Privacy warning: Netgear routers copy Windows 10 and start 'collecting analytics data'

Karlston

netgear-r7000-router

A firmware update to the Netgear R7000 router adds a new feature that will concern privacy advocates. The update allows Netgear to start "collecting analytics data" and the release notes warn that: "NOTE: It is strongly recommended that after the firmware is updated to this version, you log back in to the router's web GUI and configure the settings for this feature."

Netgear says that the data collection is to help it "isolate and debug technical issues" and does not -- according to the company -- include details such as the websites that are visited, but it will still be a cause of concern for many people. It's hard not to draw parallels with Windows 10 which has managed to upset many users with its telemetry settings.

The data that's being collected by Netgear is what many people would consider to be personal information, but the company makes no apologies for the firmware update. It is possible to disable the telemetry, but it remains to be seen how many people are aware of how this can be done -- or, indeed, how many know that the new settings exist.

An article on the Netgear support website gives an idea of the sort of information that might be collected in this way:

Technical data about the functioning and use of our routers and their WiFi network can help us to more quickly isolate and debug general technical issues, improve router features and functionality, and improve the performance and usability of our routers.  Such data may include information regarding the router's running status, number of devices connected to the router, types of connections, LAN/WAN status, WiFi bands and channels, IP address, MAC address, serial number, and similar technical data about the use and functioning of the router, as well as its WiFi network.

Source: Privacy warning: Netgear routers copy Windows 10 and start 'collecting analytics data' (BetaNews)

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Collecting technical issues

what kind of information they possibly need to improve just a router. I have a wireless TP-Link router its firmware belongs to 8 years ago or more, and works like a charm. 

• Administrator
9 hours ago, saeed_dc said:

Collecting technical issues

what kind of information they possibly need to improve just a router. I have a wireless TP-Link router its firmware belongs to 8 years ago or more, and works like a charm. 

I suggest updating it though. A lots and lots of router related security issues have been found throughout the years. They are usually targeted and need to be updated. Unless you have a wireless only router or a ADSL router which unfortunately do not get much updates though.

1 hour ago, edwardecl said:

Why it's best to get a router that you can flash a custom firmware on.

Indeed. Tomato (Shibby's) runs fine on my R7000.

16 hours ago, DKT27 said:

I suggest updating it though. A lots and lots of router related security issues have been found throughout the years. They are usually targeted and need to be updated. Unless you have a wireless only router or a ADSL router which unfortunately do not get much updates though.

yes they don't make updates, not that i don't update it intentionally.

Akaneharuka

I have 5 years old D-Link router work-fine  and never need to update firm ware.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, saeed_dc said:

yes they don't make updates, not that i don't update it intentionally.

5 hours ago, Akaneharuka said:

I have 5 years old D-Link router work-fine  and never need to update firm ware.

I assure you guys ADSL routers are no unknown things to security issues. Just not so long ago I found that my not used anymore ADSL router is remotely accessible with a simple default password remotely - through internet, inspite of specifically disabling that. Then let alone other type of common security issues.

The first thing you guys should do is one, change your default router password and two disable remote access to your router, as if you do not, anyone can access your router through internet by just typing admin / admin on it.

3 hours ago, DKT27 said:

I assure you guys ADSL routers are no unknown things to security issues. Just not so long ago I found that my not used anymore ADSL router is remotely accessible with a simple default password remotely - through internet, inspite of specifically disabling that. Then let alone other type of common security issues.

The first thing you guys should do is one, change your default router password and two disable remote access to your router, as if you do not, anyone can access your router through internet by just typing admin / admin on it.

That's the method I used couple years ago to access other routers on my ISP network, they all changed their default password by now :(

Archived