Windows XP Has More Users than Windows Vista and Windows 8 Combined, Avast Says

vissha

Windows XP Has More Users than Windows Vista and Windows 8 Combined, Avast Says

windows-xp-has-more-users-than-windows-v

Avast provides Windows usage data in latest report

Security company Avast has published global Windows usage data as part of the PC Trends Report (PDF document) for the first quarter of 2017, revealing that Windows 7 continues to lead the market with a share that’s close to 50 percent.

While it’s important to note that these figures come from computers running Avast, they do align with the statistics provided by research firms whose main activity is monitoring operating system usage, so there’s a good chance these are accurate.

First and foremost, there’s leader Windows 7. According to Avast, the operating system launched in 2009 is currently powering more than 56 million computers where its antivirus product is installed, and this means a share of no less than 48.35 percent.

Windows 10 is growing, the security firm says, and it managed to reach a share of 30.46 percent, which accounts for a little over 35 million devices running Avast security software.

Windows XP still a super-popular choice

But what’s a little more worrying for everyone, including here Microsoft, users, and Avast itself, is that Windows XP, which was launched in 2001 and no longer receives security updates since April 2014, is still running on more than 6.5 million computers. This means that it has a share of 5.64 percent, more than Windows 8 (2.51 percent) and Windows Vista (2.08 percent) combined.

Windows 8 was launched in 2012 as Microsoft’s new revolution, but its small market share is mostly the result of most people choosing the free upgrade to Windows 8.1. The OS launched one year later has a share of 10.96 percent, which represents 12.7 million PCs running Avast.

For what it’s worth, Windows Vista is also reaching end of support next month, so users who are still running this OS, and there are at least 2 million according to Avast, should already start planning the upgrade. Windows 10 is the safest bet right now, as Windows 7 itself is also projected to reach EOL in January 2020.

Source

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what netmarketshare say too  but statcounter says different  , but  just because avast have the most users on xp than on these OS dont tell us very much .because more people use Windows Defender  than Avast . People on Windows 8.1 are more likely too not use Avast at all  because Windows Defender  is baked in.

original-c4c81f8d6fbe621baeac53b6e07489d

42 minutes ago, steven36 said:

... these [.] dont tell us very much ....

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics;)

Ive not used avast since 2014  i been using NOD32  every since  then  so Avast dont know what I was on when I used AVG and Norton Back in the early 2000s and  Kaspersky from 2007-2010  so the only thing they know is what OS i was on from 2010-2013  they only know what there users use and only people who really know how many people that uses what windows OS  is Microsoft and  there not going too  tell you nothing..  they wont even tell us how many upgrades to new versions of windows 10 . So all we can do is look at marketshare statistics and not go by numbers  but by the trend  over the years At statcounter that trend shows windows 8.1 being above XP along time even.

6 hours ago, vissha said:

For what it’s worth, Windows Vista is also reaching end of support next month, so users who are still running this OS, and there are at least 2 million according to Avast, should already start planning the upgrade. Windows 10 is the safest bet right now, as Windows 7 itself is also projected to reach EOL in January 2020.

This appreciation is not completely realistic. The real and best choice of Vista users is Windows 7, Actually, most if no all Vista computers are 100% Windows 7 compatible; all Vista hardware and peripherics have Windows 7 drivers; memory and CPU requirements are about the same.

Vista users should feel themselves quite familiar with Windows 7. And I bet that January 2020 will not be EOL for Windows 7 just as April 2015 was not for Windows XP

Only referring to 8 anyway.. most have updated to 8.1.. what a pointless article. Oh look, more people are using this outdated OS than the next two outdated OSes afterwards.

FANNNNFUCKINGTASTIC.

I will continue to use XP until Microsoft makes something better, which is clearly never going to happen in my eyes.

I have a windows XP PC here I use it as a stand  For my  Dell Mini Tower with Windows 10 and Linux Mint  on it .:P   They was nothing wrong with windows 8.1 unless  you're too dumb too know how too change  a setting too boot up on desktop  and too install a free 3rd party start menu . On windows 10 i  have too do way  more things to get it like I want it than I did  on Windows 8.1.  I got so use too it really i didn't need a stat menu  i just installed one because i was use too having it on older OS.

Windows vista problem  was it had compatibly issues with people who try too use it on hardware made for XP  and Devs didn't make software for it yet so i stayed on XP   But  I used  Vista for like  2 weeks after SP2  came out  while waiting on my free Windows 7 upgrade from Microsoft trough snail mail all compatibly issues were gone everything worked and the PC was made for Vista and newer .

See Vista never had a chance.  by the time they got it working real good Windows 7 was already out with a new set of bugs that didn't get fixed tell sp1  . :)

1 hour ago, steven36 said:

They was nothing wrong with windows 8.1 unless  you're too dumb too know how too change  a setting too boot up on desktop  and too install a free 3rd party start menu

Windows 8.1 automatically boots to desktop or tablet as appropriate. No setting changes required. Unless of course, you prefer tablet mode on desktops or vice versa. :)

A third-party Start Menu though is needed to exterminate the ugly tile crap in the native Start Menu. They're not all free, I use Stardock's Start8.

11 hours ago, Karlston said:

Windows 8.1 automatically boots to desktop or tablet as appropriate. No setting changes required. Unless of course, you prefer tablet mode on desktops or vice versa. :)

A third-party Start Menu though is needed to exterminate the ugly tile crap in the native Start Menu. They're not all free, I use Stardock's Start8.

I think they added this in a update it was not always like this google  Windows 8.1 boot to desktop you will see a bunch of tuts on how to do it . By the time those updates came out i all ready had mine fixed to boot too desktop along time. I always used classic shell witch is free you didn't have to have use a  paid version or use a crack unless you wanted too .

Report: Update for Windows 8.1 will enable boot to desktop as default

http://www.windowscentral.com/report-update-windows-81-will-enable-boot-desktop-default

I used before you i guess I got it right after  windows 8.1 came out in 2013 they had 3 updates that added new features windows 8.1 update 1-3  update 3 was they told everyone they was going too add the start menu too it and didn't ..Instead they pushed Windows 10 out too fast  it was meant too be released in the fall of  2015 and they pushed it out in July 2015. And Windows 8.1 never got any more new features since  they give 5 years extended support but they only gave you like 2 years of it. so it's a unfinished project that never got everything they said . Windows 7 didn't get everything they promised ether .

After windows 10 came out i tired it for awhile  but I switched too using Linux mostly then I bought a new PC  with Windows 8.1 free upgrade to Windows 10 it booted too desktop out of the box  , But now  both my PCs have Linux and Windows 10  were i can boot in ether easy  Ive not used windows 8.1 at all in almost a year now. I still have some PCs with windows 7 on them though.. I really never use them other than too do updates because I mostly use one PC at a time . . . :)

I dont like using legacy OS really since back  when I stayed on Windows XP for almost 10 years . I use the newest my hardware will allow me too be it Linux or Windows . Linux you can keep the same OS for 5 years . I keep Linux Mint 17.3 on  my Gateway AMD not because I want too it's because there's no working display drivers for Linux mint 18 x or new versions of Ubuntu for my hardware. But I also keep a bleeding edge distro on it that supports it Manjaro Cinnamon witch have all the latest bells and whistles . :)

Windows 8.1 is Windows 10 sister because of the Windows 8.1 Universal and Windows 10 UWP, The biggest fiction Microsoft wrote was a PC that use a Internet based platform like this is more safe  the more a computer calls home the more unsafe they are . The thing i didn't like about Windows 8.1 is there was no way  to remove the store because this is were they store the registration . On windows 10 it allows you too remove the store with power shell . Windows 8.1 is a  advertising platform too  . Because they advertise modern apps in the store . Windows 10  a  advertising platform on steroids unless you set it up not too be, Even if there was no way to turn ads off in windows 10 witch there is if it didn't it would be DOA and nobody would use it . Because everybody hates ads you can see. But  any of them ads can be blocked in a firewall as well if you are a advanced Firewall user .

I remove  all those modern apps and the store and use a firewall to block the other stuff that calls home . It has a digital license  it will register always as long you dont make a major hardware change unlike windows 7 and 8.1 . They say if you buy a windows 10 license though you will be eligible for all future  versions of windows unlike other os before but i dont know how true this is. Witch If i made a hardware change and Windows  didn't work it would just make me mad and drive me over the edge were i would just use Linux . :P

16 hours ago, steven36 said:

Windows 8.1 is Windows 10 sister

Windows 10's much stabler, mature, and easily controlled sister, that is. :)

53 minutes ago, Karlston said:

Windows 10's much stabler, mature, and easily controlled sister, that is. :)

While the other is the evil twin sister possessed by the devil!!! :lmao:

Conley Powell

I strongly agree with banned. Admittedly, a Microsoft OS without Microsoft "support" is a bit like a submarine without a screen door, but I've managed to struggle along so far. By the way, I'm still waiting for the assault of the hacker hordes that was supposed to occur immediately after the end of Microsoft "support".

I use three--count them, three--programs the latest versions of which don't work with XP, but the versions that do work are perfectly satisfactory.

I strongly agree with banned. Admittedly, a Microsoft OS without Microsoft "support" is a bit like a submarine without a screen door, but I've managed to struggle along so far.

You are not alone. There is still a great majority (5.64% according to Avast) using it. For the near future they are not planning to change. At least that is what I read so far.

Archived