New Xbox has chance to be No. 1

D0GG

The next generation of Microsoft's Xbox gaming console, due later this month, will give the world's largest software maker a chance to overtake gaming business leader Sony, Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates asserted on Monday.

"Our goal in the last generation was to be in the game," Gates told reporters. "We came out of this round a strong No. 2."

Speaking at a meeting of the Society of American Business Editors and Writers, Gates said that the newest version of the Xbox, code-named Xenon, would have features that will make the device a more versatile tool for games, music, video and pictures in the living room.

Gates also emphasized that Xenon will take advantage of the growing availability of televisions and content in high-definition format, which allows clearer pictures to be displayed on large, wide screens.

Microsoft is planning release details of its next generation Xbox on May 12 in an MTV special, ahead of a key gaming conference later this month where Sony is also expected to talk about its successor to the PlayStation 2, its current generation console and market leader.

"What we've got in this (next round), at some significant financial cost, was the right to play again with great credibility," Gates said. "So now people are looking at the two companies at a pretty much equal basis."

Asked if Microsoft would be able to beat Sony with Xenon, Gates said that several top employees involved with Xenon had promised Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer that Xenon would beat Sony and that he welcomed that "competitive dynamic."

Redmond, Wash.-based Microsoft jumped into the gaming console business in 2001 with the Xbox, spending more than $2 billion to develop and market the machine, which it expects to become a major source of profit and revenue.

Source

• Replies 7
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm waiting for the next nintendo system myself. mofo has a 2.6GHz CPU :mellow:

i'm really ganna wait for all 3 systems to come out, tho, then compare. i aint rich, so the option of buying all 3 of em is out the window :D

i'm waiting for the next nintendo system myself. mofo has a 2.6GHz CPU :mellow:

i'm really ganna wait for all 3 systems to come out, tho, then compare. i aint rich, so the option of buying all 3 of em is out the window :D

try used gaming shops or pawn shops a week or two after one of the consoles comes out. one i shop at here had a used PSP less then a week after it was released.

one i shop at here had a used PSP less then a week after it was released.

*some kid must have really needed money for his drugs... :mellow:*

All the pawn shops around here are a RIP OFF for electornics. One of the shops wanted $135 for a used xbox with one contoller and cables!!!

*some kid must have really needed money for his drugs...  :mellow:*

All the pawn shops around here are a RIP OFF for electornics. One of the shops wanted $135 for a used xbox with one contoller and cables!!!

that sucks. i got this one game shop i go too you can get xbox-ps2 for $99 and a cube for $49-69

they had a psp for $200 used 3 days old

i pickup the xbox $59 doom 3 for $30.

most pawm shops suck though. i miss the one we had here that kick azz. guy got out of it so he could golf more.

dont bye dvd players in pawn shops. they all got burned for taking them and now cant get rid of them.

Rudeboy2025

New Xbox is going to be called Xbox 360.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000760030410/

Based on pictures and purported eyewitness accounts that made the rounds of the Internet over the weekend, the console will be known as "Xbox 360." Microsoft would not confirm any of the information circulating on the Web, saying "everything you are reading about at this point is buzz and speculation."

The console is mostly white and designed to stand on one end, will feature a wireless controller and also a remote control that appears to handle multimedia functions like audio and video playback, according to various online forums that track consumer technologies. The console's power button has "skins," customizable appearances that can apparently be added by the user. Other peripheral devices that appeared in some of the shots include a headset and a kind of Web camera. The pictures first appeared prominently on the tech Web site Engadget.com.

On Monday afternoon, gaming and technology Web sites including TeamXbox.com, GamingHorizon.com and Engadget began to publish identical-looking lists with detailed technical specifications for the console. Among those details were a detachable 20 gigabyte hard drive, support for wireless networking, three 3.2 gigahertz central processors, surround sound and universal support for high-definition video. The sites also said there would be two tiers of the Xbox Live online gaming service, one free and one with a subscription that would offer enhanced matchmaking and customization features.

Source: Yahoo

I Bet that Sony's new Playstation with its "Cell" processor would be much better than the XBox when it comes out....

I think it is scheduled to be released late this year....

And by that time XBox would have sold quite a few of their product....

XBox certainly has a headstart......

Archived