LGA pin lifespan

mclaren85

Hello nsaners,

I open up my computer every 6 months to clean and reapply thermal paste. But my motherboard is LGA which means the pins located on the motherboard not on the cpu. So do you think these tiny pins on the mobo will wear out if I plugin & plugout too often? Because pins look flexible and fragile.

Any ideas will be appreciated guys.

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I'm not an expert, but most certainly yes, they can bend or even break. Here is a thread with images for it.

My question and suggestion is, why actually remove the CPU when doing so, just let the CPU remain on the motherboard, open the socket, but do not remove the CPU from the socket. Then carefully clean it and reapply it.

No reason to unseat and seat a CPU, unless you are replacing it ... 

You reapply thermal paste on top top of the CPU die .. So you just remove the HS and F

You can easily clean the mounted chip with a alcohol moistened Qtip, no other reason to be OC

40 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

My question and suggestion is, why actually remove the CPU when doing so

That's because not to put so much pressure on the cpu while cleaning the old paste.

Maybe I should leave it as it is, or switch to AMD because they use PGA.

2 minutes ago, mclaren85 said:

That's because not to put so much pressure on the cpu while cleaning the old paste.

Just food for thought. CPU can handle the pressure of heatsink easily. If i were you i won't be too worry when cleaning it with hands.

And no, AMD pins have more risk of bending since it's located on the CPU. Trust me, i've experienced countless bents on my old AMD processors but never happened on my intel pins so far.

19 hours ago, trufpal said:

AMD pins have more risk of bending since it's located on the CPU. Trust me, i've experienced countless bents on my old AMD processors but never happened on my intel pins so far.

How did you manage to bend a cpu pin? I guess sometimes thermal paste acts like a glue between cpu and heatsink. Is that the reason?

1 hour ago, mclaren85 said:

How did you manage to bend a cpu pin? I guess sometimes thermal paste acts like a glue between cpu and heatsink. Is that the reason?

That and also improper storing and careless handling. But mostly is because the reason you mentioned above.

The only thing i can imagine someone could bent LGA pins is if they dropped something on top of it. For the record, i also clean my PC regularly. I can't remember how many times i've take my CPU off and put it back on. Guess what? My pins are all fine. Never got any bent or damage.

As long as you do it carefully and make sure the CPU is seated properly then you should be fine.

• Administrator
On 3/4/2017 at 10:44 PM, mclaren85 said:

On 3/4/2017 at 10:52 PM, trufpal said:

Just food for thought. CPU can handle the pressure of heatsink easily. If i were you i won't be too worry when cleaning it with hands.

And no, AMD pins have more risk of bending since it's located on the CPU. Trust me, i've experienced countless bents on my old AMD processors but never happened on my intel pins so far.

Come to think of it, there is some plastic between the pins and CPU, so putting some force onto it will not bend the pins. But, I for one would be too conscious to unseat the CPU, especially with the thermal paste around - which can be removed however.

I must also mention, if you buy a good quality thermal paste, you probably do not need to reapply it so fast. I know many experts doing it and I guess it might be right, but I doubt I have reapplied mine from couple of years now, still it's fine.

Having said, though I have never owned an AMD processor, reading this I'm worried. Is the bending the pins on AMD so easily possible and can they be fixed easily or such.

5 hours ago, DKT27 said:

Come to think of it, there is some plastic between the pins and CPU, so putting some force onto it will not bend the pins. But, I for one would be too conscious to unseat the CPU, especially with the thermal paste around - which can be removed however.

I must also mention, if you buy a good quality thermal paste, you probably do not need to reapply it so fast. I know many experts doing it and I guess it might be right, but I doubt I have reapplied mine from couple of years now, still it's fine. Also, I must mention, I live in a hot country and high humidity city.

Having said, though I have never owned an AMD processor, reading this I'm worried. Is the bending the pins on AMD so easily possible and can they be fixed easily or such.

Oh yeah, i forgot to say that unseating the CPU is unnecessary most of the time. In my case, i had to unseat it when i want to clean up thoroughly. I'm living in a tropical country and dust getting accumulated easily here. At some point i had to disassemble my PC to clean up all the parts.

As for AMD pins, all bent that happened to my processors because i was careless and didn't store them properly. They're old processors and i don't use them anymore, so it's not really a big deal to me.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, trufpal said:

Oh yeah, i forgot to say that unseating the CPU is unnecessary most of the time. In my case, i had to unseat it when i want to clean up thoroughly. I'm living in a tropical country and dust getting accumulated easily here. At some point i had to disassemble my PC to clean up all the parts.

As for AMD pins, all bent that happened to my processors because i was careless and didn't store them properly. They're old processors and i don't use them anymore, so it's not really a big deal to me.

Similar thing here. :P

As for AMD, well, Ryzen does look interesting here. :P

3 hours ago, DKT27 said:

Similar thing here. :P

As for AMD, well, Ryzen does look interesting here. :P

Sure it does. The performance is comparable to top tier Intel processor but with half of the price. I'm planning to get Ryzen for my next upgrade. Currently using i5-3330 and it's already feel slow.

• Administrator
15 hours ago, trufpal said:

Sure it does. The performance is comparable to top tier Intel processor but with half of the price. I'm planning to get Ryzen for my next upgrade. Currently using i5-3330 and it's already feel slow.

I'm on first generation i5 here. :P

As for AMD Ryzen, lots per core and gaming performance issues. But as games become more optimized for both AMD and more cores, I guess it will improve. I for one care for price per performance rather than performance as per model and such.

Archived