ExtraTorrents is down... permanently.

nIGHT

• Replies 53
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Archaven said:

wondering how do i get started with newsgroup.

Firstly, have a read of this to get to know what Newsgroups (UseNet) are all about... Newsgroups Intro (Slyck)

---

Secondly, sign up with a Usenet provider. I use NewsGroupDirect. Remember the username/password you get. NewsGroupDirect have around 9 years binary retention time.

You can either buy monthly plans or block plans. I buy block plans because (1) they don't expire, and (2) they can be shared with friends.

---

Thirdy, get yourself a UseNet client.

SABnzbd is popular. I use an old one called alt.binz.

You'll need to configure the client with your provider username/password and download locations and...

---

Lastly, find a newsgroup search engine. I use NZBIndex (free) and OZnzb (paid).

HTH

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet_newsgroup
While USENET has been around fir decades, it has  lost considerable ground to individually-operated browser-accessible forums and big media social networks such as Facebook and Twitter.

Transmission within and at the bounds of the network uses the Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP), an Internet standard.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_News_Transfer_Protocol.

Other oldie protocols than can still be used are FTP, FXP or even DCC of IRC

It may not work with everyone since ISP are notorious for blocking these common ports.. 

I guess Direct DLs via file lockers are still popular because of speed (until they get takedowns too)

15 hours ago, Karlston said:

Firstly, have a read of this to get to know what Newsgroups (UseNet) are all about... Newsgroups Intro (Slyck)

---

Secondly, sign up with a Usenet provider. I use NewsGroupDirect. Remember the username/password you get. NewsGroupDirect have around 9 years binary retention time.

You can either buy monthly plans or block plans. I buy block plans because (1) they don't expire, and (2) they can be shared with friends.

---

Thirdy, get yourself a UseNet client.

SABnzbd is popular. I use an old one called alt.binz.

You'll need to configure the client with your provider username/password and download locations and...

---

Lastly, find a newsgroup search engine. I use NZBIndex (free) and OZnzb (paid).

HTH

Thanks! Will check them out. Seems like it need to pay? As with DD or BT it's free.

Archived