CloudFlare Puts Pirate Sites on New IP Addresses, Avoids Cogent Blockade

shamu726

The Pirate Bay and dozens of other pirate sites that were blocked by Cogent's Internet backbone are now accessible again. CloudFlare appears to have moved the sites in question to a new pair of IP-addresses, effectively bypassing Cogent's blackhole. Whether Cogent has plans to block their new home as well is unknown.

thepirate-e1470829181981.jpg

Last week the news broke that Cogent, which operates one of the largest Internet backbone networks, blackholed IP-addresses that were linked to several notorious sites including The Pirate Bay.

As a result of this action, people from all over the world were unable to get to their favorite download or streaming portals.

The blocking intervention is quite controversial, not least because the IP-addresses in question don’t belong to the sites themselves, but to the popular CDN provider CloudFlare.

While CloudFlare hasn’t publicly commented on the issue yet, it now appears to have taken countermeasures. A little while ago the company moved The Pirate Bay and many other sites such as Primewire, Popcorn-Time.se, and Torrentz.cd to a new set of IP-addresses.

As of yesterday, the sites in question have been assigned the IP-addresses 104.31.16.3 and 104.31.17.3, still grouped together. Most, if not all of the sites, are blocked by court order in the UK so this is presumably done to prevent ISP overblocking of ‘regular’ CloudFlare subscribers.

TPB accessible on the new CloudFlare IP-address

cogentnew.png

Since Cogent hasn’t blackholed the new addresses, yet, the sites are freely accessible on their network once again. At the same time, the old CloudFlare IP-addresses remain blocked.

Old CloudFlare IP-addresses remains blocked

cogenolder.png

TorrentFreak spoke to the operator of one of the sites involved who said that he made no changes on his end. CloudFlare didn’t alert the site owner about the issue either.

We contacted CloudFlare yesterday asking for a comment of the situation, but a company could not give an official response at the time.

It seems likely that the change of IP-addresses is an intentional response from CloudFlare to bypass the blocking. The company has a reputation of fighting overreach and keeping its subscribers online so that it would be fitting.

The next question that comes to mind is will Cogent respond, and if so, how? Or has the underlying issue perhaps been resolved in another way?

If their original blockade was meant to block one or more of the sites involved, will they then also block the new IP-addresses? Only time will tell.

Source: TorrentFreak

• Replies 3
  • Views 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It didn't  have nothing  to do with the fact they were blocking  Pirate Sites.  it had too do  with they were blocking many sites that had nothing too do with piracy as well was why they changed ips  so it was perfectly legal they was blocking many cloudflare protected sites in general   and i  never had any trouble accessing TPB using  a vpn no way i never access  such sites with  my real ip no way. And from what i read it was only certain people who had trouble using there real isp . TF said it was blocking people in the USA and in the comments  many people in the USA said they was not blocked at all ..

But this is crazy it could kill the internet in browsers  and still never kill  piracy  people will just start  making clients with a internal search again . some clients still have this were you dont have go too a actual site to get you're download 

Back before 2006 i never went too no sites. to download warez  it was all done via my client  via a  different p2p protocol not BitTorrent even  that was not http or https   No having to use search engines  or websites  internal search it was very easy . :P

With the action Cloudflare took to keep pirate sites online it can be expected that law enforcement will now go after cloudflare as an active participant in the pirate chain.  It may take a couple months but expect them to be physically taken over.

41 minutes ago, straycat19 said:

With the action Cloudflare took to keep pirate sites online it can be expected that law enforcement will now go after cloudflare as an active participant in the pirate chain.  It may take a couple months but expect them to be physically taken over.

it was legal because they blocked a bunch of sites that were not even  pirate sites and in order to provide there service witch many pay for they had too change ips .When you block ips in the internet backbone you block everything in that range  witch is stupid . Cogent should be sued for making black holes on the internet  Cloudflare is already in the courts for helping pirate sites dont you read the news  ... The reason pirate sites use them too began with is so they cant be knocked off line .

When you block Cloudflare ips you strati blocking Google ads and everything else Google  partners with them to protect ads on mobile .

https://techcrunch.com/2017/01/30/google-partners-with-cloudflare-and-triplelift-to-improve-amp-ads/

I always hated Cloudflare because they block TOR and some VPN ips also they log you're ip on sites that use it.. but I understand why sites use it and there not the only cdn out there there just the cheapest  Not everyone uses that one no way.

Finally Revealed: Cloudflare Has Been Fighting NSL for Years

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/01/finally-revealed-cloudflare-has-been-fighting-nsls-years

they been fighting with law enforcement for years about gag orders Now There fighting with the EFF in court

Archived