svchost.exe is flooding my bandwidth

rudrax

I am running win 10 pro x64 in my laptop. I felt my internet connection is slowing down. So I opened tcpview app from Microsoft's sysinternal suit. I found there that the process svchost is flooding the bandwidth all over.

I have applied blackbird to my system.

Restricted the windows update through group policy.

Disabled the BITS service. 

I have also WFC installed which is configured to block all unnecessary native and 3rd party apps from accessing the web.

Edge is uninstalled and IE is blocked though firewall. 

So what's sneaking out to sniff some dirty p@anties? It have to be some Microsoft core file, I guess. Damn that perv! ?

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe you have malware on your PC or laptop and this malware burden on your connection and the gun with him Oddities 

download HijackThis
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/files/latest/download 
1.on system disk you create a folder Hijackthis, put the downloaded file in this folder
2.Run HijackThis program window and click on Do a system scan and save a logfile and wait ...
3. After a while it pops up Notepad dump HJT. This extract copy and post here or send me via private massage

7 hours ago, rudrax said:

I am running win 10 pro x64 in my laptop. I felt my internet connection is slowing down. So I opened tcpview app from Microsoft's sysinternal suit. I found there that the process svchost is flooding the bandwidth all over.

I have applied blackbird to my system.

Restricted the windows update through group policy.

Disabled the BITS service. 

I have also WFC installed which is configured to block all unnecessary native and 3rd party apps from accessing the web.

Edge is uninstalled and IE is blocked though firewall. 

So what's sneaking out to sniff some dirty p@anties? It have to be some Microsoft core file, I guess. Damn that perv! ?

Hi Rudax,

Even my office PC and personal laptop all Windows 10 x64 seem to be having this issue today itself.

are you having this issue particularly today or before?

• Administrator

Happened a few days ago here. Somehow it happened when I was on a limited connection. Is not noticeable when on unlimited connection.

Just to be sure. Let me tell you that this problem is not limited to just this OS mentioned here.

15 hours ago, espns said:

Hi Rudax,

Even my office PC and personal laptop all Windows 10 x64 seem to be having this issue today itself.

are you having this issue particularly today or before?

This doesn't happen all the time. When I connect to the web and open the TCPView app to monitor the connections, I see multiple svchost processes are connected to the web and using the bandwidth. This continues upto a time period around half an hour and those svchost processes gets terminated by themselves. Then after sometime, they again pops up and starts using the bandwidth again.

I doubt, this is some kind of scheduled task run by windows.

10 hours ago, DKT27 said:

Happened a few days ago here. Somehow it happened when I was on a limited connection. Is not noticeable when on unlimited connection.

Just to be sure. Let me tell you that this problem is not limited to just this OS mentioned here.

Yeah but with older windows it was possible to stop svchost process from using the bandwidth by turning off the BITS service (of course, some other obvious services and processes needed to be blocked or turned off). But in windows 10,  disabling the BITS service not helping. 

change DNS to google dns 8.8.8.8(primary) and  8.8.4.4(secondary), go to wfc and svchost.exe rule, i the rule change the allowed remote IP address to two google DNS servers only. you will be able to browse the net and net on other apps and programs but not utilise some MS services and system process like windows update if you do this. when you want to update, just  remove this Ips and allow full access to svchost process. 

is good till you find out what is messing.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody found a work way around. I was experiencing this on Win 10 again all over limited connections

7 hours ago, espns said:

Anybody found a work way around. I was experiencing this on Win 10 again all over limited connections

Turn off Windows Update service as a temporary measure.

Archived