LeeSmithG

Hello gang!

Thought I would share some news that might interest you.

My older P.C. seven (7) years nearly of age, finally went kaaaaput!

So I borrowed my daughters old desktop and it was slow, laggy but did the chores I needed.

The fan made a hell of a noise, I cleaned it and I think the bearings had gone.

So I decided to invest around £600 in building a new one.

It has an up to 4.1 ghz eight (8) core A.M.D. FX processor, thirty two (32) gigbyte of r.a.m. a new nine hundred and sixty gigabyte (960gb) s.s.d. drive and a d.v.d. optical drive.

Case is cool, lots of green lights and you can make the system cooler by moving a switch on the side of case.

I decided to install an item I purchased as used from China for three (3) pounds, Windows ten (10) pro.

Registered fine, install took minutes.

My reboots, take thirteen (13) seconds.

I have tweaked Windows ten (10) with Start is back for windows ten (10).

It feels better than seven, I miss seven already, however I decided to move on and ignore what I don't like about it or remove it.

So far eight out of ten (8/10).

• Replies 2
  • Views 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LeeSmithG said:

So I decided to invest around £600 in building a new one.

It has an up to 4.1 ghz eight (8) core A.M.D. FX processor, thirty two (32) gigbyte of r.a.m. a new nine hundred and sixty gigabyte (960gb) s.s.d. drive and a d.v.d. optical drive.

Congratz! You have a very complete system and you made a good investment for years along; £600 is not really too much comparing it to less powerful systems I've seen for 800 - 1000 USD.  13 seconds to reboot is fabulous. Specially compared to my minute and something...

You shouldn't miss seven because your choice of Windows 10 is the best possible, considering your use of SSD.

There is some discussion about the usa of large SSD for data management. Certainly SSD is very fast, with an amazing random read/write performance about two orders of magnitude higher than that of traditional Hard Disk Drives.  That's why you could install Windows 10 in minutes and reboot in seconds.

However when using SSD for intensive workloads it soon starts to degrade. I've read serious reports about initial random read I/O throughput of more than 450 Mb/s degraded to 50 MB/s after some time.  Windows 10 has some very important improvements designated for SSDs using the TRIM function incorporated to its  Optimize Drives app allowing execute Trim on a predefined schedule or run it manually (see in the Tools menu in Drive properties a feature called Optimize).

Presume I'm not telling you anything new but might be an interesting information for people who have SSD already installed on computers and want to keep it in optimized conditions. Most users know that DEFRAG is useless and even harmful for SSD but I haven't heard comments about Windows 10's SSD optimizing procedure.

Just to add further, been over a day, installed 99% of everything, need to add a few more email accounts to outlook 2016 and then I am done.

I am very pleased, with a couple of tweaks and removing certain things, it's like Seven (7) but with glamour and colour, like a Brighton Pride Parade!

Just a question, what is good backup software, that works on Windows Ten (10) and works exactly the same way as PowerQuest's Drive Image then Norton Ghost worked?

Thanks in advance!

Archived