[Resolution] IDM-Firefox freezing phenomenon while transferring download

rudrax

Issue: Firefox freezes for a few seconds while Internet Download Manager (IDM) automatically catches a download after the user clicks on a downloadable link.

Solution: When I updated Firefox to the latest version v53, the IDM integration module for Firefox was not supported anymore and IDM wasn't receiving any updates either. So I googled for IDM add-on compatibility with the latest version of Firefox and ended up with this site. I downloaded the add-on for v53 manually (direct installation of 3rd party add-on is not allowed by Firefox's latest versions, I guess) and installed it.

Restart Firefox.

Done.

Comments: I have observed that the default add-on that IDM installed had a size around 600 KB but the add-on I have downloaded from the site is just 76.1 KB. I have no idea why the default IDM add-on have to be comparatively so bigger.

Or, you can find the file inside the IDM installation folder in the programs itself. The file is named as idmmzcc3.xpi. (Courtesy - @IronY-Man & @straycat19)

This fix is tested working with latest version of both Firefox (64-bit) and IDM. Please share your feedback.

Thank you and Enjoy! :)

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The issue is due to e10 compatibility in newer versions ....you dont need to visit the site to install the addon as its already provided in the IDM installed folder with name " idmmzcc3.xpi " which is exactly the same size, I noticed the issue also as it wasnt caching the downloads properly !

3 hours ago, rudrax said:

I have observed that the default add-on that IDM installed had a size around 600 KB but the add-on I have downloaded from the site is just 76.1 KB. I have no idea why the default IDM add-on have to be comparatively so bigger.

Please change your guide and point to the file that is installed with IDM (idmmzcc3.xpi).  Downloading files from 3d parties is not a safe and secure solution for anything.  If you look in the IDM install there are three files, one for Firefox 52 (idmmzcc2.xpi) and one for earlier versions (idmmzcc.xpi) also.

I got perfect SHA-1 and MD5 hash match on the file in the programs folder and the one in my given link. So no worries. Thanks for pointing out the easy way though.

But I have been suffering this issue even before Firefox had implemented the e10s thing. I also can't get a hold on the fact that when I was on Firefox v52 and the right add-on idmmzcc2.xpi was installed, why the freezing issue was there?

@IronY-Man @straycat19

jayesh30202

You might also want to add in your original post about which and how to add .xpi files for different firefox versions.

Source:

https://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/support/firefox8_integration.html

1 hour ago, rudrax said:

I also can't get a hold on the fact that when I was on Firefox v52 and the right add-on idmmzcc2.xpi was installed, why the freezing issue was there?

You will have to check for other potential conflicting addons as I didnt have any said freezing issues in v52 due to IDM extension or while downloading caching.

6 minutes ago, IronY-Man said:

You will have to check for other potential conflicting addons as I didnt have any said freezing issues in v52 due to IDM extension or while downloading caching.

I only use ublock add-on for ads. But that has nothing to do with the freezing issue as I tried without any addons installed too. 

17 hours ago, rudrax said:

I only use ublock add-on for ads. But that has nothing to do with the freezing issue as I tried without any addons installed too. 

It looks like they : Mozilla folks & addon makers could still use some months adjusting to this travesty thats dubbed e10 cos after giving up some time to it...I decided to revert back to v52 cos some XUL based addons stopped and IDM still causing issues on some site-links ....making it more difficult then it is as already.

Archived