Redmond puts wall around Windows 10 for Chinese government edition

Batu69

Middle Kingdom mandarins get their own OS

Windows 10 China

Windows 10, the Chinese government-approved version

While much attention has been focused on the new Surface Pro laptop Microsoft has launched in Shanghai on Tuesday, the company also announced a special build of its operating system for China.

Dubbed the Windows 10 China Government Edition, the new OS is a product of over a year of collaboration with local trader China Electronics Technology Group Corp (CETC) to build a version of Windows that the Chinese government would feel comfortable using.

"The Windows 10 China Government Edition is based on Windows 10 Enterprise Edition, which already includes many of the security, identity, deployment, and manageability features governments and enterprises need," said Windows boss Terry Myerson.

"The China Government Edition will use these manageability features to remove features that are not needed by Chinese government employees, like OneDrive, to manage all telemetry and updates, and to enable the government to use its own encryption algorithms within its computer systems."

Details are very thin about what else is missing compared to the Windows 10 builds available in the West. Presumably a lot less information is collected by the notoriously data-hungry OS, and little of it is likely to flow to Redmond's servers. Any info that is extracted is almost certainly staying in China.

In the wake of the Snowden revelations, China demanded to see the source code of some computer products sold within its borders, including those from Microsoft. Redmond refused, but the new joint venture appears to have found favor with the Middle Kingdom mandarins by letting them add their own security code.

It's a market Microsoft is desperate to stay in. A lot of Chinese government offices use Windows, and most of them now pay for it. In the past, China was a hotspot for pirated versions of the operating system. However, a sustained campaign by Microsoft and the Chinese government has ensured that most copies of the OS used are now legal.

There's no firm release date yet for the new operating system, but Lenovo will be including it in its offerings and trials have been announced at China Customs, the Shanghai local government offices, and state-owned enterprise Westone Information Industry.

Article source

Other source: Announcing Windows 10 China Government Edition

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 6:51 AM, BioHazard said:

I love to get my hands on it. :)

Move to China then.

I don't even know why Microsoft waste their time with politics and governments with poor human rights records.

17 hours ago, LeeSmithG said:

Move to China then.

I don't even know why Microsoft waste their time with politics and governments with poor human rights records.

It's none of your business what I want to test.

Screen shot of my Windows 10 Chinese government Edition, and I didn't have to move to China to get it.

Enterprise G

Spoiler

70gdbBC.jpg

Enterprise GN

Spoiler

RpYt1Fv.jpg

30 minutes ago, BioHazard said:

Screen shot of my Windows 10 Chinese government Edition, and I didn't have to move to China to get it.

Enterprise G

Reveal hidden contents

70gdbBC.jpg

Enterprise GN

Reveal hidden contents

RpYt1Fv.jpg

Impressive, use Enterprise China Government in your everyday work

Lenovo is involved in this OS edition. Does Lenovo include their Superfish software (again) in government computers?

18 hours ago, BioHazard said:

It's none of your business what I want to test.

Wow, nice to see you pride yourself on respect and find it necessary to be abusive in someone replies to your posts on forums.

2 hours ago, LeeSmithG said:

Wow, nice to see you pride yourself on respect and find it necessary to be abusive in someone replies to your posts on forums.

you are back to my ignore list, this time permanent, you won't see me reply again. 

ArtificalExtelegence

Interesting! I've been looking for this myself. A private pointer would be most welcome.

Salutations from the newbie on the block. :ph34r:

1 minute ago, ArtificalExtelegence said:

Interesting! I've been looking for this myself. A private pointer would be most welcome.

Salutations from the newbie on the block. :ph34r:

thanks to @november_ra1n

you can create it yourself here :)

1 minute ago, ArtificalExtelegence said:

Thanks! :D

please use the thanks button :cheers:

Archived