WiFi download speed question

info999

When I download a 2 GB mkv movie from my Google Drive on my S4 phone using ADM, I can get up to 3 or 4 MB (megabyte)/s download rate

But on my laptop using IDM, I can get max 1 MB/s.

Both are using the same WiFi hotspot.

Question: is IDM less powerful than ADM ? or is my laptop WiFi adapter slower than my S4 WiFi adapter ?

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, info999 said:

Laptop WiFi adapter slower than my S4 WiFi adapter

Probably the above... But it would be interesting to pass us the laptop model or the wifi device...

And the download time on S4 is equivalent to the download speed mentioned by the app?! I mean, IDM would take three times longer to complete the download... Is that correct?!

Israeli_Eagle

WiFi itself is always only luck and often shitty. Of course WiFi is never shielded, coz it's a reason that the world created CAT7 cables. :coolwink:

Plus there are OS settings, router settings etc... And also some physical differences: Some devices have less hardware around (S4), some more (laptop). Because of that a full Desktop PC uses (if WiFi is needed at all) antenna outside of the shielded case.

Excellent answers on the part of the companions ..
Do not omit the possibility that if you are downloading from the pc and you use windows 10. It is likely that this bandwidth consuming operating system .. we have heard of telemetry and other plugins that we must also disable so we do not consume the internet although Is little but it consumes it and that may be the detail in your case .. IDM has most been very veridico very effective in the matter of downloads has worked and even has worked. On the other hand also take into account that the wifi receiver of the ordenator is a little old or has little reception .. for my part would be my answer. Good luck.
(Hint: connect your computer directly to the modem or do a speed test to get it right).

21 hours ago, info999 said:

When I download a 2 GB mkv movie from my Google Drive on my S4 phone using ADM, I can get up to 3 or 4 MB (megabyte)/s download rate

But on my laptop using IDM, I can get max 1 MB/s.

Both are using the same WiFi hotspot.

Try using TCP Optimizer.

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

If that does not improve the connection, I'd go with MCart3r's suggestion and use an ethernet cable to the modem.

• Administrator

From what I know, unlike mobiles of those times, laptops comes with multiple antennas and can avail more WiFi speed if the router too comes with more than one antennas. Meaning, your laptop, unless it's having some problems utilizing the speed, like slow HDD or CPU speed, is likely to be more faster than your mobile.

I must mention ADM seems quite good in what it is doing, but who knows ADM might be showing incorrect information. The reason I say it might be giving incorrect information is that some other bandwidth monitoring apps I have tried on Android do seem to be doing so.

On 4/3/2017 at 7:18 PM, Israeli_Eagle said:

coz it's a reason that the world created CAT7 cables. :coolwink:

I did not know they were available so easily already. Nice to see that.

@all it's an old laptop aspire 4570 i3, may be that's why, BUT I just got myself a new i7 gaming laptop B), I will update you as soon as I am done with all the installation.

And I am sure ADM download rate is correct, took less than 10 minutes to download 2 GB

Archived