anyway.

Archived