Data Backup Methods

UpGrade

I was wondering whats is classed as the best way to back up data? I usually have a backup HD which i copy to multiple BluRay disks then make a backup disk of the backups, every few months but this is time consuming when i started doing this optical disks were the safest form of media, is there a better way now? is there another medium that doesn't snt ever fail like a hd? I dont want to use cloud backups i have about 5 tb of data to backup each month so what is the best way? 

• Replies 4
  • Views 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 06/03/2017 at 11:42 PM, UpGrade said:

I was wondering whats is classed as the best way to back up data? I usually have a backup HD which i copy to multiple BluRay disks then make a backup disk of the backups, every few months but this is time consuming when i started doing this optical disks were the safest form of media, is there a better way now? is there another medium that doesn't snt ever fail like a hd? I dont want to use cloud backups i have about 5 tb of data to backup each month so what is the best way? 

For cost vs capacity hard drives are much better than optical media.    I used to backup all data onto DVD's and HDD's a few years ago but in recent years I've just been storing remotely on servers or just streaming from other sources.  I am however starting to make local backups again now and have recently just fucked up one of my 5TB drives and lost a shitload of rare UK tv shows/docs so a bit gutted.

I'm now looking at setting up some sort of network raid setup combined with backup up rarest stuff to double layer BD discs for archiving.

• In the cloud we know what happens to the managers or storages in the cloud from one moment to another fall and the loss of data is fatal. I do not have as many files that occupy at least 3TB but I do the backups on hard disks and the DVD (dvd + r: for office documents and photos)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived