New Truecaller Version Too Aggressive

Knightmare

Up uninstall the most recent update, I was using Truecaller/Truemessenger with no issues. In version 8 of Truecaller, they merged the messenger and the caller into one app. Everything was working with version 8.05; however, they added a feature and released the change in version 8.06. Since this update, I have not been able to send text messages. I have a Droid Mini and the built-in messaging app is not working with Truecaller anymore. Whenever I go into the built-in messaging app, it states that sending is disabling and demands that I make it the default messaging app. Simple enough, but when I do that, Truecaller messaging will not work unless it is the default messaging app. I'm not sure which one is the problem, but I do know that when Truecaller and Truemessenger were separate, I did not have any issue with the built-in messaging app or Truecaller/Truemessenger.

Anyone else using Truecaller and having this issue?

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Knightmare

• dcs18

• debebee

• jdawg334

I don't use the app. I simply go to the truecaller home page and get the info of the numbers I want.

I had the Droid Maxx up until about a year ago. That line of phones Maxx/Ultra/Mini was introduced in 2013 so going on 4 years old now so no longer supported officially. I now have the Moto Z and they no longer include their own SMS Messaging App but include Verizon Messaging and Android Messages for their SMS. I would try downloading  Android Messages from the play store and setting that as my default SMS app and see if you have better results since it is updated regularly by Google themselves, widely used and compatible with KitKat.

Link to Android Messages

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging&hl=en

On 4/15/2017 at 1:04 AM, rudrax said:

I don't use the app. I simply go to the truecaller home page and get the info of the numbers I want.

On 4/15/2017 at 1:26 AM, teodz1984 said:

Same here, 

Dont want apps wanting to take over the functionality of the default dailer and sms app...

I feel the same way, but I do like the blocking feature that it offers. While it doesn't "block" text messages, I like that it does block calls. Still I like that it hides unwanted messages from my sms inbox.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2017 at 8:00 AM, Knightmare said:

Up uninstall the most recent update, I was using Truecaller/Truemessenger with no issues. In version 8 of Truecaller, they merged the messenger and the caller into one app. Everything was working with version 8.05; however, they added a feature and released the change in version 8.06. Since this update, I have not been able to send text messages. I have a Droid Mini and the built-in messaging app is not working with Truecaller anymore. Whenever I go into the built-in messaging app, it states that sending is disabling and demands that I make it the default messaging app. Simple enough, but when I do that, Truecaller messaging will not work unless it is the default messaging app. I'm not sure which one is the problem, but I do know that when Truecaller and Truemessenger were separate, I did not have any issue with the built-in messaging app or Truecaller/Truemessenger.

Decided recently that I'm done helping thankless and ungrateful Peeps — but, maybe you deserve a second chance (which actually is far more than second.)

Truecaller absorbed and merged their dialer (Truedialer) and their messaging client (Truemessenger) into Truecaller — recent androids do not allow the messaging function to be hijacked by another client unless it's made the default client.

The new breed of Truecallers are slower (than aggressive) due to bloat — you pay in  terms of performance, for using a suite when you should've been using standalone apps. which are specialized, in what they do.

For optimum performance, an older version of Truecaller is advisable — I use the last standalone release, the V6.60 Pro (the Free edition is worthwhile, too.) There's also a modded version — keep a healthy distance from it.

For texting purposes, I use arguably the best message client — Chomp SMS.

For my dialing needs, I depend on the indisputable king — DW Contacts & Phone & Dialer Pro.

ps:—

You need to harden-up your privacy through permissions WRT location, boot-up, system-modification, wake-locks, background running, background data mining, foreground data activity, drawing on top, notifications; access to storage, contacts, messaging, media, microphone, calendar, etc., etc  — firewalling knowledge is is as vital on Android as on Windows, if not more.

On 4/16/2017 at 8:57 PM, Knightmare said:

I feel the same way, but I do like the blocking feature that it offers. While it doesn't "block" text messages, I like that it does block calls. Still I like that it hides unwanted messages from my sms inbox.

The same funda. applies to blocking, as well — have mercy on your Truecaller and use a standalone blocker:—

1. Call Master Pro — needs root and a tech-savvy user (in development — but not very actively so and has recently been withdrawn from Google Play.)
  2. Root Call Blocker Pro — is the simplified edition (from the same Developer) of Call Master Pro (but, in active development)
  3. Extreme Call Blocker — doesn't need root (in active development) and unlike the above 2 blockers, is compatible with all kinds of RIL.

Knightmare

I'm really liking the Chomp SMS! That app is exactly what I needed! I'm a little skeptical about using an older version of an app just because I like to be updated with programs and apps. The only thing I liked about Truecaller before it merged with Truemessenger is that it contained a database of known bad/spam numbers. If I could find another program like that, I'd be golden. The one that I was using was called, "Should I Answer?" It claims to have a community that updates a database with spam numbers, but it has a lot of other features that I don't need. The other one that I tried prior to that was "Mr. Number." That one did a pretty good job but I think the last time I used it, I found that it hadn't been updated in a long time, so I figured it wasn't maintained well. Maybe it has changed since then--I don't know. I switched back to "Should I Answer?" so we'll see how it works.

Glad you like Chomp SMS — in case you prefer a lighter version of Chomp SMS, there's always Textra SMS from the same Developer (your choice.) ^_^

As for version 6.60 of Truecaller, have been using it for over a year (from Lollipop to Nougat) — Truecaller (like WhatsApp) is quite actively developed and I keep installing each new release to check all the latest advancement/s but have always ended, reverting to the older 6.60. Please note, I'm running it on the latest security patch sources (and kernel) from LineageOS 7.1.2 (there is no ROM newer than this.)

While it may seem that Truecaller has been on a frenetic update release spate, the truth is that they have been working exclusively on bloating the app. with dialer and messaging functionalities which explains why there are often conflicts with the latest V8 but never any with the older V6.

There is one issue though, with Truecaller, WhatsApp and also some other apps. — you better backup your contacts before installing any version of either app.

Knightmare
1 hour ago, dcs18 said:

Glad you like Chomp SMS — in case you prefer a lighter version of Chomp SMS, there's always Textra SMS from the same Developer (your choice.) ^_^

I saw Textra SMS right after I posted that comment. I did end up switching to Textra, since it also has blacklisting and it looks a little cleaner. I also noticed that Chomp SMS hasn't been updated since September, so I take this to mean that Textra was made to replace Chomp, since they are from the same developer and they look very similar.

Edited by Knightmare

3 hours ago, Knightmare said:

The only thing I liked about Truecaller before it merged with Truemessenger is that it contained a database of known bad/spam numbers. If I could find another program like that, I'd be golden.

The database and all the rest of the great features of Truecaller continue to be found in the V6 and the V8, as well — the only one (extremely negative) difference is the addition of a dialer and messenger, from the V7 upwards resulting in a slowdown (and conflict.)

For Users of the V6, there's no better player in this segment.

2 hours ago, Knightmare said:
3 hours ago, dcs18 said:

I saw Textra SMS right after I posted that comment. I did end up switching to Textra, since it also has blacklisting and it looks a little cleaner. I also noticed that Chomp SMS hasn't been updated since September, so I take this to mean that Textra was made to replace Chomp, since they are from the same developer and they look very similar.

Chomp SMS is very much in development and also the flagship product with more features than Textra SMS (hence, it's costlier.)

In order to blacklist Senders just hold down the message on the Conversation List (not the Chat List) and you'll see the Blacklist option (among other options) in the menu.

The paid version ensures that one doesn't have to encounter occasional ads. (on the Free edition) of either of those apps. ;)

Knightmare
1 hour ago, dcs18 said:

The paid version ensures that one doesn't have to encounter occasional ads. (on the Free edition) of either of those apps. ;)

This seems to do the trick :D:D:D 

A heads-up for folks who overlook the (somewhat hidden) customizations offered by Chomp SMS:—

On Conversations List, navigate from (the 3 dot) Menu to Settings >>----> Customize >>----> Theme It! >>----> Edit. B)

VIKTOR PAVEL
On 5/7/2017 at 8:15 AM, dcs18 said:

Decided recently that I'm done helping thankless and ungrateful Peeps — but, maybe you deserve a second chance (which actually is far more than second.)

Truecaller absorbed and merged their dialer (Truedialer) and their messaging client (Truemessenger) into Truecaller — recent androids do not allow the messaging function to be hijacked by another client unless it's made the default client.

The new breed of Truecallers are slower (than aggressive) due to bloat — you pay in  terms of performance, for using a suite when you should've been using standalone apps. which are specialized, in what they do.

For optimum performance, an older version of Truecaller is advisable — I use the last standalone release, the V6.60 Pro (the Free edition is worthwhile, too.) There's also a modded version — keep a healthy distance from it.

For texting purposes, I use arguably the best message client — Chomp SMS.

For my dialing needs, I depend on the indisputable king — DW Contacts & Phone & Dialer Pro.

ps:—

You need to harden-up your privacy through permissions WRT location, boot-up, system-modification, wake-locks, background running, background data mining, foreground data activity, drawing on top, notifications; access to storage, contacts, messaging, media, microphone, calendar, etc., etc  — firewalling knowledge is is as vital on Android as on Windows, if not more.

The same funda. applies to blocking, as well — have mercy on your Truecaller and use a standalone blocker:—

1. Call Master Pro — needs root and a tech-savvy user (in development — but not very actively so and has recently been withdrawn from Google Play.)
  2. Root Call Blocker Pro — is the simplified edition (from the same Developer) of Call Master Pro (but, in active development)
  3. Extreme Call Blocker — doesn't need root (in active development) and unlike the above 2 blockers, is compatible with all kinds of RIL.

thank you @dcs18

i was close install this program in my phone but after i read your good infos i will not install it ever!!!!!!

i have interest only with block unwant calls. i will install  Extreme Call Blocker and try it

Edited by VIKTOR PAVEL