ExtraTorrents is down... permanently.

nIGHT

ExtraTorrent Shuts Down For Good

Popular torrent site ExtraTorrent has permanently shut down. The abrupt decision was announced a few minutes ago in a brief message posted on the site's homepage. This means that after the demise of KickassTorrents and Torrentz.eu, the torrent community must say farewell to another major player.

extratorrent

In a surprise move, ExtraTorrent decided to shut down today, for good.

Users who access the site’s homepage are welcomed by a short but clear message, indicating that the popular torrent index will not return (the message appears intermittently).

“ExtraTorrent has shut down permanently.”

“ExtraTorrent with all mirrors goes offline.. We permanently erase all data. Stay away from fake ExtraTorrent websites and clones. Thx to all ET supporters and torrent community. ET was a place to be….”

TorrentFreak reached out to ExtraTorrent operator SaM who confirmed that this is indeed the end of the road for the site.

“It’s time we say goodbye,” he said, without providing more details.

extratorrentdown.png

With ExtraTorrent’s demise the BitTorrent community has lost yet another prominent player. Whether this also means the end of associated release groups, such as EtHD and ettv, remains to be seen.

ExtraTorrent was founded in November 2006, at a time when sites such as TorrentSpy and Mininova were dominating the landscape. Nonetheless, ExtraTorrent was determined to develop an audience of its own.

The site went on to outgrow many of its predecessors and with millions of daily visitors, ExtraTorrent ended up as the second largest torrent site, trailing only behind The Pirate Bay.

The site’s popularity placed it in the crosshairs of various entertainment industry groups in recent months. These outfits regularly pressured hosting companies and domain name services to take action.

It’s unclear whether legal pressure had anything to do with the decision to shut down, but that wouldn’t come as a surprise.

ExtraTorrent is the latest in a series of BitTorrent giants to fall in recent months. Previously, sites including KickassTorrents, Torrentz.eu, TorrentHound and What.cd went offline.

Source

• Replies 53
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rico69Suave

It was my main torrent site and visited every single day since discovered. Farewell Extratorrent, and rest in pepperoni. :,(

Now that's sucks...:angry:

Not good right? :(

This was not only a movie torrent site, for others this was also a good torrent source for softwares.

i was using this site since 2006 and now its gone

still have two sites

1337x.to

and

usabit.com (for movies only)

Any other sites to download legit torrents both software and movies

donkey-girl

Damm, now back to my old account on TPB and 1337x.to

:( running out of options & torrent-legends ... R.I.P.  ET

straycat19

Falling like dominoes.  The really bad news isn't that another site is gone but that there are fewer sites now that the legal authorities have to keep an eye on which means they can expend more manpower and resources to tracking people on those sites.  Nothing lasts forever.  25 years ago the place to be was on news groups.  Back then authorities were watching it and the biggest posters were being busted.  Today there is still a lot, and I mean a lot, of the same data on the news groups that are on torrent sites but no one is watching them.  Illegal content is still up there after several years, yours for the taking.  I still use Forte Agent to access them.

• Administrator

I personally never liked it. There many things in it which made me feel so.

But it's sad to see this. My personal views aside, it was one of the top site and this is not good.

I disagree with people who say one will go more will come. While some more might have come, they probably do not have the quality and quantity of torrents and seeders as much as big ones might do so.

1 hour ago, DKT27 said:

I personally never liked it. There many things in it which made me feel so.

But it's sad to see this. My personal views aside, it was one of the top site and this is not good.

I disagree with people who say one will go more will come. While some more might have come, they probably do not have the quality and quantity of torrents and seeders as much as big ones might do so.

The site was really crap they always used too much ads  there is plenty of sites left that have good quality there called private p2p . Even the public p2p site were most the of releases come from they steal there source releases  from  private p2p that are done by the real seance and groups on private p2p and retag  them .

Big Source releases are like Free Leech on the site I belong too and these be the ones they be stealing and re tagging as FGT but FGT also steals a lot Itunes and webrips  as well from everywhere..

Never like Et because of the organization

everything was mixed up .. new stuff  with old stuff

Sites come and GO who ever movies too number the #1  spot next well have a lot of pressure to close down next  if they dont get shut down.  two of the admins at ET were lucky they closed down before  they got put in jail  but Baker who was also a Admin there once he was not so lucky he got put in jail in the UK for releasing. ET admin always took a big risk because they were not just Admin they encoded releases and released too the public witch really can get you in trouble ET Release Group but in recent years i dont download there outdated XVID releases. XVID died when the real scene  switched to x264  :P

I have  a list of all the p2p sites there has been like 5 new ones open up this year  and the year is not even half over yet I dont worry about it very much as long as new ones keep opening lol.

Really bad news .. my fav torrent site. Got use to it. :(:(
now have to find another.

Nobody can replace our preferred publisher but somehow there are alternatives.

Spoiler

My friends here are some alternatives I used before ET got shutdown.

https://rarbg.to/
It is just like ExtraTorrents will all the ads and categories except books but it has trailers for the movies.
http://1337x.to/home/
Just like ExtraTorrents and Rarbg.to but with different layout
https://katcr.co/new/
Tried to copy the old Kat.cr layout before it got shutdown but turned into slightly different one.
It has a community, a forum just like nSane, where they teach you how to encode movies, request rare files and stuff!

3 hours ago, straycat19 said:

25 years ago the place to be was on news groups.

still is IMHO, yea sure not the "golden age" but still active! "and loving it!

Archived