WD, Sandisk Out Their First 64-Layer NAND SSDs

CrAKeN

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9Y

In a joint announcement, Western Digital and its subsidiary SanDisk outed their first SSDs with 64-layer NAND technology. The new consumer products utilize BiCS FLASH, the highly anticipated 3D stacking technology that’s used to increase storage density and increase endurance.

The WD Blue 3D and SanDisk Ultra 3D SSD families come to market with identical speeds and feeds. Capacities range from 250GB to 2TB with stops along the way at 500GB and 1TB. WD told us to expect up to 560 MBps sequential read and 530 MBps sequential write speeds from the 64-layer 3-bit per cell 3D NAND used in the drives. We don’t expect a significant performance loss from the smaller capacity models. 

BiCS FLASH will ship in both 256Gbit and 512Gbit die capacity sizes, and that allows manufacturers to keep parallelism high in smaller capacity models. We reached out for more details but were unable to confirm what controller Western Digital paired with the new flash technology. Further, we could not confirm the existence of DRAM in these new products.

The WD Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD adds more product SKUs, from an M.2 single-sided 2280 form factor. Many new thin and light notebooks ship with only an M.2 connector for storage, so it’s nice to have a mainstream upgrade path.

Western Digital didn’t give us price points for all capacity sizes, but we know all three 250GB products carry a $100 MSRP with a three-year warranty. Expect products to ship in Q3 2017.

Source

• Replies 10
  • Views 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JimmySvert
2 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

YUK! Naw, sorry................

I prefer still Samsung Pro and 10 years warranty! :coolwink:

Yeah..if we are talking about performance...However, would be good to have cheaper SSD for keeping backups with less years of warranty. ;)

Israeli_Eagle
1 hour ago, JimmySvert said:

Yeah..if we are talking about performance...However, would be good to have cheaper SSD for keeping backups with less years of warranty. ;)

For backups simply harddisks... Much more space and even cheaper.

The cold hard facts are that the prices of SSD's are through the roof, its easy to assume that some of these companies are milking it.
We can only hope that with the inclusion of brands such as Western Digital/Sandisk and Toshiba/OCZ that we see these prices drops because it doesn't look like Samsung wants to budge on their pricing scheme and why not, they are unrivaled and collecting a fortune on such drives. To Samsung's credit at least they are making solid drives with even better warranties.

I recall Samsung and Toshiba mentioning drives coming from a starting point of 16TB but none of them have to my knowledge made their way into the commercial sector, perhaps the inclusions of such a drive would damage their current pricing scheme considering in some countries a 2TB SSD will set you back $999 just imagine how much a 16TB would set you back...
I honestly feel we are being trickle fed drives at set prices.

JimmySvert
13 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

For backups simply harddisks... Much more space and even cheaper.

agree...for example, those 10TB helium-filled HDD drives (over usb 3.0 or thunderbolt) seem great for backing up your data. But imagine having backup of your 10tb hdd on 5x 2TB SSDs (that are affordable).

Israeli_Eagle
9 minutes ago, JimmySvert said:

agree...for example, those 10TB helium-filled HDD drives (over usb 3.0 or thunderbolt) seem great for backing up your data. But imagine having backup of your 10tb hdd on 5x 2TB SSDs (that are affordable).

Come on... Almost nobody needs everything to backup! Usually only the system partition and main user data.

Agreed however "Helium-filled" HDD's represent another problem and that is failure. There is no assurance or real world longevity tests that such a HDD can and will last longer than its warranty. Whilst there is no guarantee that a regular mechanical HDD will live beyond its warranty it is reasonable to assume that they will last much longer given real world testing and public application.

Helium can and will eventually make its way through seals causing a leak and thus loss of data and HDD failure, this can occur whilst in use or whilst it sits on the shelf so essentially these HDD's may have a limited shelf life however as there is not much knowledge regarding the technology used to prevent such leaks and how it operates over a long period of time I cannot confirm neither here nor there. Scientifically speaking it does not seem immediately plausible that it will last but on that note I am intrigued.   

17 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Come on... Almost nobody needs everything to backup! Usually only the system partition and main user data.

Time is precious therefore backing up data is subjective and largely depends on the person, as one invests vast amounts of time to rip dvd's and/or music then I would consider it worthwhile to backup as nobody has the time to go ripping their entire library again. As bad is it wounds I would also place downloading into that category as one has spent vast amounts of time to seek out and then download such media therefore it becomes valuable, the very internet in some manner is based upon backup considering its published media and remains forever in circulation, it holds value and becomes historic.

Another application would be to clone a hdd in the event of a catastrophic HDD failure and once again this comes down to time, effort and also efficiency in recovery from such an incident.

Israeli_Eagle
7 minutes ago, Mystique said:

Time is precious therefore backing up data is subjective and largely depends on the person, as one invests vast amounts of time to rip dvd's and/or music then I would consider it worthwhile to backup as nobody has the time to go ripping their entire library again. As bad is it wounds I would also place downloading into that category as one has spent vast amounts of time to seek out and then download such media therefore it becomes valuable, the very internet in some manner is based upon backup considering its published media and remains forever in circulation, it holds value and becomes historic.

Another application would be to clone a hdd in the event of a catastrophic HDD failure and once again this comes down to time, effort and also efficiency in recovery from such an incident.

Well........... Actually... All the last 20 years I never needed any backup in the end! I simply use only good hardware (for example harddisks minimum WD Black Label & RE, SSD only Samsung Pro etc), good system security (which is my profession) and also update hardware sometimes. And so far I never had any catastrophic failure or loss any data. So... Or had I only luck? :think:

Just now, Israeli_Eagle said:

Well........... Actually... All the last 20 years I never needed any backup in the end! I simply use only good hardware (for example harddisks minimum WD Black Label & RE, SSD only Samsung Pro etc), good system security (which is my profession) and also update hardware sometimes. And so far I never had any catastrophic failure or loss any data. So... Or had I only luck? :think:

Catastrophic failure is not common but if it happens just once it is enough to ruin your day to say the least but I totally agree that quality hardware is a must as well as diligence particularly when it comes to security. (I admire anyone that works in system security so I tip my hat of to you)

I once asked a friend to buy me a HDD as I was unable to visit the store myself at the time and to his credit he bought me a HDD however he bought me a Seagate HDD and it did not end well for that particular HDD :/ I'm not much of fan of Seagate but recently had decided to give them another shot (touches wood, crosses fingers and prays to every god that it does not fail) for my laptop but if it had been for a desktop I would have went for a WD RED or Black HDD but since it was my laptop and there aren't many choice here I felt obligated. A Samsung Pro SSD would have been great but for the same storage space (2TB) I would be paying $999 - $1200 which is roughly the same cost if not more for the price of my laptop which brings us to my original complaint that SSD's are simply to expensive and do not represent good value for money at this current stage.

Archived