Welcome to nsane.forums

Welcome to nsane.forums, like most online communities you need to register to view parts of our community or to make contributions, but don't worry: this is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of nsane.forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Access special members only forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Batu69

This Indian Student Made World's Smallest Satellite

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The outstanding fact is the educational system that can produce an 18-years-old student with the technological capacity and knowledge to design and pruduce a satelite.  Also shows the enormous gap in Indian society where hi technology is available for an important sector of the society but still about the 20%, about 270 millions of people live in extreme poverty and ignorance.

Edited by luisam
5 people liked / thanked this

Kudos to Abdul Kalam. This is the type of students that we need today.

3 people liked / thanked this

Why should U.S use that? doesn't India have its own space agency?

1 person liked / thanked this

8 hours ago, vitorio said:

...This is the type of students that we need today...

An ancient Sanskrit Poem --  Qualities of a Student (Vidyaarthee):

काकचेष्टा बकोध्यानं श्वाननिद्रा तथैव च |
अल्पाहारी ब्रह्मचारी विद्यार्थी पञ्चलक्षणम् ||

Meaning:

Agility of a crow (kaaka), concentration of a crane (baka), light sleep like a dog (shvaana), light eater (alpaa-haari), brahmachaari (celebacy) — these are the 5 qualities of a vidyaa-arthee.   :mellow:

4 people liked / thanked this

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, saeed_dc said:

I think the answer is the same why Microsoft CEO and Google CEO are from India.

answer: the best looks for the best.

At least this is my opinion.

Edited by vitorio

11 hours ago, saeed_dc said:

Because this project sponsored by NASA(USA), of course NASA want take benefit on it.

According news from BBC

Rifath Shaarook's 64-gram (0.14 lb) device was selected as the winner in a youth design competition.

His project was selected in a challenge called Cubes in Space, organised by education company idoodle with support from Nasa and the Colorado Space Grant Consortium.

Indian teen builds world's 'lightest satellite'

4 people liked / thanked this

13 hours ago, Batu69 said:

Because this project sponsored by NASA(USA), of course NASA want take benefit on it.

Yes. Money always talks the loudest, walks the fastest, and beats "the best of the best"  --  especially these days (of 'Ghor' Kaliyuga).  ;)

[Ghor = Deep; Kaliyuga = Era (age) of Kali = Age of darkness.]  

2 people liked / thanked this

Nice to hear this. I did not get to read the articles here so I did not know it was actually going to be launched, which is nice.

On 16/5/2017 at 5:55 PM, luisam said:

The outstanding fact is the educational system that can produce an 18-years-old student with the technological capacity and knowledge to design and pruduce a satelite.  Also shows the enormous gap in Indian society where hi technology is available for an important sector of the society but still about the 20%, about 270 millions of people live in extreme poverty and ignorance.

At the risk of offending many, I personally believe a lot is being done by the current government. This includes massive improvement to the poor employment schemes, direct money transfer to bank accounts which were created in a short time nationwide for this specific purpose which almost stopped corruption in this money transfer and then asking rich / non-poor to give up on subsidies so that they can reach the poor instead. This is just one part of lots and lots of initiatives taken by the current government, but due to Indian media's biased and pathological hatred towards them and our PM, this gets scrutinized and criticized far beyond the acceptable and justified limits.

This does not mean there is no room for improvement. There is a huge room and need for improvement. It might take decades if not more, but for that a lot is being done and needs to be done. The fight with poverty needs to be done with development and financial upliftment of the country, which cannot be done with just one aim but improvement from all the sides.

As for education, it's really poor now. There too has been some minor but important changes, not much overall I think. I really like Germany's education methods, but that's just my limited knowledge about it. India's poor education problem is inspite of us once being a colony of the ones who's education might be considered among the best. To add to that, lack of education is also a big problem as inspite of free education in government schools, due to poverty, children have to work instead of study. But noble laureate famous for his child protection services to say the least, mentions that making children work are not saving the family from poverty but instead stopping them from studying are preventing the family to come out of poverty. A lot has been done throughout the decades though nothing seems enough.

I must also mention, this student is blessed to have studied in a state known for excellence in education - most of south India does, unlike some other places who's education quality is quite bad.

On 16/5/2017 at 6:35 PM, vitorio said:

Kudos to Abdul Kalam. This is the type of students that we need today.

Indeed. He has been an inspiration for so many people and continues to be so.

On 17/5/2017 at 2:51 AM, adi said:

An ancient Sanskrit Poem --  Qualities of a Student (Vidyaarthee):

काकचेष्टा बकोध्यानं श्वाननिद्रा तथैव च |
अल्पाहारी ब्रह्मचारी विद्यार्थी पञ्चलक्षणम् ||

Meaning:

Agility of a crow (kaaka), concentration of a crane (baka), light sleep like a dog (shvaana), light eater (alpaa-haari), brahmachaari (celebacy) — these are the 5 qualities of a vidyaa-arthee.   :mellow:

Nice one. This is our culture, which contains a lot of knowledge, as someone who has personally studied some of it, it's sad to see how it gets either purposely or unknowingly neglected by many I think.

Posted (edited)

On 5/16/2017 at 8:25 PM, luisam said:

The tech isn't that high. It's doodling. Just a computer, a pen (but mouse can be used here) and the site which offers the platform, is what makes this possible.

The user, in this case their target is the children, can draw and even drop some custom made parts there like a solar cell, wheels etc.

What I saw, I think it was two years ago passed, was they even simulate how to built a drone land rover, and you have the options what to put in there like arms, solar panels , etc.

You can easily provide these tech to the poor and less privilege by just giving them a computer, mouse, internet access, platform which is NASA.I'doodle.

The real product which is the real satellite is been added with solar panels and lots of stuff made by NASA, not the kid, but it is inspired by this kid's design, and this is what is amazing.

This kid's design made sense to NASA! He got the brain of an engineer so kudos to this kid!

My point here is, the tech or platform in this case, is not what made this kid great, it is just a way he was able to express his creativity and hence he is discovered to have the brain fit for an engineer of the future.

The tech is just a tool to discover who are those hidden geniuses in our society.

Hidden geniuses may or may not excel in academics but rather in application.

Edited by nIGHT

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, nIGHT said:

This kid's design made sense to NASA! He got the brain of an engineer so kudos to this kid!

Anyway, a great feature. I'm an engineer with 44 years of experience and certainly I have developed the brains of an engineer but can't imagine how any of my designs might make sense to any hi-tech organism.

Edited by luisam

16 hours ago, DKT27 said:

At the risk of offending many, I personally believe a lot is being done by the current government.

Ghanta! <_<

Three years into governance and all that they've managed to do is fuck the economy.

1 person liked / thanked this

2 hours ago, luisam said:

Anyway, a great feature. I'm an engineer with 44 years of experience and certainly I have developed the brains of an engineer but can't imagine how any of my designs might make sense to any hi-tech organism.

That is why I posted as "it makes sense to NASA" but not to me hehehe!

Cheer up my friend! Have some faith in yourself. :cheers:

Who knows, one day they will realize your design is a breakthrough! :)