SoundCloud changes policy, moves US user data controller from Europe to the States

CrAKeN

soundcloud_story.jpg

Berlin-based online music distribution platform SoundCloud has announced a change to its privacy policy, a change which is aimed at its users from the United States.

The firm has a number of local equivalents in different countries, collectively referred to as the 'SoundCloud Group'. This is important because of the new section called 'Data Controller' that will become part of its policy starting next month.

In essence, all user data from the site was until now controlled by its European entity, SoundCloud Limited. From May onwards, data from users in the US will be transferred to the United States subsidiary, SoundCloud Inc. The full change is below:

Data controller

If you are a US user, your data is controlled by our United States entity SoundCloud Inc. If you are a user from outside the United States, your data is controlled by our European entity SoundCloud Limited. In order to determine whether you are a United States user or a user from outside the United States, we use your device’s IP address at time of registration. We may share your data with other companies within the SoundCloud Group. A sharing of data will only take place in accordance with the specific purposes outlined in this Privacy Policy. You can withdraw your consent at any time.

United States users’ data may be processed by SoundCloud Limited on SoundCloud Inc.’s behalf.

This expansion of the policy is done on the back of what SoundCloud views as its continued growth, motivating that they want users' data from a certain country to be controlled by the appropriate local equivalent. The firm also goes on to state that this move will allow them to "provide those users with a more personalized SoundCloud experience".

The new privacy policy takes effect May 17, 2017 and can be read in full here.

Source

• Replies 2
  • Views 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has to do with users privacy and them harvesting you're data and selling it to 3rd parties  it not about technology. If they move part of it to the states they can sell you're data if you are from the USA ..This is why i dont bother joining many sites like these and if i do I use a vpn, with ip from somewhere else/

How to delete you're account

https://help.soundcloud.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003563188-Deleting-your-account

I suggest If you are state side  delete it and tell them  there privacy policy is unacceptable when the ask for feedback and use a vpn or proxy from the EU and sign back up if you still want too  use there service.

This news about user privacy/data policy, this news suitable on security & privacy news forum.

Topic moved from technology news forum.

Archived