The Honeycombs and Honey Lantree, the female rock'n'roll drummer

luisam

The Honeycombs were a British-invasion era band and reached Nº 5 on the US charts in 1964 with the song "Have I the Right"

The unique about this band was that it had a female drummer. Anne Margot Lantree, better known as Honey Lantree, was notable as one of the few female drummers to come out of the British Invasion. Additionally, as the featured member of the Honeycombs, she was probably the best known woman drummer in rock 'n' roll of the 1960s, at least in England. Honey Lantree was not just a visual novelty with her then-fashionable beehive hairdo; she actually could play well, and wasn't a bad singer when called upon in that capacity. The fact that she looked great also helped the band's fortunes immeasurably, and her visual attributes were no accident, either, She was working in a London hair salon managed by Martin Murray when the latter decided in 1963 to form a rock & roll group: The Honeycombs.

Lantree was, by some accounts, one of the inspirations for a young Karen Carpenter to take up the drums, but that was as far as her influence seemingly went. Honey's brother, John, was also one of the forming members of the original five-piece band.

The band was performing around the club scene when songwriters Ken Howard and Alan Blaikley heard them and arranged a meeting with producer Joe Meek. Howard and Blaikley composed "Have I the Right" and also began managing the group. Joe Meek used unusual microphone techniques such as recording the band stomping their feet and speeding up the final mix. Their debut single, "Have I the Right", fared well on the charts in several countries. They released follow-up singles that failed to equal the success of "Have I the Right" and after they faded out, they split up in 1967, following Meek's suicide early that year.

The band has occasionally reformed, with Honey being a constant member. See her in this video from 2014 where they were playing, reunited; you can listen her drum solo at 7.06 mins, a quite nice feature of the old lady, then 70 years old.

• Replies 2
  • Views 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aah, another trip down memory lane!! I remember this song and the group with the female drummer...as I said on a previous post, those were the days of catchy songs.that everyone from the milkman, the postman, schoolkids and grownups were singing and whistling. I haven't heard a single milkman or postman singing any Acid House hits!!! The times they are a changing!!!:D:D:D

9 hours ago, funkyy said:

Aah, another trip down memory lane!! I remember this song and the group with the female drummer...as I said on a previous post, those were the days of catchy songs.that everyone from the milkman, the postman, schoolkids and grownups were singing and whistling. I haven't heard a single milkman or postman singing any Acid House hits!!! The times they are a changing!!!:D:D:D

Defiitively we don't live in La La Land! And milkmen and postmen are also on trip down memory lane! Actually, there are no milkmen any more and haven't seen a single postman long time ago! I do all my communications through smartphone, emailing, texting, WhatsApp, facebook etc. Important documents come through DHL or FedEx...

Archived