Google’s Android Overtakes Windows as the World’s Number 1 Operating System

CrAKeN

google-s-android-overtakes-windows-as-th

Android is now the world's top OS

Android is officially the world’s most popular operating system in terms of Internet usage, according to new data provided by StatCounter, as it managed to overtake Microsoft’s Windows.

Figures concerning desktop, laptop, tablet, and mobile usage combined show that Android is now powering no less than 37.93 percent of the devices connected to the Internet, while Windows fell to the second place with 37.91 percent.

Without a doubt, the huge growth experienced by Android in the last few years, which helped it secure a market share of more than 80 percent in the mobile industry, contributed to Google gaining the leading spot over Windows, and StatCounter describes this switch of places as “the end of an era.”

“This is a milestone in technology history and the end of an era,” Aodhan Cullen, CEO, StatCounter, said today. “It marks the end of Microsoft’s leadership worldwide of the OS market which it has held since the 1980s. It also represents a major breakthrough for Android which held just 2.4% of global internet usage share only five years ago.”

No investment in mobile

Microsoft’s biggest problem is that its mobile platform barely exists, with Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile currently powering around 1 percent of the smartphones out there – some research firms put it at 1.3 percent, while others claim the platform is doing worse, with a share of around 0.5 percent.

Despite the fact that it’s leading on the desktop, with Windows holding a share of around 84 percent, Microsoft loses ground due to the mobile platform that is constantly declining every month.

With sales of smartphones skyrocketing in the last few years and PC shipments going down every quarter, it was just a matter of time until Android managed to overtake Windows, and it’s probably a change that Microsoft itself expected to happen.

Redmond, however, isn’t very interested in investing in mobile, and although its mobile platform is collapsing, there’s little chance for Windows 10 Mobile to return to growth anytime soon.

Source

• Replies 10
  • Views 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

While I personally think there is no other replacement for the PC, an official Android for PC can be really useful for many people I think.

19 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

While I personally think there is no other replacement for the PC, an official Android for PC can be really useful for many people I think.

I live in a area were smartphones dont work very well just to make a call out on one  you have to walk around and find a signal so i just use a burner for  if i need too make a call if I'm away from home .No one at my house owns a smart phone because of this we all have normal cell phones. and we still use the land line too make calls at home. But i noticed years ago many people use there smart phone more than there PCs i been expecting this to happen for years .And when I visit the city even people who dont own a PC have smartphones with the internet.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, steven36 said:

I live in a area were smartphones dont work very well just to make a call out on one  you have to walk around and find a signal so i just use a burner for  if i need too make a call if I'm away from home .No one at my house owns a smart phone because of this we all have normal cell phones. and we still use the landland too make calls at home. But i noticed years ago many people use there smart phone more than there PCs i been expecting this to happen for years .And when I visit the city even people who dont own a PC have smartphones with the internet.

I see.

In my country, a computer revolution never happened - surprising is not it. Whatever happened only happened only on paper. Then the mobile revolution came then due to cheap Indian brands, smartphone revolution came. You will be surprised, in India, mobile to computer users ratio might be somewhere around 20 by 1 or by most 10 by 1. This is how many mobile users compared to computer users are here.

21 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

I see.

In my country, a computer revolution never happened - surprising is not it. Whatever happened only happened only on paper. Then the mobile revolution came then due to cheap Indian brands, smartphone revolution came. You will be surprised, in India, mobile to computer users ratio might be somewhere around 20 by 1 or by most 10 by 1. This is how many mobile users compared to computer users are here.

Here the PC  revolution has came and went kind of  most every one  had PCs  for 15 years or longer so the young adults of today grew up around a PC . Smart phones are reaching out  in slums and places were you  would not see many with a PC. And it's replaced the PC for a lot of people who stay on the go . But if you live in a  semi dead zone like i do there not very effective  Another thing we dont have cheap phones here yet but  the carriers are happy to lease you one cheap with long distance , internet and  a nice smart phone.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, steven36 said:

Here the PC  revolution has came and went kind of  most every one  had PCs  for 15 years or longer so the young adults of today grew up around a PC . Smart phones are reaching out  in slums and places were you  would not see many with a PC. And it's replaced the PC for a lot of people stay on the go . But if you live in a  semi dead zone like i do there not very effective  Another thing we dont have cheap phones here yet but  the carriers are happy to lease you one cheap with long distance , internet and  a nice smart phone.

Yes. I know, I'm surprised to see lot of elders using computers there, something that you will hardly see here.

53 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

Yes. I know, I'm surprised to see lot of elders using computers there, something that you will hardly see here.

Here are the problems we have with cell phones . If you live a long ways from a tower or a place with  hills, mountains, ridges, bluffs and similar terrain around  will block cellular signals. So its best ether use DSL  , Satellite or dial up  according  too what you can afford and whats available  if  you live in the sticks lol.

http://www.deadcellzones.com/coverage-help.html

In numerical terms, 6% of Americans lack access to fixed terrestrial Internet service at 10Mbps download/1Mbps upload and 5% lack access to such services at 4Mbps/1Mbps. Roughly, that's 19.9 million Americans who can't buy wired broadband of at least 10Mbps/1Mbps and 16.1 million Americans who can't purchase wired broadband of at least 4Mbps/1Mbps. When you apply the new 25Mbps/3Mbps standard, the number jumps to 34 million, or about 10% of the country.

https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2016/02/07/how-many-americans-dont-have-access-to-broadband-i.aspx

With our government repealing net neutrality i doubt  this will change they will let our ISPs stay a monopoly. You may ask what does this have too do with Smart Phones ?

Well it drives smart phone use  up in places were they have good signals because unlike DSL  and cable there is no monopoly many isps you can chose  for a phone . Many have done away with land lines all together . Dial Up use to be monopoly in many areas too  but by the time many of us got DSL  it changed but it was too late by then we traded a former monopoly for another active one.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, steven36 said:

Here are the problems we have with cell phones . If you live a long ways from a tower or a place with  hills, mountains, ridges, bluffs and similar terrain around  will block cellular signals. So its best ether use DSL  , Satellite or dial up  according  too what you can afford and whats available  if  you live in the sticks lol.

http://www.deadcellzones.com/coverage-help.html

https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2016/02/07/how-many-americans-dont-have-access-to-broadband-i.aspx

With our government repealing net neutrality i doubt  this will change they will let our ISPs stay a monopoly. You may ask what does this have too do with Smart Phones ?

Well it drives smart phone use  up in places were they have good signals because unlike DSL  and cable there is no monopoly many isps you can chose  for a phone . Many have done away with land lines all together . Dial Up use to be monopoly in many areas too  but by the time many of us got DSL  it changed but it was too late by then we traded a former monopoly for another active one.

I see. That's still better than the average 2.5Mbps average national speed here, with just 500Kbps minimum speed allowed as per rules. :P

Used ADSL and previous things for years, know the problems with it very well. Biggest issue here is the line quality and constant noise. Here there is no RF based cable internet, however, cable providers give internet on LAN wires, which I feel is more superior then ADSL. As for mobile internet, it's fast, but too expensive here.

33 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

Biggest issue here is the line quality and constant noise. Here there is no RF based cable internet, however, cable providers give internet on LAN wires

Same problems here, but to top it all off many rural areas they dont run no cable yet for TV many use satellite , If you live in a place that have no DSL  and must use satellite internet witch is expensive you need  dial up too  because satellite internet is very limited  too like 200 mb a day and if you go over you get throttled so bad for 24 hours that it's unusable. So if you live in  a rural area and have a 3- 8Mbps DSL line you're lucky and if anything messes up, it has too break all the way for them to fix it and sometimes it takes a very long time for this too happen. 

As far as Mobile data  we have  some carriers who will sell you a Unlimited Data Plan for 50 or 60 dollars  a month this is much cheaper than paying for satellite internet for limited data witch is like 80 or more dollars  a month.

https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Unlimited-Data-Plans-For-Cell-Phones

• Administrator
2 hours ago, steven36 said:

Same problems here, but to top it all off many rural areas they dont run no cable yet for TV many use satellite , If you live in a place that have no DSL  and must use satellite internet witch is expensive you need  dial up too  because satellite internet is very limited  too like 200 mb a day and if you go over you get throttled so bad for 24 hours that it's unusable. So if you live in  a rural area and have a 3- 8Mbps DSL line you're lucky and if anything messes up, it has too break all the way for them to fix it and sometimes it takes a very long time for this too happen. 

As far as Mobile data  we have  some carriers who will sell you a Unlimited Data Plan for 50 or 60 dollars  a month this is much cheaper than paying for satellite internet for limited data witch is like 80 or more dollars  a month.

https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Unlimited-Data-Plans-For-Cell-Phones

I see. Yes. I have read this a few days ago here. So know some of it. :P

Here, in mobile, there is no unlimited. There is, but that's with fair usage policy, something that's really crappy. In it, lets say if you reach a specific 3-5GB per month, your speed will be changed to 256Kbps or such.

Archived