Firefox 57: new Photon design screenshots

Batu69

The following article gives you a glimpse of the upcoming Photon design of the Firefox web browser which will come out later this year.

Mozilla plans to make Firefox 57 a milestone release. It is the version of Firefox in which the cut is made that leaves legacy add-ons behind, and also the Firefox version that will feature a design update.

This design update is called Photon, and we talked about this previously already here on Ghacks Technology News.

Mozilla released a batch of new mockup screenshots of the upcoming design in the past week. Sören Hentzschel was nice enough to collect those and publish them on his blog, so, thanks to him for making those available to a larger audience.

Note: The following design screenshots are mockups, and not necessarily the final product.

Firefox 57: new Photon design screenshots

firefox 57 photon design

We have talked about the new main menu of the Photon-enabled Firefox browser already. Mozilla moves away from the icon-focused menu to one that looks almost like a right-click context menu instead.

It features more options, some with, others without icons, and also a touch-variant that users may use when they work on touch-enabled devices.

The touch menu of Firefox Photon may look like the following one:

firefox 57 touch menu

The core change is that the space between menu items is larger for easier selection of options displayed in the menu.

The entries look identical right now, we will see if that will be the case when Photon is released in a future version of the Firefox web browser.

One new feature of Firefox 57 will be that you can display the browser's sidebar on the right side. Current versions of Firefox support it only on the left, but with the new version comes an option to display it on the right instead.

The following screenshot shows that, and the new design of the sidebar as well.

firefox 57 sidebar design

The three dots menu in the Firefox address bar is new as well. It lists several options in the mockups, among them options to copy the URL, send the URL to a device, take a screenshot, or to share the page.

This new share functionality taps right into the Share functionality of the operating systems if it ships with one. On Windows 10, selecting Share would open the operating system's Share window, and the same will happen on Mac OS X.

It is unclear how Share will look like on devices that run operating systems that don't come with native Share functionality.

firefox 57 share

The error pages that the browser displays are redesigned as well. The mockups released in the last week show a less flashy design with fewer colors.

Here are the error pages that highlight the changes:

firefox 57 error 5

firefox 57 error 5

firefox 57 error 5firefox 57 error 5

firefox 57 error 5

firefox 57 error 5

Mozilla, on top of that, released mockups for various internal pages of the Firefox browser. This includes the private browsing start window, the page that comes up when Firefox blocks a web page, and the HTTPS error page.

private window firefox 57

firefox 57 blocked website 

https error firefox 57

Last but not least, some internal about pages may get redesigns as well when Firefox 57 hits. These are the pages about:credit, about:license, and about:rights.

about:credits firefox 57

about:license firefox 57 

about:rights firefox 57

Firefox Nightly users may do the following to enable some Photon design elements in the browser already. Please note that this is a work in progress, and that some things may not work as intended at that point in time.

1. Type about:config in the browser's address bar and hit the Enter-key on the keyboard.
  2. Search for browser.photon.structure.enabled.
  3. Double-click the preference to set it to true, and enable the bits that are already in the browser.
  4. Restart the web browser.

Article source

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks quite cool ....8)

When is scheduled to be released this version in stable stage ?

Remember that I saw something in here but I don't know where.

Maybe this fall.....;)

6 minutes ago, Recruit said:

It looks quite cool ....8)

When is scheduled to be released this version in stable stage ?

Remember that I saw something in here but I don't know where.

Maybe this fall.....;)

quarter merge date central aurora beta release date release ESR
Q2 2017-06-12 Firefox 56 n/a Firefox 55 2017-06-13 Firefox 54 Firefox 52.2
Q3 2017-08-07 Firefox 57 n/a Firefox 56 2017-08-08 Firefox 55 Firefox 52.3
Q4 2017-09-25 Firefox 58 n/a Firefox 57 2017-09-26 Firefox 56 Firefox 52.4
2017-11-13 Firefox 59 n/a Firefox 58 2017-11-14 Firefox 57 Firefox 52.5
Q1 2018-01-15 Firefox 60 n/a Firefox 59 2018-01-16 Firefox 58 Firefox 52.6

Looks nice. I hope they FINALLY fix the problem with bookmarks' icons where they don't get synced like in Chrome.

• Administrator

I like it. Looks nice I think.

I don't like it at l looks cant replace addon functionality  it  looks likes a copy of Chrome mixed up with EDGE , but thanks for the sneak peak  just the same but i will be staying on the ESR channel as long as i can tell they fix the addon problem  . Opera never had as many addons as Chrome but at lest they have a addon that lets you install Addons from chrome  . Why do i want a browser were developers wasted years of making good addons now they have it a deadline to throw all there work down the drain they should not  remove old addons  unless they have enough new ones too make the end user happy. besides the only Chrome browser i found I can live with is slinjet  because they reversed  some of no not so nice limitations  that google chrome have. 

Some of the addons i use in Chrome are crap compared too Firefox old addons  and Slimjet has the feature built in were I don't need a addon at all  to get around some of the problems i'm  having  with Chromium and Chrome extensions. So Uninstalled Chromium and replaced it with Slimjet  . I had problems  like this before  that's the reason I started using Slimjet  to begin with. It has to do with Canvas fingerprinting  were the addon for chrome want work on some sites and makes it useless  and Firefox don't  have one web extension to safe guard us against this .yet and even if they ported the one from chrome it don't work right. Breaking Addons  will just make it easier for 3rd party sites to collect our hardware ids and things  to sell our data.  Palmoon also has this feature built in the about config were you can stop canvas finger printing . 

Most likely this is over many normal users heads to know what I'm talking about and they already know you're Hardware ID . :P

Damn , they're hell bent on destroying those features that mostly fox users liked and making it cheap copy, with this design thats like Edge and Chrome had a baby !! :huh:

1 hour ago, IronY-Man said:

Damn , they're hell bent on destroying those features that mostly fox users liked and making it cheap copy, with this design thats like Edge and Chrome had a baby !! :huh:

Powerusers out there just waiting this baby born to make-up & modify to make sure this baby become to smart & cute, same as Australis Tab before. :lol:

Hmm...Those Hmm... in error messages sound to me rather stupid.  It's nice from them that they explain what's the error is about but indicating the traditional error number might be just better then "humming".

Let's say: Error 404 We are haing trouble finding that site.

As for add-ons, presume that those used by overwhelming majority will have a functional update. 

It's quite true that there are many add-ons doing more or less the same and for the standard user might be quite satisfactory to find a functional replacement.

17 hours ago, steven36 said:

It has to do with Canvas fingerprinting  were the addon for chrome want work on some sites and makes it useless  and Firefox don't  have one web extension to safe guard us against this

Firefox do has an addon to protect against canvas fingerprinting.

https://addons.mozilla.org/nl/firefox/addon/canvasblocker/  

https://github.com/kkapsner/CanvasBlocker/

Archived