What Is UEFI, and How Is It Different from BIOS?

Batu69

18 minutes ago, tomm said:

@Error0101 I'm using UEFI. I always format OS partition during Windows Setup process and it never fails.

Do you use diskpart or Windows Setup to format your OS partition?

I using format tool default in Windows setup progressm like this picture, I choose old OS partition and choose Format

install-windows-multiple-partitions4.png

2 minutes ago, rahuldohare said:

correct @Error0101 i face same problem when i format my pc.

Finally, I found someone has the same situation like me. Hope experts on nsaneforums can help us!

• Replies 44
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Error0101 The easiest way is by creating a bootable disk of a Partition software (most partition softwares have this feature) or you can use WinPE if you have one. But if neither of those are possible for your case then try to follow this guide. Bear in mind it's done via cmd so you need to read the guide carefully.

Hello Guys,

I do not have these kinds of issues.

Anytime after I have bought a notebook / computer....etc....I have converted the disk to GPT and I have installed Windows.

First time when you will install Windows you will get 4 partitions : EFI partition system, main partition (C) and other two : Recovery and a partition reserved by M$.

For me, the recovery and reserved partitions are usless crap, so I have deleted them and I merged the free spece with the others partitions .

So to every of my computers I have this configuration :

1 EFI system partition hidden
1 Main partition ( C )
1 or more partitions for additional data , usually 1 in my case because I have SSDs

Everytime when I need to install a new clean copy of Windows only I have to format the first 2 partitions ( EFI + C ) any other data from the rest remains untouched.

Greetings,

;)

3 hours ago, Recruit said:

Hello Guys,

I do not have these kinds of issues.

Anytime after I have bought a notebook / computer....etc....I have converted the disk to GPT and I have installed Windows.

First time when you will install Windows you will get 4 partitions : EFI partition system, main partition (C) and other two : Recovery and a partition reserved by M$.

For me, the recovery and reserved partitions are usless crap, so I have deleted them and I merged the free spece with the others partitions .

So to every of my computers I have this configuration :

1 EFI system partition hidden
1 Main partition ( C )
1 or more partitions for additional data , usually 1 in my case because I have SSDs

Everytime when I need to install a new clean copy of Windows only I have to format the first 2 partitions ( EFI + C ) any other data from the rest remains untouched.

Greetings,

;)

I don't know why when I formatting old OS partition (C partition), I get the error that I need convert to GPT disk to continue install, and after that, I need format all of others partition. So I lost all things

10 minutes ago, Error0101 said:

I don't know why when I formatting old OS partition (C partition), I get the error that I need convert to GPT disk to continue install, and after that, I need format all of others partition. So I lost all things

Yes, try to save all your data before to play with things like MiniTool Partition Wizard RlW5CMh.gif

Source for the emoticon @dcs18

macnavarra
32 minutes ago, Error0101 said:

Get an HDD less then 2TB or 2TB and you won´t get these message no more.

have you tried to reset the UEFI security key before install or turn off UEFI security?.

12 hours ago, Error0101 said:

In my opinion, the worst thing of UEFI is when I reinstall Windows, I need format all partitions on hard drive, not can only format OS partition.

12 hours ago, Error0101 said:

It makes me loosing all things on my machine!

That is the exact interpretation of the term, clean install — if you did not lose your stuff on a clean UEFI format, your installation failed, isn't it?.

8 hours ago, Error0101 said:

Hope experts on nsaneforums can help us!

You do not need any additional tools to format to a full, clean, UEFI re-install — just follow this tutorial. ;)

14 hours ago, Error0101 said:

Hi, all things I mean in this picture

UEFI-error.jpg

when I format old OS partition to make clean Windows install, If I use UEFI, I need to format all others partition. That makes all of my files gone

It's already been said, and the answer is in what you posted, simply convert the HD to GPT and you're done.

11 hours ago, macnavarra said:

Get an HDD less then 2TB or 2TB and you won´t get these message no more.

have you tried to reset the UEFI security key before install or turn off UEFI security?.

My HDD is less than 2TB, and still receive the message. And I did not try turn UEFI security off. I will. Thanks for your help!

11 hours ago, dcs18 said:

That is the exact interpretation of the term, clean install — if you did not lose your stuff on a clean UEFI format, your installation failed, isn't it?.

You do not need any additional tools to format to a full, clean, UEFI re-install — just follow this tutorial. ;)

I think I make some wrong step before, I will backup all of my important files and try your given tutorial. Thanks for your help

6 hours ago, Dodel said:

It's already been said, and the answer is in what you posted, simply convert the HD to GPT and you're done.

The problem is when I see the message, I'm in installation process. So I cannot using Partition software to convert it to GPT without loosing my data. If I use CMD to convert to GPT, I will lost my all files (That's not what I want). Anyway, thank you for your reply!

Hi everyone, If I use another SSD using caddy bay to install Windows on it. And if I get the error like before, I will only lost data on SSD when I format, right? Everything on HDD will remain?

Will your windows installer recognize the ssd on caddy @ boot?

Unless you are careful, there is a chance you might wipe/erase the wrong drive 

4 hours ago, teodz1984 said:

Will your windows installer recognize the ssd on caddy @ boot?

Unless you are careful, there is a chance you might wipe/erase the wrong drive 

Sorry sir, I don't understand what you say. Can you explain more detail?

1. can your computer detect the SSD when you mount in the on caddy when you boot it  from windows installer media (CD or USB)?

2. if you boot can you identify the both drives? if so be careful choosing the right disk.. choose the wrong disk and you may end up formatting the wrong drive.

perlinpinpin

To Error0101 : I have done the same (but on a desktop with 1 ssd and 2 hdd). The best way to avoid confusion for Windows installation is, during the installation process, you disconnect the hdd et have only the ssd connected. After windows is installed, you can re-connect your hdd with your precious data. I have always my data (documents, pictures, videos...) on the hdd, and the OS and software on the ssd. So, in case you need re-installation of windows, it's only the ssd and softwares are gonne, but never the data.

You have a good point isolating the Hard drive by disconnecting to the system

But since his HDD is on a laptop, 

• it would be finicky to remove the ribbon data cable and power cables from the internal drive.. since these are very small
  • if he commits the neophyte error of seating and unseating these drives while the laptop power is on could end up shorting the LAPTOP and or hard disk..  making them large expensive paperweights.

In both case it is better to get these done by someone with experience

17 hours ago, teodz1984 said:

1. can your computer detect the SSD when you mount in the on caddy when you boot it  from windows installer media (CD or USB)?

2. if you boot can you identify the both drives? if so be careful choosing the right disk.. choose the wrong disk and you may end up formatting the wrong drive.

1. I think I will move old HDD disk to caddy bay, and new SSD will attach to main laptop hard drive slot

2. I think I will identify these 2 disk by its disk space (its capacity)

Anyway, thanks for your reply!

17 hours ago, perlinpinpin said:

To Error0101 : I have done the same (but on a desktop with 1 ssd and 2 hdd). The best way to avoid confusion for Windows installation is, during the installation process, you disconnect the hdd et have only the ssd connected. After windows is installed, you can re-connect your hdd with your precious data. I have always my data (documents, pictures, videos...) on the hdd, and the OS and software on the ssd. So, in case you need re-installation of windows, it's only the ssd and softwares are gonne, but never the data.

Your recommendation is great. But I'm using laptop as @teodz1984 said, so if I do like your recommendation, it will take me a lot of time (Not like your PC). Anyway, thanks for your reply!

Akaneharuka
On 2017/5/17 at 9:46 AM, Error0101 said:

In my opinion, the worst thing of UEFI is when I reinstall Windows, I need format all partitions on hard drive, not can only format OS partition. It makes me loosing all things on my machine!

You only need to change your booth-loader option to legacy boot and you will don:t have that problem anymore :)

7 minutes ago, Akaneharuka said:

You only need to change your booth-loader option to legacy boot and you will don:t have that problem anymore :)

Can you explain more specific? Thank you for your guide!

29 minutes ago, Error0101 said:

I think what she is saying is go to uefi settings enable legacy boot.

Akaneharuka
10 hours ago, Error0101 said:

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, Like the @BioHazard said above.

Enable the legacy boot.

Archived