The World’s Moving to Windows 10 Mostly Thanks to Security, Research Shows

CrAKeN

the-world-s-moving-to-windows-10-mostly-

Windows 10 was launched in July 2015

Microsoft has been pushing hard for consumers to upgrade from Windows 7 and 8.1 to Windows 10, and after the free upgrade promo has ended, all eyes are now on enterprises, who are also projected to begin the transition to the latest OS these days.

And according to a research conducted by analyst firm Gartner, no less than 85 percent of enterprises plan to start deployment of Windows 10 by the end of the year.

The research involved more than 1,000 decision-makers in six countries like the United States, the UK, France, China, India, and Brazil, and was conducted before September and December last year.

“Organizations recognize the need to move to Windows 10, and the total time to both evaluate and deploy Windows 10 has shortened from 23 months to 21 months between surveys that Gartner did during 2015 and 2016,” said Ranjit Atwal, research director at Gartner.

“Large businesses are either already engaged in Windows 10 upgrades or have delayed upgrading until 2018. This likely reflects the transition of legacy applications to Windows 10 or replacing those legacy applications before Windows 10 migration takes place.”

Security for the win

As far as the reasons for moving to Windows 10 are concerned, nearly half of the respondents (49 percent) pointed to the security of the new operating system as the main improvement driving the migration to the operating system, while cloud integration was the runner-up.

Enterprises typically wait for one or two major OS releases before beginning the deployment of a new operating system, and with the Creators Update now up for grabs, the upgrade pace is projected to accelerate towards the summer.

Furthermore, Microsoft is also projected to release the new Windows 10 Redstone 3 in September, so enterprises completing the upgrade after the fall will receive another significant upgrade for the operating system before deployment is complete.

Source

• Replies 6
  • Views 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn don't anyone get tired of hearing this crap about how Windows 10 is so great because it is so secure?  Lies, lies, and more lies.  Microsoft marketing is working overtime trying to convince everyone to go to Windows 10 and the same reasons they  are trying to use to convince enterprises to do so are the same reasons why they aren't.  Windows 10 is too IT intensive, updated too often, patches too flaky, and Microsoft support sucks.  A typical call to them under terms of a paid enterprise support contract takes days to answer, if it is answered at all.  Usually the final answer is 'roll back' after they can't fix the problem, which just doesn't work for an enterprise.  So I really get tired of hearing how great this latest piece of crapware is supposed to be.

• Administrator

Thread moved to Security and Privacy News.

And according to a research conducted by analyst firm Gartner, no less than 85 percent of enterprises plan to start deployment of Windows 10 by the end of the year.

The research involved more than 1,000 decision-makers in six countries like the United States, the UK, France, China, India, and Brazil, and was conducted before September and December last year.

I think things have changed since then. Now it must be apparent even to the most obtuse person that Win10 is an OS to avoid at all costs.

2 hours ago, straycat19 said:

Damn don't anyone get tired of hearing this crap about how Windows 10 is so great because it is so secure?

No because I dont pay no mind too it , Just like they shit on windows 7  and 8.1 users so many times once they get there billion users they will start shifting on windows 10 users once windows 7 runs out of updates and I will be laughing all the way to the bank with all the money i saved because I will be on Linux .  They just patched every supported version of windows for a bunch of exploits in March expect Windows 10 creator update because it was patched as a insider .  They have tons of stuff that needs patched witch they have 3 months  before anyone makes it public,. unless blackhats gets the info and release it even before Microsoft knows about it/ :P

11 hours ago, steven36 said:

unless blackhats gets the info and release it even before Microsoft knows about it

Even when Microsoft is told about a security problem they don't fix it and call it an acceptable risk.  

This has been exploitable long before Lure10.  I had over 35 windows devices connected to my bogus access point in Starbucks, all of them were Windows 10. Phones are easy to connect to since they actively seek out any access point, but you think Windows would be a little bit more secure.  Not so.  If they are looking for a specific network, then my device just answers 'here I am' and they connect.   I was collecting so much data my 8TB portable Mini-Drobo NAS ran out of space.  This was about a month ago.  Every login, every password, everything, was all captured and logged.  Granted some of the data was encrypted, but very little, much less than you would expect.  Microsoft calls this an acceptable risk.  Really?!?!  Not to me it isn't.  Turning off Wi-Fi Sense doesn't stop the systems from connecting to a bogus access point either.  If you use public wifi then you are at risk.

2 hours ago, straycat19 said:

Turning off Wi-Fi Sense doesn't stop the systems from connecting to a bogus access point either.  If you use public wifi then you are at risk.

We don't have no public wifi around my area noway  or even a Starbucks  so that's a city dwellers problem you can't even get a good cell phone signal  around here .. MTM attacks on Windows is nothing new I seen  many articles  posted about them but they never concerned me.  Anyone on public wifi should use a vpn 24/7 anyways regardless  of what  windows they use and for Windows 10 users i suggest  they disable  W-Fi Sense when they 1st set there PC up

.Windows 10 use too be much more easy to hack into like this when it 1st came out but every since Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14342, Microsoft had removed the Wi-Fi Sense feature that allows you to share Wi-Fi networks with your contacts and to be automatically connected to networks shared by your contacts.

The Lure10 attack technique has been added to the latest version of the open source Wifiphisher rogue Access Point tool, of which Chatzisofroniou is the lead developer.

The engineer says that Microsoft has been informed about this issue and has acknowledged its impact, but has not taken steps to mitigate it, as they consider it an “accepted risk.”

Users can protect themselves against this attack by simply disabling Wi-Fi Sense on their device.

https://www.techbes.com/2017/04/26/lure10-exploiting-wi-fi-sense-to-mitm-wireless-windows-devices-helpnetsecurity/

Archived