US Doesn't Like How Other Countries Deal With Piracy, Makes a List

CrAKeN

us-doesn-t-like-how-other-countries-deal

Not all countries deal with online piracy as the US would like them to

Canada and Switzerland are among two dozen countries that are on America's "watch list" because they fail to live up to the US copyright protection standards. 

This information appears in the yearly Special 301 Report from the Office of the United States Trade Representative, TorrentFreak reports.

The purpose of this report is to "shame" those countries that simply aren't doing enough to protect US intellectual property rights. The report lists about two dozen countries that threaten the intellectual property rights of US companies. 

"One of the top trade priorities for the Trump administration is to use all possible source of leverage to encourage other countries to open their markets to US exports of goods and services, and provide adequate and effective protection and enforcement of US intellectual property rights," writes the US Trade Representative. 

The US is annoyed with Canada for not allowing its border officials to seize and destroy pirated and counterfeit goods passing through. Furthermore, Canada's rules indicate that if someone has an education use for the content, they are excepted from copyright infringement. 

"The United States also remains deeply troubled by the broad interpretation of an ambiguous education-related exception to copyright that has significantly damaged the market for educational publishers and authors," the report reads. 

As for Switzerland, the report states that the country is increasingly popular for pirate sites seeking domain hosting and has been so since 2010. 

"Seven years have elapsed since the issuance of a decision by the Swiss Federal Supreme Court, which has been implemented to essentially deprive copyright holders in Switzerland of the means to enforce their rights against online infringers. Enforcement is a critical element of providing meaningful IP protection," reads the paper. 

Another country on the list is Romania, which the US advises to fully staff and fund an IP Coordination Department in the General Prosecutor's Office in order to fight against piracy. The document mentions online piracy, unlicensed software use, and distribution of counterfeit goods as some of the issues the country has. 

Countries on the priority watch list are China, Indonesia, Thailand, India, Algeria, Kuwait, Russia, Ukraine, Argentina, Chile and Venezuela. Those on the watch list are Vietnam, Pakistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Egypt, Lebanon, Bulgaria, Greece, Romania, Switzerland, Turkey, Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Barbados, Jamaica, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru. 

Source

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The above points are merely a selection of the many complaints the United States has about a variety of countries. As is often the case, the allegations are in large part based on reports from copyright-heavy industries, in some cases demanding measures that are not even in effect in the US itself.

By calling out foreign governments, the USTR hopes to elicit change. However, not all countries are receptive to this kind of diplomatic pressure. Canada, for one, said it does’t recognize the Special 301 Report and plans to follow its own path.

“Canada does not recognize the validity of the Special 301 and considers the process and the Report to be flawed,” the Government wrote in a previous memo regarding last year’s report.

“The Report fails to employ a clear methodology and the findings tend to rely on industry allegations rather than empirical evidence and objective analysis,” it added.

TorrentFreak

Those darn countries insist on having their own laws and not doing what we tell them!  Boo. Hoo.

Misaki2010

Those damn US companies should make content available everywhere, not region based, then they won't have so many problems regarding piracy!

56 minutes ago, Misaki2010 said:

Those damn US companies should make content available everywhere, not region based, then they won't have so many problems regarding piracy!

You think?  I dont think it help  slow it down any because the USA  have the 2nd highest rate of  piracy in the world itself.  Only thing that slows down piracy is good free content . Back before we had the internet I would  of never of went out and rented  a b rated movie i would just waited a year for it too come out on cable .  Most people who pirate are not going ever buy the movie regardless of piracy or not. I use too even record  the movies off cable  back then before the WWW  was ever invented.

Revulytics-2017-Software-Piracy-Statisti

https://www.revulytics.com/resources/stat-watch

Mexico and  South America  have the most highest movie piracy rates in the world  i don't see the USA going after them

https://www.statista.com/statistics/684345/pirate-content-viewers-by-country/

And  in the USA 24% watch cams and TS witch as bad it gets lol

https://www.statista.com/topics/3493/media-piracy/

8 hours ago, jtmulc said:

Those darn countries insist on having their own laws

and not doing what we tell them! 

Yeah... how dare they? :tooth:

9 hours ago, steven36 said:

"Back before we had the internet"

Your age is showing.  lol  ;)

5 hours ago, Atasas said:

I see it as intrusion on privacy...:rolleyes:

It runs much deeper than just privacy  you take countries like Mexico and Canada the USA have this free Trade Bill called NAFTA with and Trump plains to kill NAFTA if  they want make a deal witch I'm all for it  ..It means more jobs for people in USA  if they kill NAFTA . And like it or not most Movies and TV shows are made in the USA  there are movie studios and stuff in many states and these create jobs the world runs off money without money  coming in from somewhere you would be homeless  

Canada charge so much taxes  on everything  people there tend too bootleg  a lot  they need too cut taxes so people can afford  to buy more legit products  Mexico needs too pay  there people more Money because no one there that's not rich can afford to buy legit products.

Misaki2010
14 hours ago, steven36 said:

You think?  I dont think it help  slow it down any because the USA  have the 2nd highest rate of  piracy in the world itself.  Only thing that slows down piracy is good free content . Back before we had the internet I would  of never of went out and rented  a b rated movie i would just waited a year for it too come out on cable .  Most people who pirate are not going ever buy the movie regardless of piracy or not. I use too even record  the movies off cable  back then before the WWW  was ever invented.

It's true what you say, but I, personally would pay for the content if the price was fair and the content would actually worth. I don't pay for films, unless I go at the cinema, I pay for games but only after I try the cracked version. I don't pay for music because it's free on Spotify. I like TV Shows, and that's what I pirate because they aren't available in my country, at least not at the same time as in US. Thankfully I rent movies from Movies & TV app from Windows 10, there are deals from time to time and the prices are actually fair, and it's actually better and cheaper than cinema (I only go at the cinema to see movies that I actually can't wait for a few more months). Would love if there would be a "same day release worldwide" for movies and tv shows.

I would keep pirating games, because I can't afford to pay 60 euros for a shitty game and regret it afterwards (like I did with Batman: Arkham Origins the second day the game came out on Steam). So if I like a game and I keep want to play if after I try the cracked version, I just pay for it (usually after the price drops a bit).

1 hour ago, Misaki2010 said:

It's true what you say, but I, personally would pay for the content if the price was fair and the content would actually worth. I don't pay for films, unless I go at the cinema, I pay for games but only after I try the cracked version. I don't pay for music because it's free on Spotify. I like TV Shows, and that's what I pirate because they aren't available in my country, at least not at the same time as in US. Thankfully I rent movies from Movies & TV app from Windows 10, there are deals from time to time and the prices are actually fair, and it's actually better and cheaper than cinema (I only go at the cinema to see movies that I actually can't wait for a few more months). Would love if there would be a "same day release worldwide" for movies and tv shows.

I would keep pirating games, because I can't afford to pay 60 euros for a shitty game and regret it afterwards (like I did with Batman: Arkham Origins the second day the game came out on Steam). So if I like a game and I keep want to play if after I try the cracked version, I just pay for it (usually after the price drops a bit).

I know pirates who buy games  but they pirate them too  they bought them because they didn't get cracked fast enough. but as far as software it's hard to sell if for much money you will get laughed out of town most homeusers dont need very much of it . I live with people who never pirate , only software they really buy is a AV they use too buy lots of software back in the early 2000s but those days are long  gone .

And they mostly just watch TV,  listen too the radio and read books witch they buy used books for hardly nothing at  all. They use the internet to pay bills , go to YouTube and buy things that they need that dont have nothing too with the internet or entertainment. No one never died from not having everything the day it was released people today are spoiled too convince .

As far as renting Movies 1st off you have too have the money witch everyone don't have , you have to have a credit card or paypal or a way back and forth too a shop witch not everyone has ether   Going to the theater is something the younger generation likes too do it's to crowded and in rural areas in the in the USA it could be a long ways off and it's expensive   Things like this is why we just waited for it too come out on cable a year latter before . Even too watch TV  shows in the USA online the day they come out they want money too unlock the streams . This drives piracy in the USA the fact there is not much good free content for videos as far as software  i can boot into Linux in about one minute and all my software is free the only thing I mostly buy is a VPN as far as software lol. 

Archived