vissha

Trump Move To Kill Privacy Rules Opposed By 72% Of Republicans, Survey Says

getty-privacy.jpg

Privacy is partisan for lawmakers, but not necessarily for the rest of us.

Although the move to eliminate Web browsing privacy rules was pushed through Congress by Republican lawmakers over the objections of Democrats, a new poll found that equal numbers of Republicans and Democrats approve of the rules and wanted them to be preserved.

President Donald Trump yesterday signed the repeal of online privacy rules that would have limited the ability of ISPs to share or sell customers' browsing history for advertising purposes, confirming action taken by the Senate and House. This was very much a partisan issue among elected officials. In a 50-48 vote, every Republican senator voted to kill privacy rules and every Democratic senator voted to preserve them. The House vote was 215-205, with 15 Republicans breaking ranks in order to support the privacy rules.

But ordinary Americans aren't split on the issue, according to a Huffington Post/YouGov survey that found 72 percent of Republicans and 72 percent of Democrats opposed the rollback.

"[E]ven identifying the bill as a GOP proposal isn’t enough to win it intra-party support," Huffington Post wrote. "Told that Republicans in Congress passed a bill to overturn the regulations that would ban the sharing of customers’ information, 72 percent of both Republicans and Democrats say the privacy rules should go into effect, with just 15 percent in each party believing the rules should be overturned." The rest answered, "not sure."

Full results are available here. The poll question asked, "Last year, the federal government adopted a set of rules to ban telecom and cable companies from sharing customers’ personal information, including their Web browsing history, without their permission. A Republican bill passed by Congress would overturn those rules before they go into effect. Which describes your opinion?" The question was answered by 362 Democrats and 248 Republicans.

Support for privacy rules was even greater in response to an earlier question that did not mention the plan to kill the rules. When asked, "Do you think telecom and cable companies should or should not be allowed to share personal information about customers, such as their Web browsing history, without first getting customers’ permission?", 82 percent of Democrats and 84 percent of Republicans said ISPs should not be allowed to share such information without customers' prior consent.

Most aren’t aware of VPNs and Tor

Eighty percent of survey respondents reported being "somewhat" or "very" concerned about the privacy of personal information online. But most don't know much about privacy-protecting technologies. When asked if they'd ever used anonymous browsing technologies like proxy servers, Tor, or VPNs, 55 percent either were not sure or did not know what those technologies are. Sixty-three percent of Republicans weren't sure or didn't know what those technologies are, compared to 53 percent of Democrats.

YouGov polls are conducted differently from traditional telephone surveys. YouGov's panel of people who agreed to participate in online surveys "is itself not representative of the US population, but samples are drawn from that panel to match a random sample of respondents drawn from the Census Bureau’s American Community Survey," the survey methodology says.

No poll is perfect, but YouGov has gained some recognition. The Economist has partnered with YouGov for years. FiveThirtyEight gives YouGov a "B" rating—the site's grades for other polls range from A+ to F.

Lawmakers and donations from lobbyists

On privacy, the Huffington Post/YouGov poll found large majorities supporting privacy rules regardless of age, gender, race, income, and geographical region, though there were differences within groups. But the people whose opinions really counted were Republican elected officials and ISPs who lobbied to kill the rules.

No Democratic lawmakers voted to repeal the privacy rules, even though elected officials from both major parties received plenty of financial donations from telecom companies, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. ISPs tend to spread their cash around to both parties in hopes of gaining favor throughout the government, but Republicans who voted to keep the privacy rules have not been rewarded as richly as Republicans who voted to eliminate them.

"On the House side, while there wasn’t a huge difference in overall funds received by lawmakers voting for or against the resolution, there was a gap in the Republican vote," the research group said. "GOP lawmakers who voted to quash the rule received an average of $138,000 from the industry over the course of their careers. The 15 Republicans voting nay? They got just $77,000." A difference of $37,566 to $21,395 was also observed when looking at these numbers for 2016 only. Three House Democrats who abstained from the vote received higher donations than Democrats on average, the analysis found.

Source

• Replies 1
  • Views 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

None of this matters now, it's over they put laws in place were the FCC cant make new laws   I'm a independent so i oppose some things Democrats and Republicans both do and I endorse some things both parties do,  In the end  it  was you're congressman  who failed you. Trump is just  going along with his parties interest  . If the Republican congress wanted to allow Government Agencies like the FCC to make laws they  would of voted to let it trough . If they didn't want it stopped it wouldn't be   even if Trump wanted it  Just like Obama care the Republican congress kept it in place for awhile longer and it didn't matter what Trump wanted . It's not a one person system. :P

Besides 82 percent of Republicans still are against Big Government, so it was no shocker too see them shoot the FCCs laws down . They dont want too see them too be able to dictate the law regardless if its good are bad.

Only thing you can do now is do now what i been doing  since 2011 is take matters into you're own hands and step up and try too protect you're own privacy. Even if of it would went in too effect  I would not changed a thing i do  I dont trust the FCC or the Government with my privacy  every since they started raiding data centers with everyone's stuff  in the USA and you shouldn't ether regardless .of were you're from . I was not born yesterday to believe this bureaucratic BS that the Libtards or the  Republicans care about my privacy this why I'm a independent.

I look at it different than most 1. Fact is the FCC's law was all smoke and mirrors  there was a loop hole were all they had too do is rewrite there Toss and make you agree  to them harvesting you're data . (There was no part of the bill were the FCC prevented this.)  2. It's a wake up call, people should of been heading this for 15 or 16 years . 3. ISPs  selling you're data is nothing new in the USA it's old as dirt. 4. It shows how out of touch with reality most people on the internet  are.  5. if you dont take matters in you're own hands you have no one to blame but yourself. Most have been letting Google, Facebook  and others sell there  data for many years and they have a choice not too sign in too these services but billions  all over the whole world stilt do . :)

Archived