NSA Employee Identities Could Be Exposed

straycat19

straycat19

Shadow Brokers, the group that has been releasing alleged NSA hacking tools, may now be exposing the identities of NSA employees. In the metadata of some of the leaked files are names; at least one of the people named has worked for the NSA. In 2014, the US named and indicted five Chinese hackers and more recently, brought charges against two Russian Federal Security Service officers. These actions may have motivated Shadow Brokers to expose the identities of NSA cyber agents.

SANS Editor Note:

[Jake Williams]
As one of the subjects of the article (yes, I'm that Jake Williams), I'm not thrilled with the US Government's response to this threat so far. I wrote in 2014 that the indictment of Chinese hackers would have consequences for US Government network exploitation operators and I stand by that today. While no foreign government has taken action yet, I am convinced the Shadow Brokers have much more left to leak. There's a cautionary tale here to anyone considering working in offensive cyber operations.

Source

Wall Street Journal Podcast - Modern Cyber Warfare: Where Spies Become Targets Too

• Replies 1
  • Views 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is extraterritorial Federal jurisdiction over an offense under [this] section...

http://trac.syr.edu/laws/18/18USC02339B.html

et alia... inter alia...  :lol:

Archived