Nothing in CIA dump threatens up-to-date iPhones

tao

Well-known iPhone hacker says nothing in CIA dump threatens up-to-date iPhones

Of all the mobile devices featured in the alleged CIA documentation dump released by Wikileaks earlier this week, the iPhone is mentioned the most. Pages upon pages of research and exploits related to Apple’s smartphone are now in the hands of anyone with an internet connection. It might seem like a reason to panic, and plenty of people are already doing just that, but according to one of the most well-respected iPhone hackers on the planet, nothing in the collection of information should pose any threat to an up-to-date iPhone.

Will Strafach is the CEO of Verify.ly, a software security firm specializing in mobile devices. He also used to be one of the most famous iOS jailbreakers around, and his opinion on mobile security exploits is one of the very few that you should actually care about. He’s taken a look at the CIA documents related to the iPhone, and doesn’t see anything to worry about — assuming you’re running the latest firmware.

I have found nothing in the dump which an attacker could use to hack an iOS device on latest firmware (and older firmwares have public JBs) https://t.co/gnWDRX8tOz

— Will Strafach (@chronic) March 8, 2017

“The one thing I was at least able to definitively clear up is this: the leak contains nothing which an attacker could download and use to hack an up-to-date mobile phone (iOS),” Strafach told us. “Android experts have said the same regarding android devices on the latest firmware as well, which is interesting as it demonstrates that Android (again, on latest firmware) can be decently secure just like iOS.”

So what about the people claiming the information included in the leak is of dire security concern to everyone with an iOS device? “The best you can do is to ask anyone who claims danger within this leak to go ahead and prove it,” Strafach says. “I guarantee you that if you ask someone to download this leak and try to use the information in it to hack your phone, they would fail.”

The seasoned security expert also wants to clear up some misconceptions about the government potentially keeping vulnerabilities secret rather than reporting them. “Some imply keeping a vulnerability private will make users unsafe,” Strafach explains. “This is an ethical debate rather than a technical one and is up to opinion, but what I can at least say is that the practice is also prevalent among experienced security researchers who need to maintain access to future revisions of an OS in order to continued their research to find new vulnerabilities, which they may either disclose or submit to a bug bounty, or create a jailbreak tool for, etc.”

“While I agree that it can be healthy sometimes to question government and call out actual abuse, in this situation, it is more about having a level playing field and I do not believe there is an ethical issue here,” Strafach says.

[Enjoy your iPhone!  :)]

• Replies 4
  • Views 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No but  the FBI paid a hacker a million dollars to unlock one  so no telling what the CIA and NSA has . Expecting privacy on a phone is crazy ..If you go to a privacy based forum and ask how to keep you're privacy on a smartphone   they will say dont use a smartphone for stater lol. Privacy rule number #1 never trust no one or nothing man made.

The EU dont even trust the USA with it's data in the cloud and you think we should trust a phone made by apple ?

11 hours ago, steven36 said:

... Privacy rule number #1 never trust no one or nothing man made...

Of course! 

But then can't trust mother, father, husband, wife, son .... and our own bodies.  And life as we know it can't be lived.

Such is our lives:  iPhones, iNet, ... and all i's including I.  ;)

Trust is an integral part of living!  :)

Enjoy warts and all!

(Where there is beauty, there is ugliness.
When something is right, Something else is wrong. ...

~ Ryokan). 

1 hour ago, adi said:

Of course! 

But then can't trust mother, father, husband, wife, son .... and our own bodies.  And life as we know it can't be lived.

Such is our lives:  iPhones, iNet, ... and all i's including I.  ;)

Trust is an integral part of living!  :)

Enjoy warts and all!

(Where there is beauty, there is ugliness.
When something is right, Something else is wrong. ...

~ Ryokan). 

Why should you trust people you dont know in real life ? I've lived long enough to know and I can tell you it dont pay to trust people you do know even  as soon as  you do something too make them angry you had it because they know enough about you too mess you up. . Law enforcement have stuff were they listen in on phones all the time and Apple you cant trust them ether with there AI on there phones trying collect  everything you do . Almost everything on the internet is collecting you're data  24/7  .People trusting people and companies they dont know is what has caused this . If someone was to say can we stick a camera and a mic in you're home and watch everything you do would you be OK with it? Even if I'm out in public if I see someone I dont like because they nosy or what ever i go out of my way to avoid  them and I dont trust everyone I know in real life ether.

35 minutes ago, steven36 said:

Why should you trust people you dont know in real life? I've lived long enough to know and I can tell you it dont pay to trust people you do know even  as soon as  you do something too make them angry you had it because they know enough about you too mess you up... If someone was to say can we stick a camera and a mic in you're home and watch everything you do would you be OK with it?...

Right you are,  Steven36!

But:

You go to an ER (or Hospital) and you have no no choice but to trust people you don't know (in real life).  ;)

Yes, people get angry and mess you up if you say anything they don't like or unexpected (i.e, unpredictable).  :sadwalk:

You are not in control (sadly) what may happen even in your own home in this information age.  :(

In jest:

As much privacy or security as in the stone (cave) age, eh?  ;)

Archived