Thinking about switching to Windows 10? Now’s the time to act

Karlston

Upgrade in the next couple of weeks, while Windows 10 is the safest it'll be for many months to come

Thinking about switching to Windows 10? Now’s the time to act
Credit: Pixabay

If you’ve been sitting on the fence about whether to move to Windows 10—either by upgrading your current PC from Windows 7 or 8.1 or by buying a new system—the next couple of weeks present a rather unique opportunity. It's a patching perfect storm. 

If you upgrade to Win10 or buy a new system before April 11, you’ll get Windows 10 Anniversary Update, version 1607, which has become remarkably stable. Wait two weeks and you likely end up in the unpaid beta testing phase of Win10 version 1703, the Creators Update. Creators Update problems will sort themselves out over the next few months, but why subject yourself to the drama?

I’m not going to tell you to upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10. There are plenty of good reasons to stick with what you’ve got. But if you’re ready to move on, the timing’s right.

If you’re running Win7 or 8.1 on your PC, there’s a free upgrade to Win10 waiting for you. Yes, it’s still free--that warning about free upgrades ending on July 29, 2016 was just a marketing ploy. To get your free, and perfectly valid and legal upgrade from a genuine copy of Win7 or 8.1, go to the Download Windows 10 page and either upgrade your current PC or create a bootable USB flash drive that’ll do the dirty deed.

If it turns out you don’t like Win10, and want to revert to Win7 or 8.1, there are some details and potential pitfalls to rolling back your upgrade, but by and large you can go back within 30 days.

If you buy a new PC, make sure you run it through Windows Update once before April 11, to bring it up to the latest build of Win10 Anniversary Update. Then lock it down. I’ll have ongoing, monthly instructions for updating version 1607 without getting tossed to the not-yet-satiated 1703 wolves.

Get 1607 while it’s hot—before 1703 locks you in its steely eyes.

Questions? Hit me on the AskWoody Lounge.

Source: Thinking about switching to Windows 10? Now’s the time to act (InfoWorld - Woody Leonhard)

• Replies 12
  • Views 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL  Woody and is followers are on a different plant than the rest of the universe. Microsoft will be spending the next  3 mths rolling out RS2 forcing  people who dont use LTSB too update . I wonder just how many of the 400+ Million users of Windows even bother to block windows 10 updates like some advanced users have figured out how too do it ?

Here are the improvements in Redstone 2 updates

Windows Update

Considering Microsoft is on a much faster release cadence for Windows these days, it makes sense to hear that the company overhauled the Windows Update experience with the Creators Update. Starting with the Creators Update, Windows Update will no longer have to download a full version of Windows whenever a major update is available. Instead, it'll only download the files needed to apply the update, meaning major updates can be up to 35 percent smaller when downloaded via Windows Update. This means less data use on your internet provider and faster downloads overall.

This is a huge change for Windows Update and one that is welcomed by many, especially those on limited internet connections. Microsoft calls this new Windows Update system the "Unified Update Platform," and it is now the same system used across both PC and Mobile devices powered by Windows. Microsoft says the Unified Update Platform means checking for updates should be quicker too, another bonus over the older system.

I've found the Unified Update Platform to be super beneficial, especially if you're an Insider upgrading build over build once a week. Instead of having to download a full 3GB file, the updates are now closer to 1GB. For normal consumers, you'll likely see anywhere from a decrease of 500MB to 1.5GB in download size when upgrading between major versions of Windows 10 once on the Creators Update.

Other changes to Windows Update include an improvement to Active Hours, which can now last up to 18 hours as requested by the immense amount of feedback Microsoft received from Insiders. Microsoft has also made changes to how Windows will install updates automatically. Windows will no longer force you to restart to install an update, and it will warn you several times that a restart is coming before it actually takes place.

Installing updates out of the blue is a thing Windows 10 has become known for over the last several months, where the likes of gamers streaming on services like Twitch were caught up with Windows 10 updates midstream because they hadn't installed updates earlier. The Creators Update appears to fix this problem, with several new warnings ahead of the actual restart. You can even set a time yourself for when the update will install, giving you as much control as possible over updates. There's also now a feature that allows you to delay feature updates from installing for up to seven days.

There's no way to turn off updates in Windows 10 still

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-creators-update-review#winupdate

And yes there are ways too turn updates off so that is false but only a advanced user would know how and some advanced users just dont care.. but I'm sure not going too stay behind on that messed up update system Redstone 1 has  That was my biggest problem with RS 1  is updates took too long,  And if you like Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 there is no rush.. RS3 will be out this fall .  2019 will be when i will start telling people on Windows 7 on my network   to move off too something else . Microsoft dont flip the switch tell 2020 on Windows 7.  .:)

15 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

at one post he praises that OS and at the other he shits on it

It's called being unbiased/fair/even-handed :)

1 hour ago, steven36 said:

Woody and is followers are on a different plant than the rest of the universe. Microsoft will be spending the 3 mths rolling out RS2 forcing  people who dont use LTSB too update .

Planet Common-Sense? Better than planet Oooooh-Aaaahhhhhhh-new-Windows-update-MUST-have-it-now!

That's why he mentions how to lock it down after moving to 1607.

15 minutes ago, Karlston said:

That's why he mentions how to lock it down after moving to 1607.

I did too .and downloaded my updates from windows catalog   I always keep updates blocked in my Firewall when  not using updates but with the new update  system I'm hoping when update gets  posted i can take it off block and do my updates real fast I need too do do   Cumulative Update KB4016250 for Windows 10 v1703 Build 15063.11 now i guess i will need too install via power shell since not a insider. Insiders say its a really fast update though .:P

3 hours ago, Karlston said:

Wait two weeks and you likely end up in the unpaid beta testing phase of Win10 version 1703

As if you weren't a beta tester from day 1.  Windows 10 has been in beta testing phase since then.  Otherwise they would come out with a final, stable version and just post patches like every other version.  This constant new upgrades are nothing more than betas though and no matter how many insiders test it prior to them releasing it there are always problems.  Windows 10 is not worth the hassle.  I think I will wait for Windows 11.

2 minutes ago, straycat19 said:

As if you weren't a beta tester from day 1.  Windows 10 has been in beta testing phase since then.  Otherwise they would come out with a final, stable version and just post patches like every other version.  This constant new upgrades are nothing more than betas though and no matter how many insiders test it prior to them releasing it there are always problems.  Windows 10 is not worth the hassle.  I think I will wait for Windows 11.

Windows 10 Redstone update 1 is pretty stable. maybe you simply don't know what you doing with your system for calling it unstable, have you ever thought about that?

switch to w10, why not just say , " hey lets do something stupid that u will regret" Ive been married to a bitch, divorced and came out still owning my 1978 Chevy vega, I aint gonna risk any bad luck! LOL    FTW!!!!!

1 hour ago, straycat19 said:

Otherwise they would come out with a final, stable version and just post patches like every other version.

Given the inherent dynamic nature of the “last version of Windows”, Windows 10 can never be regarded as mature.

Earlier Windows versions had their feature-set set in concrete. If you liked it you upgraded to it, safe in the knowledge that there would be no major changes. If you didn’t like it, you just stayed with an earlier Windows version. Easy peasy...

So, what’s a Windows 10 user to do when they really dislike a major change? Learn to live with it, or stop accepting updates, or move to a pre-Windows 10 version. Not really much of a choice…

owning my 1978 Chevy vega

according to wikipedia vega had only these:
Model years 1971–1977

Maybe you was thinking of how many HP it had? lol
dont feel bad I once owned a Pinto

3 minutes ago, 46&2 said:

according to wikipedia vega had only these:
Model years 1971–1977

yep, typo from me, it is '77

4 minutes ago, 46&2 said:

Maybe you was thinking of how many HP it had? lol

lmao actually has 84 HP :hehe: