Russia Plans to Keep Internet Traffic Inside the Country, Fearing Foreign Wiretaps

CrAKeN

Russian-Flag.jpg

The Russian Ministry of Communications has proposed a new plan called the "Digital Economy," according to which, the government wants to keep most of the Internet traffic inside the country, fearing it foreign governments might wiretap sensitive communications.

According to Russian newspaper Izvestia, the plan is to route all Russian Internet traffic through Russian-based servers.

Currently, documents from Russian authorities reveal that 60% of Russia's Internet traffic is re-routed through servers located in other countries.

95% of all Internet traffic to be routed locally by 2020

The Russian government plans to cut this percentage to 5% by 2020, and under 5% by 2025. A zero percentage is not possible due to enclave territories, such as the city of Kaliningrad, where traffic must be routed through other countries.

The ambitious plan is fueled by paranoia. Russian officials fear that foreign countries may intercept this traffic and spy on Russia citizens and government officials.

Furthermore, they also fear that foreign governments may log encrypted traffic. Even if this encrypted traffic is not decryptable at the moment, advances in technology may allow someone to break the encryption in upcoming years/decades, allowing access to sensitive information.

Rostelecom says it's doable

The plan also implies that major Internet services will use Russian CDNs to store local versions of their websites. Russian state-owned telecommunications provider Rostelecom said this plan is doable and will not incur heavy costs on local ISPs.

In late April, Rostelecom was caught hijacking BGP routes for popular financial services. Many suspected the hijacks — who lasted only a few minutes — were some kind of tests.

Government officials have not officially confirmed the Digital Economy plan, but this fits in with the grand scheme of things. In 2015, Russia has passed a law that forces foreign companies to keep data on Russian citizens on servers inside the country. Only LinkedIn has been forced to abide by this law until now, while other major websites received only warnings.

Similarly, in recent years Russia has been banning more and more sites it deems unacceptable. Moving most of the Internet traffic internally would simplify its ability to censor Internet content.

In late August 2016, Iran announced it concluded the first of three stages in the creation of a closed-circuit national Internet infrastructure.

Similarly, North Korea also features a restricted Internet infrastructure, which very few citizens can access, and is heavily censored.

Source

• Replies 8
  • Views 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, CrAKeN said:

Only LinkedIn has been forced to abide by this law until now, while other major websites received only warnings.

Really nothing new and that's not really true they also went after a Vpn

Private Internet Access Leaves Russia, Following Encryption Ban And Seized Servers Wed, Jul 13th 2016

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160712/23114534953/private-internet-access-leaves-russia-following-encryption-ban-seized-servers.shtml

Lol leave it to greedy Microsoft to go ahead and collect data for there Government, They helped China make there  own version of Windows 10 after all they just in it for the money. :P 

Russia's Problem (According To Russian Politicians): Not Enough Mass Surveillance Jun 23rd 2016

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160622/07052034779/russias-problem-according-to-russian-politicians-not-enough-mass-surveillance.shtml

It's a good plan, they possess the most land on the Earth and it's reasonable as well to distribute Internet servers and backbones in there instead of the whole world connecting to the west. 

ps: that linked article is totally bullshit and lie, "The World Wide Web is nearing its end in Iran" .

the plan was to separate the International gateway from Internal gateway. so for example, if a user is trying to connect to a website hosted inside country, the data, DNS requests, IPs etc won't leave the country, they are automatically routed to the DNS servers and CDNs inside country. it increases speed and bandwidth and lowers latency, also fully protected. most countries do the same, U.S is also doing this, when you use Google.com your request doesn't circle around the world and come back to your computer again if you are residing there. the ordinary Internet isn't changed.

funny tho how totalitarian governments are the only ones doing this then... and funnier still how it is being portrayed as totally innocent and good for it's citizens...and how any detractors to this have just been labeled as bullsh@t reporting..again i say what would happen to anyone speaking in public on a regular basis that said the governments or the clergy of this country was stupid or corrupt or evil....

I don't think anyone was talking to me or about my country otherwise they would have pair of Balls to quote me.

2020 is too soon for covering 95% tho

51 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

I don't think anyone was talking to me or about my country otherwise they would have pair of Balls to quote me..

"...The soft, swollen balls
Of a Divine Rogue Elephant
..."
  ~ Hafiz  ^_^

On 5/17/2017 at 5:34 AM, saeed_dc said:

the plan was to separate the International gateway from Internal gateway. so for example, if a user is trying to connect to a website hosted inside country, the data, DNS requests, IPs etc won't leave the country, they are automatically routed to the DNS servers and CDNs inside country. it increases speed and bandwidth and lowers latency, also fully protected. most countries do the same, U.S is also doing this, when you use Google.com your request doesn't circle around the world and come back to your computer again if you are residing there. the ordinary Internet isn't changed.

This is called "Common Routing Exchange" or "IP Peering" and this is the modern and most logical way to increase internet speed.

We just did this last year after many years of fighting the most dominant but greedy corporation to allow this access.

The ones that will most benefit for this tech are the gaming sectors and the those users accessing locally hosted sites and local sites serving local users.

Imagine the short ping and routing between servers and users while gaming and you eliminate the lag and delays in gaming and page loading.

Though, this tech is still susceptible to man-in-the-middle (MITM) attack, but you are already susceptible to MITM as long as you are connected to your ISP.

Not even changing from your LOCAL DNS to an international DNS server can prevent this, or even a secured connection (HTTPS) as this can be solved using an appliance, only a good no log vpn can that does not sell out.

Believe me, ISP can see your public shared files when you pass to your ISP even with a secured connection.

Sometimes they notify you most of the times not.

Turn off public folder sharing, always use secured connection over vpn and hope your country does not sell you out or incriminate you.

The benefit outweighs the risk though.

If you are just gaming then no more concern on this surveillance as the ISP and gov't would not care whatever you do inside the game. :P

7 hours ago, adi said:
"...The soft, swollen balls
Of a Divine Rogue Elephant
..."
  ~ Hafiz  ^_^

Omg I'm dead hahaha :lmao:

Archived