Welcome to nsane.forums

Welcome to nsane.forums, like most online communities you need to register to view parts of our community or to make contributions, but don't worry: this is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of nsane.forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Access special members only forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eurotrash

WD 4TB Question - SOLVED

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone, I just bought a WD 4TB external HD, I attached it to the laptop new from the package and it starts making clicking sounds, sort of like mouse clicks. I disconnected the drive and reconnected it, no clicking, disconnected and reconnected, clicking again. So my question is, is it defective or is this normal for this kind of drive? I have other WD drives, but they are older versions. Does anyone else have the new WD HD? Is the clicking sound normal for this type? Thx in advance!

Edited by eurotrash
3 people liked / thanked this

I have SEAGATE External Harddisk 1 TB and It make ding dong sound  everytime I connect it to my labtop :eekout:

Clicking could be caused by BAD SECTORS, insufficient power drawn from the USB ports...

Look at the Windows Event Logs on Computer Management on the Control Panel

If you see Disk Errors on the System Logs, be very worried...

7 minutes ago, Akaneharuka said:

I have SEAGATE External Harddisk 1 TB and It make ding dong sound  everytime I connect it to my labtop :eekout:

Could be just the normal notification when you connect a USB storage on your PC

3 people liked / thanked this

36 minutes ago, eurotrash said:

Hi everyone, I just bought a WD 4TB external HD, I attached it to the laptop new from the package and it starts making clicking sounds, sort of like mouse clicks. I disconnected the drive and reconnected it, no clicking, disconnected and reconnected, clicking again. So my question is, is it defective or is this normal for this kind of drive? I have other WD drives, but they are older versions. Does anyone else have the new WD HD? Is the clicking sound normal for this type? Thx in advance!

External HDD clicking sounds are not normal.

Try connecting to a desktop PC and see if you can still hear the clicking sounds.

2 people liked / thanked this

Thanks for replying. I still have no idea what has causes the clicking, but amazon has agreed to replace the HD. Guess that means it was defective. Thanks again for replying!

1 person liked / thanked this