[HomeGroup] Problem

LeeSmithG

Well I know enough about the HomeGroup it's problems and how to make sure services run correctly.

However, this is one that might tickle your fancy.

I (as mentioned) am using my daughters P.C. due to my computer dying.

I reinstalled Windows seven (7) pro and some applications, I also added the previous hybrid drive into a caddy so I can access the partions on it for files.

Problem is the partition Windows drive runs the homegroup.

Everyone removed themselves from HomeGroup on the home network and I removed myself from the HomeGroup, even though I set up the HomeGroup on this P.C.

Problem is it still says do I want to join the HomeGroup.

I removed caddy, rebooted without it and Windows still sees it as a viable HomeGroup.

I cleared out service profile, files on this P.C. and the partion.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem, thanks in advance for replies.

• Replies 4
  • Views 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, if I understood well you don't need to join to the homegroup.

If is this, you could try this tip :

1. Open CMD
2. Type gpedit.msc
3. Go to :  Computer Configuration - Administrative Templates - Windows Components - HomeGroup
4. In the right side you will see : " Prevent the computer from joining a homegroup ".
5. Double click on it and choose " enable " , then OK.

Not sure if this option is available on Pro version.... I am usually using the enterprise edition........

Good luck ! ;)

Go to Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> HomeGroup, and click on Leave the homegroup link to unjoin from any existing home group.

Note: If the home group are shared and hosted from the PC, all HomeGroup connections will be disconnected.

Click on Leave the homegroup to confirm leaving from the home group.

Click on Finish when done.

Go to Control Panel -> System and Security -> Administrative Tools, and double click on Services. Alternatively, type services.msc in Start Search.

For each of the following two services:
HomeGroup Listener
HomeGroup Provider

Do the following:

Stop the service, and then double click on the service to open Properties dialog, and set its Startup type to Disabled. Click OK when done.

Gosh how complicated :)  When my nephew comes to my home I just swop hard drives. I got a power ext and data ext cable. He as his stuff on his win 7 I have mine on my win 7 and we never get messed up. He can mess his up BUT never mine :)

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 7:17 PM, Recruit said:

So, if I understood well you don't need to join to the homegroup.

If is this, you could try this tip :

1. Open CMD
2. Type gpedit.msc
3. Go to :  Computer Configuration - Administrative Templates - Windows Components - HomeGroup
4. In the right side you will see : " Prevent the computer from joining a homegroup ".
5. Double click on it and choose " enable " , then OK.

Not sure if this option is available on Pro version.... I am usually using the enterprise edition........

Good luck ! ;)

Hello again.

i had this idea myself, but I thought rebooting and before Windows remove u.s.b. connecting caddy to P.C.

Then trying.

But didn't work for some reason, so I followed your instructions, without caddy plugged in, disabelled, rebooted, no caddy.

Then created succesfully a homegroup.

Rebooted then enabled.

Plugged caddy back in and rebooted and so far added two computers onto homegroup.

So it's fine now, thanks again, STAR!

Archived