Welcome to nsane.forums

Welcome to nsane.forums, like most online communities you need to register to view parts of our community or to make contributions, but don't worry: this is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of nsane.forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Access special members only forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates

Please note: Unfortunetely due to some server side issues, registration via Hotmail / Outlook email addresses do not work, members are requested to use some other email addresses like Gmail to register here.

uffbros

N Router---ac Laptop

uffbros    138
uffbros

I just bought a friend a laptop and the wireless has ac wireless. Their router is N. From what I am reading this will not work because the ac has to be 5GHZ frequency and the N router is 2.4 GHZ. Is this true? Will I have to buy them another router? They have the 

TL-WR841N(TP Link)

PriSim    3,289
PriSim

laptop proper model name?

rudrax    2,315
rudrax

The laptop should be backward compliant to N specification. See the specification of the laptop. You should find 802.11a/b/g/n/ac in the network category. 

• Like 2

dcs18    12,093
dcs18

The TP-Link TL-WR841ND is just one of the routers that I use — it does not possess the 5 GHz Wireless Network Mode and hence can be used on only the following Wireless Network Modes:—

• N-Only (2.4 GHz)
  • B-Only
  • G-Only
  • BG-Mixed
  • NG-Mixed
  • Disabled

teodz1984    523
teodz1984

It will still work since and AC wireless laptop can be configured to accept N, G wifi too..

It's called backward compatibility..

This allows your laptop to work on those public Wireless N  wifis that are still popular..

Edited by teodz1984
  • Like 1

uffbros    138
uffbros

Thats what I thought.....the adapter is 2.4 and 5.0 GHZ...the N router will work because of the ability to do 2.4 GHZ