Hardware acceleration and x265 encodes

rudrax

FWIW, I use the Kodi distro LibreELEC on an RPi3-sized Odroid C2 SBC.

The Odroid C2 does hardware h.265 up-to-10-bit decoding (outputs at 8-bit), and flogs the RPi3 on specs. For ~ $AU110 for the board, case, PS, it's a bargain.

Odroid C2 (HardKernel)

LibreELEC Krypton/Leia/Agile 64bit kernel 32bit libs (ODROID forums)

LibreELEC - Kodi Project (ODROID forums)

• Replies 65
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, teodz1984 said:

Lastly what use is a half sized movie, if your hardware can't play it comfortably.... I say stop Keeping with the HYPE.. Use what works on your hardware.. 

I know, I have no choice except upgrading the hardwares or saying 10 bit HEVC, "wait for the penetration till my laptop turns 18, until then be happy with the f0rpaly" :lol:

This is the fault the manufacturing strategies for not allowing 10-bit HEVC decoding for 6th gen Brasswell chip where the same is available for 6th gen Skylake. These two processor families are released in the same time frame but have not included the basic function of decoding a 10 bit HEVC. Now, you may wonder, what the hell am I talking about as it is obvious that higher level CPUs (Skylake) will have better features. But the thing is, I am not expecting Brasswell to support encoding which could be a commercial feature. But decoding means just to be able to watch a video (I am not even expecting 4K) which is just a basic function. So think that processors released under same time frame need to have the basic functions such as to be able to watch a 10-bit HEVC video efficiently in common.

If you plan on upgrading your hardware, why not just get a standalone player like a Minix Neo U1 Android box? It supports 10bit x265 even on 4k.

1 hour ago, ck_kent said:

If you plan on upgrading your hardware, why not just get a standalone player like a Minix Neo U1 Android box? It supports 10bit x265 even on 4k.

No, not for now. Just to watch some 10 bit x265 movies, I have no money to spare. The Android box is a nice suggestion though.

1 hour ago, teodz1984 said:

All my 10 bit x265 stuff can be played on my smartphone..

What is your SoC?

QC Snapdragon 410  on my daily driver
QC Snapdragon 820 on the 2nd Phone

QC Snapdragon S4 Pro for my Tablet

14 hours ago, teodz1984 said:

I do have a SD 410.

14 hours ago, teodz1984 said:

I do have a SD 410.

3 hours ago, teodz1984 said:

Then use MXPLayer Pro and use HW+ 

Yeah this is good but the phones display is not good enough to watch movies, you know. This is quite ironic - even SD 410 SoC supports 10-bit HEVC , yet 6th gen Brasswell Intel Pentium N3700 don't.

Come to think of it, if you aren't willing to buy new hardware, refuse to watch movies on a capable device with a small screen..

Then it is CLEAR you are not ready for H10 HEVC.. So stay away from it. No headaches

Well the Intel Atoms suck on Android... Figures Also if you look at N3700 benchmarks online, they all say that the chip/iGPU is weak... Best for light computing and web browsing, 

Next time you buy a pc mark sure you have at least a recent I5,I7 or I9 or Ryzen proc

I can always mirror my phone to my 1080p TV or Laptop

This is what I am interested in. Tell me more.

Come to think of it, if you aren't willing to buy new hardware, refuse to watch movies on a capable device with a small screen..

Then it is CLEAR you are not ready for H10 HEVC.. So stay away from it. No headaches

I know, I have to stay away from 10 bit HEVC and I accept that. But the cause of this dilemma is completely on Intel's novice decisions and immature strategy regarding the basic processor function awareness. I mean even the SD 410 supports it man!

Several ways to do it depending on what is on your phone

HARDWARE

1. Chromecast 
  2. Miracast Wireless 
  3. Wi-Fi Direct 

or use   MHL/SlimPort (via Micro-USB) or Micro-HDMI   adapter

Apps 

Allcast

https://www.allcast.io/

PNP servers such as KODI or PLEX on Android 

With you TV or PC as a DLNA client (Perhaps with the option to transcode your video on the fly to a format that is compatible with your output device) 

11 hours ago, teodz1984 said:

or use   MHL/SlimPort (via Micro-USB) or Micro-HDMI   adapter

Now this is what I need to buy. And is cable is the most expensive thing that I can spare towards watching 10-bit HEVC efficiently.

2 hours ago, rudrax said:

Now this is what I need to buy. And is cable is the most expensive thing that I can spare towards watching 10-bit HEVC efficiently.

Just make sure your TV is MHL compatible.

Archived