cannot change network adaptor settings, unexpected error

wozzzzza

I need to change IP address in my network adaptor but cant, what's going on?? just comes up unexpected error when ever I try and goto properties of it
I have been to MS website to try a few things there, nothing, uninstalled the network driver and reinstalled and same, nothing.
anyone know how to fix this?? windows 10 pro 64 bit.

network.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go to device manager and uninstall you network adapter.  Then scan for hardware changes and allow the network adaptor to re-install.  This should allow you to view status and make changes to your adaptor now.  It was still really buggy and it took me several attempts to change to a static ip address.  Information that I would add did not stay saved.  I had to re-enter information several times, but finally it was saved.

Reference :

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_web/an-unexpected-error-occured-when-i-try-to-open/4b2226ba-c243-402c-a9e7-152b44091ee8

Also try this solution :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/824923/error-message-when-you-open-the-properties-of-a-network-connection-an-unexpected-error-occurred

1. If troubleshoot not help, is Windows damaged, repair or improve it at first.
  2. Weird place to change IP(?), or I'm fully demented.

14 minutes ago, Kalju said:
  1. Weird place to change IP(?), or I'm fully demented.

I always change IP's in the properties of the network adaptor there, where do you change it? from the command line?? that's what I had to do as I cant access network properties.

OrbingStorm

have you tried this?

This problem may occur if some registry settings are damaged. The damaged registry settings may prevent you from viewing the properties of the network connection in the Network Connections folder.

Workaround

To work around this problem, reregister the Netshell.dll file. To do so, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. In the Open box, type regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\netshell.dll, and then click OK.
  3. In the RegSvr32 dialog box, click OK.
Test to see if you can open the properties of the network connection in the Network Connections folder.

If the issue is resolved, you do not have to follow the remaining steps in this article. If the issue persists, and you receive the error message that is mentioned in the “Symptoms” section of this article, follow these steps:
  2. In the Open box, type regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\ole32.dll, and then click OK.
  4. Restart the computer.

11 hours ago, Kalju said:

OK, what the troubleshoot does?

trouble shooter doesn't identify any problems.

3 hours ago, OrbingStorm said:

have you tried this?

This problem may occur if some registry settings are damaged. The damaged registry settings may prevent you from viewing the properties of the network connection in the Network Connections folder.

Workaround

To work around this problem, reregister the Netshell.dll file. To do so, follow these steps:
  2. In the Open box, type regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\netshell.dll, and then click OK.
Test to see if you can open the properties of the network connection in the Network Connections folder.

If the issue is resolved, you do not have to follow the remaining steps in this article. If the issue persists, and you receive the error message that is mentioned in the “Symptoms” section of this article, follow these steps:
  2. In the Open box, type regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\ole32.dll, and then click OK.
  4. Restart the computer.

yes tried this unsuccessfully

• Administrator

Try checking the logs, might give some more information about it.

@wozzzzza is this happening first time with you ?

Can you just elaborate the error circumstances  , i mean what was the cause!

What you did and this happened !

OS Change , Software install related to networking , system migration ? any thing that might help us !

Because some time the error roots are not there where we look normally !

Archived