Best registry tuner / tune up utility

Monkey D. Luffy

Monkey D. Luffy

So out of the many registry cleaners and PC cleanup utilities, does anyone know which one is the best or which are good ones? Listed on the site, there are:

jv16 PowerTools X 4.1.0.1703

RegSeeker 4.00

Glary Utilities 5.75.0.97

TuneUp Utilities 2014 14.0.1000.353

WinTools.net Premium 17.5.1

Yamicsoft Windows 8 Manager 2.2.8

Registry Trash Keys Finder 3.9.4.0

Cacheman 10.10.0.12

Soft Organizer 6.07

Are one or some of these much better than the others, or can I even just use something like CCleaner?

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would use Ccleaner or Ace Utilities for safety - others can cripple your M/C ;)

14 minutes ago, Monkey D. Luffy said:

So out of the many registry cleaners and PC cleanup utilities, does anyone know which one is the best or which are good ones? Listed on the site, there are:

Are one or some of these much better than the others, or can I even just use something like CCleaner?

Here, ie in this list, is not..., only CCleaner, which is not good, but is safe.

Monkey D. Luffy

I suppose the majority of these do the same things in terms of registry. I will do my comparison based on other factors then as well

straycat19
3 hours ago, Monkey D. Luffy said:

jv16 PowerTools X 4.1.0.1703

RegSeeker 4.00

Glary Utilities 5.75.0.97

TuneUp Utilities 2014 14.0.1000.353

WinTools.net Premium 17.5.1

Yamicsoft Windows 8 Manager 2.2.8

Registry Trash Keys Finder 3.9.4.0

Cacheman 10.10.0.12

Soft Organizer 6.07

There have been arguments about this type of software for years.  I used JV16 for many years, beginning when it was freeware for Windows XP, but never without checking everything it found before deleting anything.  I had it on my wife's computer up until a year ago when it trashed her computer so bad it wouldn't even boot into safe mode and only the daily full image backup allowed a full restore.  I have been a registered user of Registry Trash Keys Finder for years also.  This I consider to be a specialty program because it will find and allow the deletion of keys the other programs will not.  But again you have to know what you are looking at before you delete anything.  And that is the clue to the use of any 'system cleaner', know your OS and know what you are deleting.  A lot of programs advertise how many keys or other things they find to delete but these can be totally bogus or even useless to delete items.  A lot of cleaners will find keys under the MRU (most recently used) and deleting these does nothing for your computer since they are recreated when your system is running and your run various programs but they add to the 'things found to be cleaned' list.  CCleaner is not without its problems also, especially if you don't know what you are deleting.  Deleting one wrong registry key can trash your entire system and sometimes it cannot be rolled back or restored, the only solution being if you have a good backup or starting all over with a clean install.

The registry can become bloated, especially if you install and uninstall a lot of programs because the majority of them leave a lot of junk behind in the registry.  I prefer using Revo Uninstaller or Total Uninstall that track installations and then use it to uninstall them, this seems to get rid of the junk in the registry best.  You can blame Microsoft for not holding developers feet to the fire when it comes to programs.  Initially, with the beginning of  'modern' windows with Windows 95, they advertised that the 'new' registry was better than the 'ini' file system because programs would clean out all unnecessary entries there and all pieces in the temp folder when the system was restarted and totally clean out all of a programs entries when it was uninstalled.  We have known since the day they said that that none of that has ever been true.  One of the biggest collections of junk can be found in the c:\users\%username%\appdata\local\temp folder which can be cleaned frequently since it isn't supposed to be a location to store needed data.

Best advice is find something YOU are comfortable using and don't delete anything you aren't sure you don't need.  There is NO magic Windows program that will clean up a system that is heavily used other than to do a clean install.  If that sounds disappointing, it is, but blame it on Microsoft, since not one of their marketing statements has ever existed in fact other than their chest beating over being the most used OS.  I especially love the latest one that Windows 10 is the most secure OS ever.  Bullshit, they should be sued for lying.  Windows 1.0 was the most secure OS they ever produced and I can prove that.  It was NEVER hacked, NEVER infected with malware or viruses, and NEVER required monthly patches to make it work like it was supposed to right out of the box.

I think you should not touch register if you don't have knowledge about it! CCleaner for safer use

Personally I would never use any registery cleaner.

So, you use a registry cleaner. Well, that’s fine, none of us wants to be ‘dirty’. If you run it, it will ‘clean up’ your registry.

The only conclusion left is that Registry Cleaners shouldn’t be used, especially ones that are not well known …

If a registry cleaner deleted 100,000 registry values, it would not substantially impact performance.

When mistakes are made, they are annoying. If you use a registry cleaner, it is up to YOU to keep up with exclusions!

BUT if you are going to use one anyway:  YOU need to be responsible for excluding critical keys. You can identify them when they come back. That means something is using that key! It does NOT mean ‘my registry is dirty and I can’t clean it of this key!’.

Why do I care? Well, because this is my profession. Also, I am the one who has to deal with all these pointlessly deleted in-use registry keys!

Bitsum - Useless Registry Cleaners

ashish1989

Avg pc tune up been using it for many years

Never had any problem

stylemessiah

Would never use any of them.....seen far too much evidence of the issues they can cause over 30 years....

brain_death

I like the Windows Manager by Yamicsoft that suits whatever OS you're on...

I have been using its various incarnations since XP days and have only once had a problem, on a beta version of Windows 'Next' it wasn't really built for.

You'll be prompted to do a full or partial backup of your registry before doing anything drastic, anyhow. Ccleaner is a good second choice...

:D

To remove Registry remnants (i.e. after uninstalling "stubborn" software), I've used Registry Trash Keys Finder and RegSeeker.

Used them all over the last ODD years... except cacheman.. Now i dont use any mainly due to the fact i do reboot my computer.

I use ERUNT to backup my registry every night at midnight.. NTREGOPT which comes as a regcleaner compliments it. never had any issues <<not used this year..

Erunt 1st to back up the registry and to restore it if necessary..

NTREPOPT.. click, go and reboot.. job done.

And you also missed out Registry First Aid which is pretty good aswell.

Monkey D. Luffy

Yeah haha now I wish I didnt touch the registry besides CCleaner... now that I ran JV and Yamicsoft windows 8 my computer bugged out, I restored, but now OBS crashes on open, even after a fresh reinstall. Any tips with that?

Archived