Advice needed: Dual-boot possibilities on Enterprise Laptop

JohnMarston

JohnMarston

Dear Nsaners.. I have a question for all the OS techies and hope you can give me some advice.

I have a company laptop with enterprise software and networking. There are strict security measures and I am not allowed to install any own software (which I full support). Software and security control is centrally managed and deployed, for example we are not yet ready to convert to Win10 and my current OS is Win8.1.

I would like to know if it is possible to install a second HDD (I believe I have a 2nd SSD slot), install another OS (like Win10) on there which I can use for my personal software and files. 

Please note that our company HDD is BitLocker encrypted and since it is a HP model, there is something like TPM enabled.

Ultimately, I would like to boot the laptop, choose either my personal account or my work account, without any of the 2 interfering with or having access to eachother.

I would even prefer that when I log onto either of the accounts, I only have access to that drive associated with it.

Is this possible?

• Replies 4
  • Views 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You will run into problems with BITLOCKER if you do that: 

Spoiler

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/9528.how-to-multiboot-with-bitlocker-tpm-and-a-non-windows-os.aspx#Step_7_Enable_TPM_in_BIOS

EasyBCD 2.1.2 is a third party tool that allows you do dual-boot between Windows 7, Windows Vista, older versions of Windows such as XP & 2003, Linux, Ubuntu, BSD, and Mac OS X.
NOTE: you will not be able to access the volume encrypted with Bitlocker after this procedure.

Install the other OS to partition 3to partition 3, but make sure that its boot files are also on partition 3!  Most Linux OS distros will attempt to make changes to the MBR or install their own bootloader in partition 1, and use that to pass the boot process off to Windows.  This will break BitLocker because it invalidates the boot-time chain of trust.  To be safe, just make sure that everything the other OS wants to do is pointed at partition #3.

JohnMarston

Thank you Teodz

I will take some time over the coming weekend and read the articles you posted in more detail.

I will most definitely be running Windows alongside Windows, it is just a question of having the system and accounts set up in such a way that the compant security is not compromised.

11 hours ago, JohnMarston said:

Dear Nsaners.. I have a question for all the OS techies and hope you can give me some advice.

I have a company laptop with enterprise software and networking. There are strict security measures and I am not allowed to install any own software (which I full support). Software and security control is centrally managed and deployed, for example we are not yet ready to convert to Win10 and my current OS is Win8.1.

I would like to know if it is possible to install a second HDD (I believe I have a 2nd SSD slot), install another OS (like Win10) on there which I can use for my personal software and files. 

Please note that our company HDD is BitLocker encrypted and since it is a HP model, there is something like TPM enabled.

Ultimately, I would like to boot the laptop, choose either my personal account or my work account, without any of the 2 interfering with or having access to eachother.

I would even prefer that when I log onto either of the accounts, I only have access to that drive associated with it.

Is this possible?

I expect you have admin rights, in which case install virtual box and run your offdomain OS in a VM, any other way and I'd make sure you lost your job, I also expect you signed a company clause which stated that tampering with company issue hardware would involve HR action, and dismissal ?

We lock them down for a reason, it makes our job easier, also we use SCCM to report free disk space.

Outside that, yes you can, but I wouldn't support it. ;)

The last thing your company want you is to use your laptops for personal use...

I suggest not tampering with the unit (as explained by Dodel)

Archived