Microsoft releases Win10 Creators Update—but proceed with caution

Karlston

ISOs for build 15063 may be available, but users would be wise not to install them until they're ready for prime time

Microsoft releases Win10 Creators Update—but proceed with caution
Credit: Shutterstock

Microsoft has quietly released the full, original disk images (ISOs) for build 15063 of Windows 10 version 1703—the Creators Update, codename Redstone 2—and yesterday Windows fan Steve Truman, @KPRP42, published a list of links to Microsoft’s Techbench download servers.

I recommend that you do not install these ISOs. In fact, over the course of the week I will describe how to avoid the Creators Update, at least until it’s ready for prime time. No matter how you slice it, Creators Update isn’t ready for any PC that you rely on.

That said, if you have a sacrificial machine and don’t want to join the 10 million Windows Insiders in their unpaid beta testing, you can see a description of the downloads along with their links in Andy Weir’s Neowin article from last night.

Microsoft has already pushed build 15063 onto Windows Insider PCs in both the Fast and Slow rings. If this rollout mimics previous ones, three more steps are likely, in this order:

• Build 15063 will roll out to those in the Windows Insider Preview ring. I expect to see a Release Preview announcement any day.
  • The ISO files will be posted on the MSDN site for paying customers to download.
  • At about the same time we’ll get some sort of official acknowledgment that this is the “real” Creators Update, along with general availability of the ISOs. It’ll be interesting to see how Microsoft words the announcement, having spent more than a week dodging questions as to whether build 15063 is in fact RTM.

Much more is yet to come. While the Windows lemmings rush to install the latest, developers at Microsoft still have their heads down, building a big first-time patch—or series of patches—for Creators Update. When version 1703 hits, it will likely incorporate build 15063 and some aggregation of patches. Look for build 15063.x, where x is greater than 1. Those who already have 15063 installed—from the Insider Program or by downloading and installing the ISOs—will have to apply outstanding cumulative updates in order to get their systems brought up to speed.

We saw this happen with the Anniversary Update. The base build 14393, released on July 19, was bumped up to 14393.3 the week before release on July 25, then 14393.10 finally emerged as the “real” released version at general availability, on Aug. 2.

You may also recall that 14393.10 brought with it an astounding number of drop-dead bugs, which I wrote about on  Aug. 4, Sept. 13Sept. 15, Sept. 30, and even as late as Oct. 13—more than two months after the original release. That’s in addition to the minor bugs and self-inflicted bugs introduced by interim fixes and patches.

This is the way it’s always been. There were even more bugs with the Fall (renamed November) Update, build 10586—I counted nine cumulative updates in the first three weeks. Microsoft has conveniently pulled the list of released build numbers for version 1511.

It’s still hard to believe, but this behavior—a massive numbers of bugs seen in the first few months after release—is by design; it’s part of Windows as a Service.

pilot cannon fodderInfoWorld

This cannon-fodder phase, officially designated “Pilot” in this slide from a presentation by Microsoft Product Manager Nic Fillingham, spans the time from general availability until the version is anointed with the Current Branch for Business designation. That typically takes four months, during which time those who install the latest version of Windows 10 are, by hook or by crook, part of the pilot program. 

When can we expect the final version of the Creators Update to roll out to the hoi polloi? Tero Alhonen may have nailed the RTM release date last Saturday, when he discovered a line inside a new program released by Microsoft, that says:

<PublishedMedia id=”1355” release=”20170411 RS2_RTM WU”>

The reference to “20170411” strongly suggests the Creators Update will be released on April 11. That’s also Patch Tuesday, so we’re gonna be busy.

After Creators Update hits general availability, it will start appearing on unprotected Win10 systems. Gregg Keizer posted an in-depth review of the process yesterday on Computerworld:

According to advertising network AdDuplex, 60 days after the Aug. 2, 2016, introduction of Windows 10 1607—aka Anniversary Update—just 35% of measured Windows 10 PCs were running the upgrade. By the 90-day mark, however, that number had soared to 80%, showing that Microsoft, after a purposefully slow start, had stomped on the update accelerator.

I think of it as a remotely controlled extended beta test, where the paying testers generally have no idea they’re running on a rat wheel.

For now, you don’t need to do anything except watch and wait. And tell your friends.

Discussion continues on the AskWoody Lounge.

Source: Microsoft releases Win10 Creators Update—but proceed with caution (InfoWorld - Woody Leonhard)

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a hypocrite  he  tells people  not  too install it. but installs it himself :P

Minimal install of Win10 Creators Update

https://www.askwoody.com/2017/minimal-install-of-win10-creators-update/

• #104924 Reply

woody

I installed Win10 Creators Update, build 15063, in the cleanest way possible – no activation key, no Microsoft account, and turning off all of the  Privacy settings.

He couldn't wait ether lol That's the way I done it too but there's whole lot more stuff that needs blocked too keep it from calling home and to other sites like Facebook after you install it  .

The only bug I've encountered thus far is when using gpedit.msc. The window does not display correctly when trying to reposition it on the screen. Anyone else have the same thing?

for me Hotspot shield, the version found on here, doesn't install right. im not sure whether the problem is from hotspot or Windows 10 RS2. the rest is fine

>>>  No matter how you slice it, Creators Update isn’t ready for any PC that you rely on.

I installed it fresh and it works fine. A few minor crashes in the settings app (like the "About" window), but other than that, so far so good.

4 hours ago, Karlston said:

Microsoft has quietly released the full, original disk images (ISOs) for build 15063 of Windows 10 version 1703—the Creators Update, codename Redstone 2—and yesterday Windows fan Steve Truman, @KPRP42, published a list of links to Microsoft’s Techbench download servers.

I recommend that you do not install these ISOs. In fact, over the course of the week I will describe how to avoid the Creators Update, at least until it’s ready for prime time. No matter how you slice it, Creators Update isn’t ready for any PC that you rely on.

> MSFT has pulled the 15063 ISO download that was posted on Twitter.

> Many people have installed 15063 on their main PC with very few issues.

> Fact is 15063 is the most stable version of Windows ever. Sure you have the privacy crap, Cortana/edge and pre-installed apps, but most of that can be removed or turned off.

> Woody doesn't say when the ready for prime time version will be out.

Up next. Woody says the sky is falling and not to look up.

With apologies to William S.... a few lucky brave people doth not a safe update make.

But seriously, if Microsoft has actually improved update quality, that's a good thing for everyone. But it's still very early days, let's wait until MS start rolling out the CU and see how it affects the great unwashed masses before universally declaring it safe for all.

1 hour ago, virge said:

> Fact is 15063 is the most stable version of Windows ever.

Ummm... most stable Windows 10 version ever. Otherwise a billion or so users of earlier Windows versions would strongly disagree. :)

1 hour ago, virge said:

Up next. Woody says the sky is falling and not to look up.

Actually up next seems to be an article named The InfoWorld review: Windows 10 Creators Update is worth waiting for (AskWoody.com) Want to disagree with that? :P

Had installed from day one, been using as my main computer, never has a problem yet:wub:

try double-clicking the Windows Defender icon in the system tray (build 15063.0)--won't open, nothing happens:)..
if you'd right-click it -> then "open"--> it will work.
yes, a bug already acknowledged by MS.
(enterprise_x64)
"small" or not... - doesn't feel quite ready to me..:)..yes, there should be at least one CU before public launch (15063.xxx:rolleyes:).
The author is right, I think.

2 hours ago, Karlston said:

Ummm... most stable Windows 10 version ever. Otherwise a billion or so users of earlier Windows versions would strongly disagree. :)

Been using Windows since it came out one day 1, and yes, it is far more stable than anything Redmond has released in the past. It's scary to think that in 2017, many people are still limping along with everything from 95 to 8.1 and will most likely never switch. Human beings are creatures of habit and change is tough. With all the vulnerabilities online and offline, there is no way in hell I would keep using an operating system from years ago that isn't supported with proper security and updates. Had to help someone with a pc issue last week, the fellow was using XP SP3, he only uses it for web browsing and the occasional email, so in his case, a celeron pc with  2gb ram and a 40gb mechanical hd is hi-tech. Change comes slowly, it will come.

Conley Powell

Virge says, "With all the vulnerabilities online and offline, there is no way in hell I would keep using an operating system from years ago that isn't supported with proper security and updates." Sometimes this nonsense irritates me and sometimes it amuses me. I'm still using XP, and I'll continue using it until I see something better--which I strongly suspect will be never--and I've never had any malware problems whatsoever. Microsoft's later OSs give me not one thing of any value at all that XP doesn't. I don't need or want Microsoft's "support".

games dictate which os i will use. until there is an overwhelming need to have direct x 12. windows 8.1 will be my final stop. not because i hate change or lack the skills to upgrade, but rather windows 10 has nothing to offer me an in advantage to gaming. only a handful of games require dx12 and most of those i can play on the xbox1. security is a mindset. no os is more or less secure than the other. practice safe browsing and your risk of infection is nill. by using windows 10 i only enable microsoft that the changes made are something i wanted, which is not the case. there wasnt a need for windows 10, other to spy and collect advertising information to sell. its not a tin foil hat, its the truth. eventually i might upgrade but it will be because the games i want to play need it. but i dont see a push for that anytime soon.

4 hours ago, Conley Powell said:

I'm still using XP,

You got what  less than a year tell you can get no more browser updates form Firefox only way you keep getting them after v52 is use v52 ESR ,  I still have a windows 98 PC packed away and i remembered  one time before i had all  these PCs  my main machine  going out  and having to use it tell i got the parts in too fix it  and i was having to get apps from old apps  sites ,

Now days if you need too run old software in a new OS and newer hardware you can set up a VM with a PCI passthrough  and  apps and games will run just as fast as if you had Windows installed  a lot of people who Game on Linux are using this for Windows so they dont have to dual boot.

They can stay in Linux and use Windows Apps and Games very fast in a VM.  Its not all about security I dont believe the hype anymore about what Microsoft says about security and there updates millions of people have been using XP  since 2014  fine without Microsoft updates now and still I'm waiting to see that zombie virus outbreak on XP that still not came to past  it's all hype to sell windows .

It's about now if you stay on windows XP as you're main OS you want be able too  use new software and even update old software . I was not even happy with XP's performance  in 2010 once i  got a x64 OS  with a newer windows  I never went back to using XP. .

I stayed on Windows XP for almost 10 years i was one of the 1st users  of XP  back before it even had SP1  before SP2  it was not even very safe too use  because a lot of Virus was still around  Antivirus vendors  and good firewalls have wiped most out years ago . Only thing that still around now days mostly is Malware and  Ransomware . Nether is new just ransomware went dormant for a few years and came back  a few years ago . This could happen with computer virus too,  as people start thinking they dont need prevention  anymore ..

Only thing Windows updates  are good for is too plug holes for known exploits and most of the time it dont take very long for hackers to pull the band aid back off . Cracking software is the same way they find a weakness in the code  and if a vendor patches it then the cracker will reverse it again  it depends  if the vendor does a good job or not as how fast it gets cracked again  it could take a cracker a few minutes up too a few years but sooner or latter it will get cracked again. 

XP is a good reason why people should not trust Microsoft with there security  they are the ones who created  it with out any concern for you're security and it became so problematic that a lot of  3rd praty Firewalls and Anti malware of today was  created based on XP known weaknesses .

Before Sp2 came out XP users were stuck too protect themselves  with 3rd party apps and that's why it was not a big deal when SP3 stop getting updates . People on XP had to fend for themselves before. From 2001 -2004   users without a 3rd party firewall  got infected in like 20 Minutes .

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/19/infected_in20_minutes/

Still today more people get infected on Windows than any other platform  even Android witch  have almost as many users as windows but malware is becoming bad on that OS  platform too but Windows is the king of Malware infections still..But this generally don't happen to computer savvy people on Windows anymore. it's been many years since I been infected with anything  but it could happen so i never let my guard down.

I got a BSOD, it was "Critical Service Failed" . installed all drivers through Windows update. used Destroy Windows 10 spying on it. 

after few days past then Windows wouldn't boot at all. even the reset option and restore points failed. had reinstall it using ISO file. looking for the day one patch...

3 hours ago, DEFIANT said:

games dictate which os i will use. until there is an overwhelming need to have direct x 12. windows 8.1 will be my final stop. not because i hate change or lack the skills to upgrade, but rather windows 10 has nothing to offer me an in advantage to gaming. only a handful of games require dx12 and most of those i can play on the xbox1. security is a mindset. no os is more or less secure than the other. practice safe browsing and your risk of infection is nill. by using windows 10 i only enable microsoft that the changes made are something i wanted, which is not the case. there wasnt a need for windows 10, other to spy and collect advertising information to sell. its not a tin foil hat, its the truth. eventually i might upgrade but it will be because the games i want to play need it. but i dont see a push for that anytime soon.

Don't pay Ransom to Microsoft for Xbone live shit. they make you pay for the main game and then pay a monthly fee to play online, Seriously? not to mention the 10$ you need to pay for every time you need to change your name on their network. in a nutshell it's a piece of shit. PSN is the same. 

Steam is the best and has the Most users. why? because it's Free and full of Free games and you can change your name for Free and game developers get a lot higher share than other platforms, like Origin, battlenet etc when they publish their games on Steam for sale. you can play Windows games on Linux or Mac with Steam, Steam OS is based on Linux too. and you only pay for the game you buy and no monthly fee.

Conley Powell

Steven 36 says, "You got what  less than a year tell you can get no more browser updates form Firefox only way you keep getting them after v52 is use v52 ESR ,  I still have a windows 98 PC packed away and i remembered  one time before i had all  these PCs  my main machine  going out  and having to use it tell i got the parts in too fix it  and i was having to get apps from old apps  sites ,"

So what? Why should I care if the latest version of Pale Moon doesn't work under XP if the version I'm using is perfectly satisfactory to me? Perhaps a brand-new program that I just have to have and that doesn't work under XP will come along--but that hasn't happened yet.

Archived