Another Stable Update Released for the Linux 3.18 Kernel, Adds Many Improvements

CrAKeN

another-stable-update-released-for-the-l

Linux kernel 3.18.50 released

One day after announcing the release of the Linux 4.10.12, 4.9.24, and 4.4.63 kernels, Greg Kroah-Hartman informed the community about the availability of yet another maintenance update to the Linux 3.18 kernel series.

Last week, we told you that Linux 3.18, which remains marked as EOL (End-of-Life) on the kernel.org website, received an unexpected maintenance update, Linux kernel 3.18.49, which added numerous improvements, despite the fact that Greg Kroah-Hartman urged users to move to a newer long-term supported kernel series, such as Linux 4.4 or Linux 4.9, in early February 2017.

According to the appended shortlog, Linux kernel 3.18.50 is yet another big patch that changes a total of 116 files, with 1271 insertions and 699 deletions. As expected, the biggest part of the patch are updated drivers, this time for ACPI, crypto, GPU (vmwgfx), HV, iiO, input (joystick, touchscreen, tablet), IOMMU, ISDN, MD, media, MMC, MTD, networking (Ethernet), PINCTRL, RTC, SCSI, TTY, USB, UWB, Virtio, and Xen.

"I'm announcing the release of the 3.18.50 kernel. All users of the 3.18 kernel series must upgrade. The updated 3.18.y git tree can be found at: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git linux-3.18.y and can be browsed at the normal kernel.org git web browser: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git;a=summary," said Greg Kroah-Hartman.

XFS, CIFS, MetaG, PowerPC, and x86 improvements

The Linux 3.18.50 kernel also brings various small improvements to the PowerPC (PPC), x86, MetaG, ARM, C6X, MIPS, s390, and SPARC hardware architectures, as well as to the XFS and CIFS filesystems, and includes the usual mm and core kernel updates, as well as up-to-date sound and networking stacks with small IPv4, IPv6, SCTP (Stream Control Transmission Protocol), and packet scheduler changes.

A couple of KVM (Kernel-based Virtual Machine) improvements are also present, and if it happens that you haven't yet managed to move to a newer long-term supported kernel series, you are urged to update your machines to Linux kernel 3.18.50 as soon as possible. The source tarball is available for download right now from kernel.org or via our website.

Source

• Replies 1
  • Views 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only LTS  kernel  in v3 is 3.13  it last tell 2019 I was using it on Linux Mint 17.3 but I ditched Linux Mint  for Ubuntu Budgie 17.04 so now I'm om Linux kernel 4.10 it took AMD  1 year too fix the drivers  for my PC  so I could update distros  16.04 didn't  work before and not sure do it work now ? i still have Linux Mint 18 on my other PC but it is Intel so for this PC I have too wait tell Linux Mint gets a version with the updated drivers and stack maybe 2018?

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/03/ubuntu-drops-amd-catalyst-fglrx-driver-16-04

Now  they work good in 17.04 though  :P

Zh1VZyn.png

Archived