Frequent Power Outage issue, HDD better or SSD?

karachidude

karachidude

hey mates,

Are SSD's more resilient then HDD's when it comes to power outage issue? i don't need space to store things just want this to be for my OS,even 120GB would do, the choice of SSD's and HDD's i have are in the links bellow, my last WD HDD gave me a lot of trouble, had to re install the OS almost each time there was a power outage, that's why i ask. I want something long lasting.

http://www.czone.com.pk/solid-state-drives-ssd-pakistan-ppt.263.aspx

http://www.czone.com.pk/hard-drives-pakistan-ppt.93.aspx

thanks

• Replies 11
  • Views 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With power cuts, they can be bad for both HDD & SSD - I had a number of power cuts in one day (unusual, first time in a year) and it ruined an OCZ SSD that was ~5 years old - still, I upgraded it to a new Samsung EVO 850 :) and put an image on that was done 30 mins earlier .

Cant say about SSDs but HDD's are better when coupled with UPS in such conditions ... speaking from my experiences and I've not a got a single HDD that gone flat even in those times !

you need to purchase a good UPS. fix the problem instead of fixing your computer all the time. As for your question a power outage is bad for either type of drive and it is also bad on other components in the system too. 

Use SSD Hard drive as there is NO moving parts what can come to a sudden stop and damage the drive

Some SSD's have capacitators inside.

When there's a power cut, the capacitators give power to the SSD components to write the data from the RAM buffer inside the SSD to the NAND.

So there no data loss after power outage.

But like other says in this thread, a UPS is the best protection against power problems.

karachidude

thanks mates for the info. , i will buy an SSD for now and then INSHA ALLAH soon will buy a UPS for the system!

Buy an HDD and then buy a UPS with the money left off.

Archived