Soundgarden's Chris Cornell Dead at 52

Agent 86

Soundgarden - Burden in My Hand (SNL 1996)

R.I.P. Mr Chris Cornell 5-17-17

sorry post in wrong place, reported.

Audioslave, Temple of the Dog singer dies by suicide in Detroit hotel room

Chris Cornell, the dynamic vocalist and guitarist whose versatile showmanship as Soundgarden and Temple of the Dog's frontman was a signpost of the grunge era, died by suicide Wednesday night. He was 52.

Cornell killed himself by hanging, according to the Wayne County Medical Examiner (via Associated Press). A full autopsy report was still being completed as of Thursday afternoon.

Police received a 911 call at approximately 12 a.m. from a family friend, according to Michael Woody, Director of Media Relations for the Detroit Police Department. When the friend went to Cornell's hotel room at the MGM Grand Detroit to check on him, he "made it inside the hotel room, where he found Mr. Cornell unresponsive laying on the bathroom floor," according to Woody. EMS workers pronounced Cornell dead at the scene.

Earlier on Wednesday, the singer had played a show with Soundgarden, who were midway through their tour. "His wife, Vicky, and family were shocked to learn of his sudden and unexpected passing, and they will be working closely with the medical examiner to determine the cause," his publicist said in a statement.

Cornell's peers and influences posted numerous tributes to the singer-guitarist on social media. "A shining voice in music has left us in the midnight," Perry Farrell tweeted. "He was a complex and gentle soul. Chris Cornell has flown into the black hole sun."

Jimmy Page called the singer "Incredibly talented. Incredibly young. Incredibly missed," Elton John wrote, "Shocked and saddened by the sudden death of Chris Cornell. A great singer, songwriter and the loveliest man."

Cornell's artistry was marked by his impressive multi-octave vocal range that displayed a rare sensitivity within heavy music. With Soundgarden, he could shift between raging metal declarations ("Jesus Christ Pose"), somber mood pieces ("Fell on Black Days") and psychedelia ("Black Hole Sun") with ease.

After years of playing generally aggressive music in the Eighties, his full range of musical expression showed in 1991 when he created Temple of the Dog – a supergroup featuring Soundgarden and eventual Pearl Jam members – to pay tribute to late Mother Love Bone frontman Andrew Wood.

He later explored heavier territory with members of Rage Against the Machine in the supergroup Audioslave and his delicate side as a solo artist, with frequent acoustic shows in recent years. Between Soundgarden and his other projects, Cornell reportedly sold nearly 15 million albums altogether in the U.S.

Soundgarden's Chris Cornell Dead at 52

• Replies 7
  • Views 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Topic move from security & privacy news forum.

Topic edited: Added more article & tags.

I aslo edited topic by removing two emoticons, on reflection it looked disrespectful, I did not intend it so, also thank you @Batu69 for fixin' things.

RIP Chris

Too sad that someone admired buy fans, with fame and fortune, has a period of depression and can't find other solucion to his problems than the suicide.

Soundgarden had some great hits. Those I most like are "Black hole Sun" though I agree that  "Burden in my Hand" is also among the best.

Ironically, first line of his "Blow Up The Outside World"; is "Nothing seem to kill me no matter how hard I try"...

Audioslave' autodenominated album is also a great production, a must have in any hard rock collection.

• 9 months later...

Archived