any way to convert a simple video file in HD One?

Karamjit

i have a video 720p HD i want to make it more "HD". Any idea how to convert it into higher HD (1080p or more)?

• Replies 8
  • Views 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The simple Answer is NOUpscaling will not add any new data to a file to make it more HD...

It is a waste of time and the results will be disappointing 

use Handbrake or Freemake video converter

as teodz1984 says it is a waste of time

• Administrator

Agreed. Will not work. The details will remain the same and has no use doing so. You need to find the original video made in full quality out there.

1 hour ago, DKT27 said:

Agreed. Will not work. The details will remain the same and has no use doing so...

Like the color of the skin one is born with.  No use messing with it, eh?  ;)

8 hours ago, Karamjit Lal said:

i have a video 720p HD i want to make it more "HD". Any idea how to convert it into higher HD (1080p or more)?

It's like re-encoding a 96 kb/s mp3 to 320 kb/s. You get a much larger file, but lose even more content (details).

Can be done, but a waste of time/space and CPU...

8 hours ago, Karamjit Lal said:

you can try Video Enhancer, the result is not the same like a real HD but OK

Short answer: Don't do it (unless you really have to).

The process you are looking for is called "upscaling". In its simplest form, every pixel in the video will be (almost) doubled or stretched and the resulting video will look like 1080p. The problem with this approach is that it doesn't look any different from a full screen option in any normal video player.

What you can do:

So if you take a video and upscale it with a very basic algorithm, and then re-encode it, the quality will be worse than before. You will always lose a certain amount of quality when you take an already encoded video and encode it again. Even if you upscale it and encode it with a lossless encoder, this will result in huge files – but in no noticeable difference from the full screen version.

Naturally, how a player displays a full screen version also influences your experienced quality. If the player is bad, then upscaling the video before you play it is a viable option. Of course, there are more approaches to upscaling. You can use bilinear or bicubic filters to smooth out edges and then apply some grain or edge sharpening. Our favorite codec library, FFmpeg, when compiled with the swscale lib, can do this. It uses bilinear filtering as far as I remember.

What movie companies do

Well, most old movies are available on film. Either the stock film they used before cutting or the final film that is delivered to cinemas. As film naturally has a higher spatial resolution than any of today's HD specifications, you can just scan the negatives again and thus get a movie in HD resolution. This is what is mostly done when old movies are re-released as BluRay discs or in "digitally remastered" versions.

More recent movies are actually shot in HD. Or even more, up to 4K resolution. This means that after the movie is cut, color-corrected, etc., the final movie will be downscaled to fit distribution needs. So, iTunes might downscale it to 720p before making it available, or BluRay distributors downscale it do 1080p. This is only possible because they have the original material.

Practical solution

Phew. That all being said you can always download Handbrake, which relies on FFmpeg, and upscale the video using the "Size" options under "Picture Settings". There aren't that many options though.

Just try it on a video and see if you can spot any difference. If not, don't upscale, it won't pay off.

Source: http://superuser.com/questions/290136/convert-any-video-to-hd-video

Archived