Intel Optane Memory Will Not Be Supported With Kaby Lake Celeron And Pentium Systems

CrAKeN

When Intel unveiled its Optane memory solution this week, it seemed like an ideal performance pick-me-up for low-end rigs. Its goal is to cache all of your important bits so as to make the PC more responsive, and quicker in general. The fact that Intel itself promotes the current Optane solution at those using mechanical hard drives is additional proof that low-end PCs are being targeted.

However, as we now learn, there is one important caveat to be aware of: while Optane requires a Kaby Lake processor to work, the low-end Celeron and Pentium variants are out-of-luck. Those lowest-end of the low-end CPUs will simply not be able to take advantage of Optane.

Intel_Optane.jpg

It goes without saying that this is a real bummer, and it makes Intel's sell for the current Optane solution a lot more difficult. While Intel is emphasizing the use of Optane on hard drive-based systems, today's SSDs prices are downright affordable at this point. You can score a 240 GB SSD for around $80 USD without much effort these days. And for most users, that's going to be more than enough space and the performance boost compared to a HDD will be enormous.

This reality means that those looking to use Optane will be required to have at least a Core i3 processor, such as the i3-7300, priced at $138 (per 1,000). As it is right now though, Optane isn't actually available on the market, so it could be that real tests will prove that it's still a must-have solution. With that being said, even though Optane won't be available for Celeron and Pentium owners, rest assured that you can always pick up an affordable SSD to meet your storage needs.

Source

• Replies 1
  • Views 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact is   there not going come stock with a Optane SSD or Optane Memory no how  if you just pay 300 or 400 dollars  for a  Celeron or Pentium System so you get nothing with low end pcs. Most of these PCs cant  even be upgraded  very much no how,  just like now if you go out and  buy a 300 dollar PC with a cheap chip  the best you could do is buy a 3rd party SSD  to make them run faster . The old saying is you get what you pay for. Pentium technology has not been modern since the early 2000s when PCs use too cost over a $1000 dollars for  a PC with a Pentium processor . So if you want better stock hardware that can be upgraded  latter on you have too pay for it !

If you want a better PC for less money you need to build you're own because if you buy one  it's going at lest set you back over a grand or two and you don't build on no cheep Celeron or Pentium processor no way  if you want one of them you can get a new  PC 300 or 400 dollars  at Walmart  pre built  just to watch videos and to check emails is all there good for They will run a little faster if you buy a  3rd party SSD  but you cant turn straw into gold.no how. They were never meant for gaming or encoding or anything that takes lots of process no way. you will to have too buy or build a mid range or high range  PC for this. :)

The way most articles make it sound is that one still installs the OS on a traditional drive, be it SSD or spinning rust, and then they install the software that caches programs and data to the drive but to me that seems a) like a waste and b) it means that people won't be able to use it with any OS that Intel and MS don't want it to be used with; I know the software will only install on Win10 but I doubt there will be a Linux/BSD version.

I see myself building a low end Kaby Lake Celeron/Pentium system with 8GB of fast ram, picking up a 16GB Optane module and installing Ubuntu or Manjaro with the latest kernel on it for a really responsive system.

You can go out and buy a 300 or 400 dollar Intel PC and put Linux in just for office work and watching videos listening to music and it will run circles around a low end PC with Windows on it. Just like many are installing new  Linux distros like Linux Mint 18 x on Pendulum 4 from  the early 2000s still  you dont need all this fancy crap unless you  game and Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 run better with a mid range to high range price processor witch it would be cheaper if you bought AMD . I knew from the the start Kaby Lake if  you wanted too reap most of it's benefits you will need windows 10  .

And really to people who dont game there is nothing that came out so far that really benefits us enough to want too make us buy new hardware yet. Windows 7. 8.1 Windows 10 runs fine on our old  mid range to high range hardware. To us it's  just a hype train. To make most everyone want to buy new hardware again  Windows would have too be incompatible with old hardware by the time Windows 7 runs out of updates like back when everyone bought Windows 7 PCs  to replace XP. PCs and this still dont mean some wont switch to Linux  or keep Windows 7 with no updates to hold on to there old hardware.:)

The only thing would benefit me would  be  , i could encode Hevc videos faster if i bought newer hardware but it's not fast enough because i can encode h264 full movie video in like a hour . When PCs can encode Hevc videos this fast i will think about it . But in the meantime there's plenty of H265 and H264 in the cloud I can download  I've not encoded very much since i switch too watching mostly H265 videos, With streaming becoming the new wave encoding videos in the cloud is taking over anyways. I use the cloud to do some things with videos and other files myself its much faster  and  it dont  use hardly none of my PC resources what so ever . We are living in a automated world today.

The thing is the Cloud  can upload and encode much faster than any PC and with them streaming  only they need fast internet  even with fast internet 4k video the buffer is crap so them making PCs to support 4k is overrated unless you plain to download these giant videos and watch them offline.

Archived