Asmedia ASM-104x/107x Drivers Version 1.16.44.1 issue. Need help please.

fccard

Hello there,
Sorry if I'm posting this on a wrong place and also my poor English (not my main language).

I already posted similar subject on Station-Drivers site, place where I usually go to get new drivers for my PC, and I'm still looking for help.
So I'm having a issue recently with the last 3 Asmedia ASM-104x/107x drivers currently available. The problem is that they won't work correctly for me. Their versions are: v1.16.42.1, v1.16.43.1 and the newest v1.16.44.1. The only working drivers are the ones prior those, as the v1.16.41.3, which is the one installed - and working - at this moment.
They install fine and "Device Manager" says they are Ok but nothing connected to those USB ports will work (pendrivers, headsets, joysticks, etc). I'm on Win10Pro x64 1607 14393.726 (latest version) and my motherboard is Asus Maximus V Gene Z77. If I'm not wrong, the Asmedia chip present on my motherboard is a ASM-1042A for USB 3.0.
I noticed someone else complaining about same issue on S-D site and they asked him if he had the latest firmware installed, that could be the reason for the problem. I remember that I had my firmware upgraded once long time ago (over 2 years). I don't remember which exactly version was that. On their site, there's a newer firmware available - 131025_10_11_23 - and I really would like to hear from you guys if that is 100% compatible with my system or not even when it says it's from HP. This morning I tried to run it, so I clicked yes for the license agreement, then it started to scan and this message appeared: "Warning. The 1th Host ChipType is not suitable firmware you want to continue going?" OK or Cancel. So I clicked cancel and it asked for reboot. Maybe the firmware is not compatible with my motherboard? Should I click OK instead? I'm very worried installing firmware because if it's an incompatible one, that means rip USB ports and I really can't afford that...

So, any suggestions/recommendations, please? Do you guys think that upgrading the firmware will allow me to install the latest drivers correctly? Any idea where I can get the "right" firmware file for my Asmedia ASM-1042A USB 3.0 chip?

Any help will be very appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, fccard said:

Their versions are: v1.16.42.1, v1.16.43.1 and the newest v1.16.44.1. The only working drivers are the ones prior those, as the v1.16.41.3, which is the one installed - and working - at this moment.

The newest drivers are not necessarily the best and sometimes they will not work with older hardware or hardware that was modified for a certain motherboard maker.  I have run into literally thousands of these problems over the years and finally learned that the best drivers are the ones that you get from your motherboard or computer maker's website.  Even though they may be several years old they have been tested to work with your particular hardware.  I experimented with driver updaters  and they worked fine at first until the updated drivers would no longer work with my systems, and actually trashed a couple of them so completely they had to be reinstalled..  Now I only use those available from the manufacturer of the hardware.

1 hour ago, fccard said:

On their site, there's a newer firmware available - 131025_10_11_23 - and I really would like to hear from you guys if that is 100% compatible with my system or not even when it says it's from HP. This morning I tried to run it, so I clicked yes for the license agreement, then it started to scan and this message appeared: "Warning. The 1th Host ChipType is not suitable firmware you want to continue going?" OK or Cancel. So I clicked cancel and it asked for reboot. Maybe the firmware is not compatible with my motherboard? Should I click OK instead? I'm very worried installing firmware because if it's an incompatible one, that means rip USB ports and I really can't afford that

Was just reading about your firmware problem, here is a discussion about the "last" firmware for the 1042A Asmedia 3.0 chip.

http://www.win-raid.com/t2425f44-ASUS-CrossHair-V-Formula-Z-MOD-bios.html#msg33031

1 hour ago, fccard said:

Thank you friends for the help.

So after some long reading here and there I did some tests and the results are:
My Asmedia chip is ASM-1042 and not ASM-1042A as I wrote above. I checked the number on the chip itself with the help of strong light and magnifying glasses and it says ASM1042.
I found a firmware 130125_00_02_00 on win-raid site and gave it a try. Using the /d command I noticed that I had a 100803_00_00_0d installed on my Asus Maximum V Gene and I made a copy of it using the /a command. I finally used the /u command to upgrade it and at the end I got a success installation complete message.
Back to Windows I opened Device Manager and my HW ID is now:

PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_1042&SUBSYS_84881043&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_1042&SUBSYS_84881043
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_1042&CC_0C0330
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_1042&CC_0C03

I did plug some pendrivers and headset, looks like it still works fine. So I guess the FW upgrade process was Ok.
Now the drivers, the reason why I made this post looking for help.
After the FW upgrade, my plugged devices on that Asmedia ports was working with driver version 1.16.41.3.
Unfortunately, for the last 3 drivers available at this moment - v1.16.42.1, v1.16.43.1 and the newest v1.16.44.1 - the ports still don't work just like I explained before.
So maybe Asmedia recently decided to stop releasing new drivers for that ASM-1042 chip? Or maybe it's just a bug on those last 3 drivers?
Again, thanks in advance.

Archived