Help with installation of GFWL (Games for Windows Live) on windows 10 !!!!

Mohenjo-daro

Mohenjo-daro

Can anybody help with installation process of installing games for windows live on Windows 10? I am trying to play an old Resident Evil Operation Racoon City PC game but not able to because it seems to require GFWL but I can't install it and if it does, then it doesn't install properly.

I have tried to manually uninstall and re-install and it shows installation complete but I am not sure if it is actually installed because I don't see any progress bar indication installation is in progress. The first message box says "Please wait while retrieving information" and immediately shows the next message that says "Microsoft games for Windows- Live is installed"..

gfwl.jpg

gfwl-.jpg

But when I click the Launch option, it gives me error.

gfwl-error.jpg

Can any guy help me with this problem?

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 – Reinstall Games for Windows Live

Uninstall Microsoft Games for Windows Live Redistributable and Microsoft Games for Windows Marketplace from your computer.

After you’ve uninstalled these applications restart your computer.

Download Games for Windows Live installer.

After you’ve downloaded the installer, right click it and choose Properties.

Go to Compatibility tab and check Run this program in compatibility mode for and choose Windows 7 or Windows 8 from the list.
While you’re in Compatibility tab make sure that you check Run as administrator.
Save the changes by clicking Apply and OK and install Games for Windows Live.
Everything should work now and your profile should be redownloaded and ready to use.

2 – Install Live Sign-in Assistant

If the previous solution doesn’t work try downloading the latest Live Sign-in Assistant from here. After downloading and installing Live Sign-in assistant enter your login details and try launching your games.

3 – Copy xlive, xlive.dll, xlive.dll.cat, xlivefnt.dll, xliveinstall.dll, xliveinstallhost.exe
files

Go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64. If you’re using 32-bit Windows this location might be different.    Find the xlive, xlive.dll, xlive.dll.cat, xlivefnt.dll, xliveinstall.dll, xliveinstallhost.exe files and copy them to C:\Windows\System32.

Try running the game again.

If this didn’t work, try copying those files in the installation directory of your game where game’s .exe file is located.

Mohenjo-daro
9 hours ago, WALLONN7 said:

1 – Reinstall Games for Windows Live

Uninstall Microsoft Games for Windows Live Redistributable and Microsoft Games for Windows Marketplace from your computer.

After you’ve uninstalled these applications restart your computer.

Download Games for Windows Live installer.

After you’ve downloaded the installer, right click it and choose Properties.

Go to Compatibility tab and check Run this program in compatibility mode for and choose Windows 7 or Windows 8 from the list.
While you’re in Compatibility tab make sure that you check Run as administrator.
Save the changes by clicking Apply and OK and install Games for Windows Live.
Everything should work now and your profile should be redownloaded and ready to use.

I did the above using compatibility settings for Windows 8 and 7 but it didn't work.

2 – Install Live Sign-in Assistant

If the previous solution doesn’t work try downloading the latest Live Sign-in Assistant from here. After downloading and installing Live Sign-in assistant enter your login details and try launching your games.

Didn't work.

3 – Copy xlive, xlive.dll, xlive.dll.cat, xlivefnt.dll, xliveinstall.dll, xliveinstallhost.exe
files

Go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64. If you’re using 32-bit Windows this location might be different.    Find the xlive, xlive.dll, xlive.dll.cat, xlivefnt.dll, xliveinstall.dll, xliveinstallhost.exe files and copy them to C:\Windows\System32.

Those files are already in C:\Windows\System32 . (I am using 32 bit system). xlive is a folder, right? I found other files and copied them to games.exe folder but it didn't work either. When I launch the game, it gives error, "failed to initialize games for windows live".

fatal error.jpg

7 hours ago, Mohenjo-daro said:

I did the above using compatibility settings for Windows 8 and 7 but it didn't work.

Didn't work.

Those files are already in C:\Windows\System32 . (I am using 32 bit system). xlive is a folder, right? I found other files and copied them to games.exe folder but it didn't work either. When I launch the game, it gives error, "failed to initialize games for windows live".

Fine... Let's try these:

1.  Here
  2.  This was helpful for some...
  3.  Post #6

Good luck and report back...

Mohenjo-daro

Fine... Let's try these:

1.  Here
  2.  This was helpful for some...
  3.  Post #6

Good luck and report back...

I have already read those articles and tried all suggestions but it wasn't working. Anyway thanks for trying to help. I have re-installed Windows 7 for sometimes so it's working now. Thanks.

Archived