[Solved] Need advice on building a new PC

nsan3

Hi Guys,

So like yeah, I have finally decided to build my very own PC from scratch. I am very new to this venture so would appreciate your help immensely.

Please find below the components for my build. Please let me know if the components will have any compatibility issues with eachother.

1) CPU -> Intel Core i5-6600K Processor 

2) CPU Cooler -> Cooler Master Hyper 212X 

3) Motherboard -> Asus H170 Pro DDR4 - LGA1151 

4) RAM -> Corsair Value Select Series 16GB DDR4 2133MHz 

5) ATX Cabinet -> Cooler Master Silencio 352 

6) Internal HDD -> Seagate New BarraCuda ST1000DM010 1TB 

Thanks in advance guys :)

• Replies 70
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be interesting to see how it goes. Please keep us inform of the results. Good luck with your project, enjoy it.

Maybe I will try to build one in the future. Just for the fun of it.

@pc71520 Lol most definitely I do, and yes this is for backing up my External into a 8TB Internal with the use of a powerful PC :)

Almost all the hardware you're gonna buy are decent and high tier, except the CPU. that i5 CPU will bottleneck your system's overall performance, RAM, GPU etc. Also i5 CPUs don't have hyper threading feature. you better buy an i3 or i7 CPU. without hyper threading, softwares, games etc hardly use full potential of the CPU. if the price will go higher than your budget by replacing that i5 with an i7 then you can change other specs like 8GB RAM instead of 16 GB.

16 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

Almost all the hardware you're gonna buy are decent and high tier, except the CPU. that i5 CPU will bottleneck your system's overall performance, RAM, GPU etc. Also i5 CPUs don't have hyper threading feature. you better buy an i3 or i7 CPU. without hyper threading, softwares, games etc hardly use full potential of the CPU. if the price will go higher than your budget by replacing that i5 with an i7 then you can change other specs like 8GB RAM instead of 16 GB.

Can you provide a source of your statement? I never heard that a 6600K will bottleneck entire system.

Also, reccomending CPU just based from hyperthreading alone is ridiculous. You should also consider what kind of works he want to do. If he plan to do a lot of rendering and/or video editing then an i7 will surely help with the workloads.

IMO 6600K is a moderate/balanced choice. If paired with Z170/Z270 motherboard, he can overclock it to squeeze out more power. My only question is why didn't he choose Kabylake? He can get 7600K for few dollars more.

11 minutes ago, trufpal said:

Can you provide a source of your statement? I never heard that a 6600K will bottleneck entire system.

Also, reccomending CPU just based from hyperthreading alone is ridiculous. You should also consider what kind of works he want to do. If he plan to do a lot of rendering and/or video editing then an i7 will surely help with the workloads.

IMO 6600K is a moderate/balanced choice. If paired with Z170/Z270 motherboard, he can overclock it to squeeze out more power. My only question is why didn't he choose Kabylake? He can get 7600K for few dollars more.

CPU handles pretty much every part of the system, RAM, PCI-E bus, HDD etc. he didn't mention what type of GPU he owns but assuming it be high end the same as the other specsc then it will bottleneck, there are sources on the Internet, I personally have a Fury X and my i5 CPU bottlenecks my GPU, tried it with an i7.

hyper threading is ridiculous? lol if AMD Ryzen CPUs wouldn't use SMT they couldn't beat Intel in some benchmarks. I don't see how that feature is "ridiculous".

Kabylake limits the user only to new OSes, maybe he intends to use older OSes as well.

1 minute ago, saeed_dc said:

CPU handles pretty much every part of the system, RAM, PCI-E bus, HDD etc. he didn't mention what type of GPU he owns but assuming it be high end the same the other specs then it will bottleneck, there are sources on the Internet, I personally have a Fury X and my i5 CPU bottlenecks my GPU, tried it with an i7.

hyper threading is ridiculous? lol if AMD Ryzen CPUs wouldn't use SMT they couldn't beat Intel in some benchmarks. I don't see how that feature is "ridiculous".

Kabylake limits the user only to new OSes, maybe he intends to use older OSes as well.

It could bottleneck the GPU, yes. But entire system of his build? I think unlikely.

Also read again my comment. I didn't say that hyperthreading is a ridiculous feature. Don't twist around my words man! :nono:

Your last sentence make sense tho.

1) CPU -> Intel Core i5-6600K Processor 

2) CPU Cooler -> Cooler Master Hyper 212X 

3) Motherboard -> Asus H170 Pro DDR4 - LGA1151 

Either change your CPU or your motherboard you have a CPU that can be overclocked, but a mobo that can't do overclocking. Get a Z170 mobo or a non (K) CPU

Apart from that, your build is ok.

• Administrator

Good specs.

However, I agree with what is said above. If you go for H motherboard then you cannot overclock your K CPU - K CPUs from what I know, are mostly used for CPU overclocking. Also, H motherboards limit the RAM speed to just 2133MHz, think about later, when you want to add more RAM, you would have to stick to that speed 2133MHz which will not remain a standard by then.

You can also go for Kaby Lake, but that will require newer series motherboard, yes, the series you have mentioned are compatible, but for that you need to update the firmware, which is not possible without a CPU, so how will you do it.

Let me give another advice here, depending on your use, how about AMD Ryzen, why not wait for it to get cheaper in India.

Second is, do mention your graphics card. One of the main components of a gaming PC is not necessarily a CPU, but a graphics card. Depending on whether you want to make a gaming PC or not though.

Now, the main part, the most important part of a computer, it's power supply. No matter what, do not, I repeat do not go for cheap power supply. Get a good power supply like Seasonic and such.

15 hours ago, saeed_dc said:

Hyper threading is almost always not bringing performance improvement, it's a virtual feature, not real raw processing power.

You are saying the i5 6600K is not enough and advising for an i3, where is the logic ?

You are saying that the CPU will bottleneck the rest and you list GPU but he didn't mention a GPU in is post, why do you assume the build is for gaming ? Maybe he has other usage. What if he just wants the integrated 530 ?

14 hours ago, saeed_dc said:

CPU handles pretty much every part of the system, RAM, PCI-E bus, HDD etc. he didn't mention what type of GPU he owns but assuming it be high end the same as the other specsc then it will bottleneck, there are sources on the Internet, I personally have a Fury X and my i5 CPU bottlenecks my GPU, tried it with an i7.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/gaming-benchmarks-core-i7-6700k-hyperthreading-test.219417/

Tests with HT on and off on same proc + mention about i3 HT vs i5 vs i7 (HT).

In the end, it's really not the first feature you should look at when choosing an intel CPU...

@vitorio @saeed_dc @trufpal @mostwanted @DKT27 @tiliarou Thanks a lot guys for your wonderful suggestions. Truly you guys are leagues ahead when it comes to CPU knowledge than me, thanks again :)

As everyone guessed, am not much into gaming, that is why I did not mention anything about Graphic Cards/GPU. And yes am a Win-7 guy (Aero theme just works for me) so I will not be moving to Kabylake Mobos(They literally put a knife on your neck and say ONLY INSTALL WIN-10) for sometime from now. Maybe in next 2-3 years who knows :) 

So as per everyone's suggestion, I have re-selected my intended components for my build. Please find the new list below, do let me know how you guys feel about the same :-

1) CPU -> Intel Core i7 6700K 3.40GHz (I do not overclock, but ya maybe in the near future)

2) CPU Cooler -> Cooler Master Hyper 212X (Heard this is a pretty neat choice for CPU Fans)

3) Motherboard -> Asus Z170 Pro Gaming (Did not want my RAM to be bottlenecked at 2133MHz)

4) SMPS Power Supply -> Seasonic M12II-750 EVO M12II Series 750W Modular Power Supply (Pls let me know if this is an overkill or not, doesnt the Cabinet come with a decent SMPS by default??)

5) RAM -> Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16 GB) 3000 MHz (Ya thought will go ahead with 32GB of RAM)

6) ATX Cabinet -> Cooler Master Silencio 352 (Guys, please let me know if my Mobo will fit in this cabinet or not)

7) Internal HDD -> Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD (Ya am currently on an SSD and thought well to hell with it, lets go with an SSD for the PC :) )

1 hour ago, tiliarou said:

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/gaming-benchmarks-core-i7-6700k-hyperthreading-test.219417/

Tests with HT on and off on same proc + mention about i3 HT vs i5 vs i7 (HT).

In the end, it's really not the first feature you should look at when choosing an intel CPU...

who said it's the first feature to look at? Lol

you better ask some AMD users about it, with Intel dispatchers in many games and softwares like Photoshop etc, that literally limits the CPU usage to 50% more or less, without HT/SMT, they're out of luck :) 

take new Ryzen CPUs for example, without SMT, what are they? 8 cores/16 threads... maybe it's not the most important feature but it sure is one of them.

1 hour ago, tiliarou said:

Hyper threading is almost always not bringing performance improvement, it's a virtual feature, not real raw processing power.

You are saying the i5 6600K is not enough and advising for an i3, where is the logic ?

You are saying that the CPU will bottleneck the rest and you list GPU but he didn't mention a GPU in is post, why do you assume the build is for gaming ? Maybe he has other usage. What if he just wants the integrated 530 ?

I said my opinion about the OP's post but you are free to believe whatever you want, HT doesn't do any good for you? alright then don't use it i don't care. since this is not your topic I don't even bother explaining to you.

57 minutes ago, nsan3 said:

@vitorio @saeed_dc @trufpal @mostwanted @DKT27 @tiliarou Thanks a lot guys for your wonderful suggestions. Truly you guys are leagues ahead when it comes to CPU knowledge than me, thanks again :)

As everyone guessed, am not much into gaming, that is why I did not mention anything about Graphic Cards/GPU. And yes am a Win-7 guy (Aero theme just works for me) so I will not be moving to Kabylake Mobos(They literally put a knife on your neck and say ONLY INSTALL WIN-10) for sometime from now. Maybe in next 2-3 years who knows :) 

So as per everyone's suggestion, I have re-selected my intended components for my build. Please find the new list below, do let me know how you guys feel about the same :-

1) CPU -> Intel Core i7 6700K 3.40GHz (I do not overclock, but ya maybe in the near future)

2) CPU Cooler -> Cooler Master Hyper 212X (Heard this is a pretty neat choice for CPU Fans)

3) Motherboard -> Asus Z170 Pro Gaming (Did not want my RAM to be bottlenecked at 2133MHz)

4) SMPS Power Supply -> Seasonic M12II-750 EVO M12II Series 750W Modular Power Supply (Pls let me know if this is an overkill or not, doesnt the Cabinet come with a decent SMPS by default??)

5) RAM -> Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16 GB) 3000 MHz (Ya thought will go ahead with 32GB of RAM)

6) ATX Cabinet -> Cooler Master Silencio 352 (Guys, please let me know if my Mobo will fit in this cabinet or not)

7) Internal HDD -> Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD (Ya am currently on an SSD and thought well to hell with it, lets go with an SSD for the PC :) )

That setup gonna work for you for many years to come if not gaming, so yes good choice. PSU is a bit too much for the current setup but it doesn't hurt to have some on-demand power in case you change something in future.

2 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

That setup gonna work for you for many years to come if not gaming, so yes good choice. PSU is a bit too much for the current setup but it doesn't hurt to have some on-demand power in case you change something in future.

Thanks saeed, with the PSU, my components wont have any issues right? Or do I need to get a lower Watts PSU to be safe?

1 minute ago, nsan3 said:

Thanks saeed, with the PSU, my components wont have any issues right? Or do I need to get a lower Watts PSU to be safe?

No it's good, not a problem, your computer draws as much power as it needs from the PSU. 

27 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

who said it's the first feature to look at? Lol

you better ask some AMD users about it, with Intel dispatchers in many games and softwares like Photoshop etc, that literally limits the CPU usage to 50% more or less, without HT/SMT, they're out of luck :) 

I said my opinion about the OP's post but you are free to believe whatever you want, HT doesn't do any good for you? alright then don't use it i don't care. since this is not your topic I don't even bother explaining to you.

May i be honest? Actually you did. You even colored the hyperthreading word with red. We thought you were suggesting that hyperthreading is the most important factor when choosing a CPU.

Not to mention you also suggest an i3 over i5 because it has hyperthreading. If that's the case, then why don't you recommend G4560? It has hyperthreading feature as well.

I had a time when i was upgrading from i3-2120 to i5-3330. 2120 have hyperthreading and higher clock than 3330. But i noticed increased performance with my i5 regardless of those two advantages of 2120. My booting time is quicker and programs launch faster too. Everything just feels snappier than before. Maybe i'm just imagining things and it all is just a placebo effect. :lol:

1 minute ago, trufpal said:

May i be honest? Actually you did. You even colored the hyperthreading word with red. We thought you were suggesting that hyperthreading is the most important factor when choosing a CPU.

Not to mention you also suggest an i3 over i5 because it has hyperthreading. If that's the case, then why don't you recommend G4560? It has hyperthreading feature as well.

I had a time when i was upgrading from i3-2120 to i5-3330. 2120 have hyperthreading and higher clock than 3330. But i noticed increased performance with my i5 regardless of those two advantages of 2120. My booting time is quicker and programs launch faster too. Everything just feels snappier than before. Maybe i'm just imagining things and it all is just a placebo effect. :lol:

Nothing to add.

@saeed_dc: I understood from your first post that you were insisting on HT being an essential feature " Also i5 CPUs don't have hyper threading feature. you better buy an i3 or i7 CPU. without hyper threading, softwares, games etc hardly use full potential of the CPU." (HT is even in red) and that the OP should focus on this when choosing the CPU. Hence my remark that I don't think it should be the main focus. For encoding and Adobe suite product it shows some gains on some config, so yes HT may be important for specific needs but overall not that much worth the money. I think that today core frequency is the most important for a CPU, unless you have very specific needs where HT was proven to show gains.

Now that we know the needs (no gaming involved), we can all agree that his setup is decent.

Big alim for now but it's better to be future proof so when (if) he adds a GPU or more components, the 750 will still be enough.

1 hour ago, nsan3 said:

As others have said about your build. It's good to go. But I did some research and want to pointing few things out:

• That PSU is more than enough for your build. Even if you overclock the CPU, it will still have quite large headroom. Alternatively, you can also check Seasonic X650. If the price is reasonable then it's a good option worth to consider.
  • Cooler Master Silencio 352 is advertised as mATX case while the motheboard is ATX. I don't think it will fit.
  • Make sure to activate XMP from BIOS, otherwise your RAM will only run at 2133 Mhz.

I think that's all from me. If anyone find any mistake then please let me know! ;)

5 minutes ago, trufpal said:

Cooler Master Silencio 352 is advertised as mATX case while the motheboard is ATX. I don't think it will fit.

And it won't!!! Good catch!!!! ;)

36 minutes ago, trufpal said:

As others have said about your build. It's good to go. But I did some research and want to pointing few things out:

• That PSU is more than enough for your build. Even if you overclock the CPU, it will still have quite large headroom. Alternatively, you can also check Seasonic X650. If the price is reasonable then it's a good option worth to consider.
  • Cooler Master Silencio 352 is advertised as mATX case while the motheboard is ATX. I don't think it will fit.
  • Make sure to activate XMP from BIOS, otherwise your RAM will only run at 2133 Mhz.

I think that's all from me. If anyone find any mistake then please let me know! ;)

Thanks for your inputs there @trufpal.

I am really disappointed about the Mobo not going to fit in my CoolerMaster cabinet. I really like the cabinet so it would be great if you could suggest a good Mobo that can fit in it which support i7 6700K. My primary requirement is that I need at-least 2-RAM slots, 2-USB3.0 Front panel slots, 1 M.2 slot and the Mobo should support CPU and RAM overclocking. Thanks in advance.

21 minutes ago, nsan3 said:

I am really disappointed about the Mobo not going to fit in my CoolerMaster cabinet. I really like the cabinet so it would be great if you could suggest a good Mobo that can fit in it which support i7 6700K. My primary requirement is that I need at-least 2-RAM slots, 2-USB3.0 Front panel slots, 1 M.2 slot and the Mobo should support CPU and RAM overclocking. Thanks in advance.

http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170MX-Gaming-5-rev-10#ov

Only found this one so far. It has all the features you want. Many tech sites recommend this board.

1 hour ago, nsan3 said:

Well, why not keep case series?! Almost the same design and mobo will fit perfectly...

Take a look: Silencio 452.

Archived