N Router---ac Laptop

uffbros

I just bought a friend a laptop and the wireless has ac wireless. Their router is N. From what I am reading this will not work because the ac has to be 5GHZ frequency and the N router is 2.4 GHZ. Is this true? Will I have to buy them another router? They have the 

TL-WR841N(TP Link)

• Replies 6
  • Views 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dell Inspiron 15 5000.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-5567-laptop/fndcg2310h?dgc=SS&cid=308297&lid=5829435&acd=1230923035698250c101442620&ven3=111103836235896943

I think I just answered my own question..I see the adapter is 2.4 and 5.0GHZ so would work on an N single band router.

The laptop should be backward compliant to N specification. See the specification of the laptop. You should find 802.11a/b/g/n/ac in the network category. 

The TP-Link TL-WR841ND is just one of the routers that I use — it does not possess the 5 GHz Wireless Network Mode and hence can be used on only the following Wireless Network Modes:—

• N-Only (2.4 GHz)
  • B-Only
  • G-Only
  • BG-Mixed
  • NG-Mixed
  • Disabled

It will still work since and AC wireless laptop can be configured to accept N, G wifi too..

It's called backward compatibility..

This allows your laptop to work on those public Wireless N  wifis that are still popular..

Thats what I thought.....the adapter is 2.4 and 5.0 GHZ...the N router will work because of the ability to do 2.4 GHZ

Archived