SSD Question - SOLVED

eurotrash

Hi everyone, I just wanted to ask two questions. I have an SSD 250GB Samsung, and I wanted to ask, do SSD's need maintenance software (e.g.SSDKeeper by Condusiv)? Second question, is it a good idea to use unused DRAM to improve storage performance? Or does it lessen the lifespan of the SSD? Thanks in advance! 

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, eurotrash said:

Hi everyone, I just wanted to ask two questions.

1. I have an SSD 250GB Samsung, and I wanted to ask, do SSD's need maintenance software (e.g.SSDKeeper by Condusiv)?
  2. Second question, is it a good idea to use unused DRAM to improve storage performance?
  3. Or does it lessen the lifespan of the SSD?

Thanks in advance! 

1. SSD do not need any maintenance software, any SSD has it  already by default included;
  2. it is not good idea
  3.  Yes, may do so.

If you have installed 'Samsung Magician' utility do a performance test and compare the max speed (540 mb/s) - if your at or close to that, no point in turning on Rapid Mode which gives silly numbers ie 40-50,000 mb/s .

Clean-up first with eg Crap cleaner and TRIM in Samsung Utility .

Note: Samsung Magician v4.97 is better than latest 5.0 as many features have gone in 5.0

Israeli_Eagle
  1. Disable Defragging of the partitions which part of your SSD
  2. Disable Prefetching (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters -> EnableBootTrace, EnablePrefetcher and EnableSuperfetch = 0)
  3. Disable Windows Search (Service)

No software needed!:coolwink:

stylemessiah

Windows default defragger does actually handle and defrag SSD drives, and theres an article out there from Microsoft on why this is fine, but still i disable the inbuilt defrag service, and will never use a 2rd party defrag either

Probably the one (and best) thing you can do is overprovision your SSD (give up a small % of free space for free NAND cells for wear levlling...this is handled on Samsung drives by Magician

Also, never enable Rapid mode....which is DRAM caching in Samsung speak, waste of RAM

5 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:
  2. Disable Prefetching (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters -> EnableBootTrace, EnablePrefetcher and EnableSuperfetch = 0)

:o

You actually have to avoid doing that, it'll be worst !

Windows isn't reta

Edit : Sorry My hands slipped, so I continue:

1. Windows isn't retarded and it automatically detects SSD and enable TRIM by itself so it doesn't do the traditional defrag. If you deactivate it, it won't TRIM your SSD which is worst.

2 & 3. Prefetching and indexing are actually GOOD and you shan't deactivate them (even with a traditional HDD). Along with indexing (Windows Search), prefetch automatically cache and read the Windows' index for files and programs so it's lesser I/O, thus LESSER SSD/HDD activity (lesser temp) which is better for the lifespan of your devices and it's better for performances too (lesser access time/opening time and disks usage).

Israeli_Eagle
1 hour ago, Nastrahl said:

1. Windows isn't retarded and it automatically detects SSD and enable TRIM by itself so it doesn't do the traditional defrag. If you deactivate it, it won't TRIM your SSD which is worst.

TRIM is NOTHING about defragging and every modern OS enable it automatically anyway!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_(computing)

You can check and enable or disable it:

http://mywindowshub.com/check-enable-disable-ssd-trim-support-windows-7-windows-8-1/

Israeli_Eagle

2 & 3. Prefetching and indexing are actually GOOD and you shan't deactivate them (even with a traditional HDD). Along with indexing (Windows Search), prefetch automatically cache and read the Windows' index for files and programs so it's lesser I/O, thus LESSER SSD/HDD activity (lesser temp) which is better for the lifespan of your devices and it's better for performances too (lesser access time/opening time and disks usage).

Wrong!!!

Because only writing makes the lifespan less!

And Prefetching makes nothing faster for any SSD, only copied files to another cache folder and of course also writes more. The same about Windows Search and indexing...

2 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Wrong!!!

Because only writing makes the lifespan less!

And Prefetching makes nothing faster for any SSD, only copied files to another cache folder and of course also writes more. The same about Windows Search and indexing...

Sorry I may not made myself very clear.

For HDDs their reading heads (don't know if it's the right English word for :D) move less (so better lifespan).

For a SSD it obviously do nothing such since there's no mechanical component but like I said it's less unnecessary I/O requests so access time is better.

The prefetcher caches informations into RAM for them to be accessed faster instead of being to read the HDD/SDD over and over again. Along with the indexing service, it knows how and when you accessed those files/program for a better efficiency, without querying the filesystem each time.

Israeli_Eagle

Sorry I may not made myself very clear.

For HDDs their reading heads (don't know if it's the right English word for :D) move less (so better lifespan).

For a SSD it obviously do nothing such since there's no mechanical component but like I said it's less unnecessary I/O requests so access time is better.

The prefetcher caches informations into RAM for them to be accessed faster instead of being to read the HDD/SDD over and over again. Along with the indexing service, it knows how and when you accessed those files/program for a better efficiency, without querying the filesystem each time.

With SSD the prefetch caches and also indexing are minimal faster, almost nothing. But they also use space and writes which are very 'expensive' for your lifespan!

Here you can also understand more: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/why-disable-superfetch-on-ssd-if-ram-is-much/61b6b215-0f27-473b-9490-b8b297899ac7?auth=1

Btw... Also Hibernation should be disabled of course if you have a strong machine (desktop). And Paging (virtual memory) should be minimized to 1 or 2 GB if you have 16 GB RAM or more.

22 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Sound advice, but if he is using windows 7 it wont have any trim facility.

Israeli_Eagle
54 minutes ago, clubhouse said:

Sound advice, but if he is using windows 7 it wont have any trim facility.

Also Windows 7 has per default Trim, but would need AHCI as well! You can easily check the status:

fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

Just compare your results with the results given below to check whether TRIM Support is enabled or not.

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 = TRIM support disabled
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 = TRIM support enabled

My own Win7 system has displayed 0 = TRIM support enabled :coolwink:

And many tools (for example SSD-Z) would also display it correctly.

fwiw

I've used Samsung 850 pro's since they first came out. 

Probably have around 6-850pro, 1-850evo plus a free-bee long skinny 840EVO attached to my router.

My use & observations: With Rapid Mode enabled, it always shows significantly lowered total writes over time - as reported by Magician. Certainly doesn't hurt anything, provided I have too much RAM anyhow.

Strangely, the SSD has been in use for at least 7-8 years and now all of a sudden so many questions.
Two things remember:

• SSD and HDD are completely different things and the SSD did not require any extra maintenance.
    Any HDD tool is not suitable, they are useless, even dangerous to use.
  • Trim must always be allowed, it is important. It allows an operating system to inform, which blocks of data
    are no longer considered in use and they will be marked as free space.

There are at least four completely different versions/types of SSD , and they can not be compared, they are just different.

Do not read these instructions, which are older than one year, they do not fit anymore.

The only other thing I do is move the paging file to a non system disc.

Capture.JPG

Israeli_Eagle
34 minutes ago, clubhouse said:

The only other thing I do is move the paging file to a non system disc.

Capture.JPG

Better disable paging executive:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\DisablePagingExecutive = 1

and then minimize to 1 or 2 GB (static) and stay on the system partition if you have enough RAM. This way system parts (kernel, drivers etc) always stay in RAM and is mostly only needed for BSOD dumps or such.

Thanks for replying!

I won't be installing any maintenance software or using the unused DRAM to improve storage performance.

Thanks very much for all your help!:)

Archived