Microsoft calls off Patch Tuesday

Karlston

As far as I know, this is unprecedented.

MSRC just posted a blog that says we won’t have Patch Tuesday today.

This month, we discovered a last minute issue that could impact some customers and was not resolved in time for our planned updates today.

After considering all options, we made the decision to delay this month’s updates.

Don’t know about you, but I think that’s great. Better to be a day or two – or even a week – late, than to send out bad patches.

It’s not clear to me if this includes Windows, Office, Internet Explorer, .NET and other patches. We’ll find out in a few hours.

Source: Microsoft calls off Patch Tuesday (AskWoody)

Microsoft calls off Patch Tuesday (AskWoody foriums)

• Replies 26
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice i didn't fell like updating today noway,  but this one more reason Microsoft needs too go back too non cumulative updates if they gave patches they could just pulled the one bad update and gave out the non botched ones ..Anyway Microsoft dont patch anything tell its been known for like a quarter of the year to them anyway so whats a few more days.?

Must've been something really, really bad for them to pull the updates.

My guess is...

It probably detonated every updated device, destroying everything and killing everybody within a 10 mile radius, and scattering highly radioactive dust leaving the area uninhabitable for 10,000 years.

So Microsoft pulled the updates after realising that there would be no one around to throw ads at, all telemetry snooping would stop, and it would be bad for their business to start having to say "Windows 10 is installed on zero million active devices".

The upside would be that Windows 7 and Windows 10 would be neck and neck in the usage share stats.

:)

44 minutes ago, Karlston said:

Don’t know about you, but I think that’s great. Better to be a day or two – or even a week – late, than to send out bad patches.

Yeah, it's great. That just leaves all those running Windows 8 and above, with an old (vulnerable?) version of the Flash Player, if they are browsing with Edge or IE11...

:doh:

24 minutes ago, Karlston said:

The upside would be that Windows 7 and Windows 10 would be neck and neck in the usage share stats.

We dont really know this Windows 8 never done any thing much  and it took Windows 7 many years too overtake XP  . Rome was not built in a day ..The only reason Windows 7 got the big marketshare  it did was because business  was forced off XP  witch is like almost 50% of windows users .. Businesses  dont like spending money unless they have too and if it were up too them they be on XP  ..Windows 7 day is coming  when  Businesses get the ultimative to be fined or upgrade they will have 3 choices upgrade windows or use linux  or mac os .

38 minutes ago, brain_death said:

That just leaves all those running Windows 8 and above, with an old (vulnerable?) version of the Flash Player, if they are browsing with Edge or IE11...

Doesn't installing an updated Flash Player direct from Adobe fix any issues with IE, Edge and other browsers, or does MS use their own version of Flash Player for their browsers?

You can not install it just by downloading the exe. It has to be done by MS , its part of IE11 , we have to wait untill they start updating again !

btw ; another monthly update has to be installed also , KB 890830 ( latest is from 10-01-17 )...............:rolleyes:

53 minutes ago, Karlston said:

So Microsoft pulled the updates after realising that there would be no one around to throw ads at, all telemetry snooping would stop, and it would be bad for their business to start having to say "Windows 10 is installed on zero million active devices".

The masses dont care about privacy and ads  or security none of this matters in today's generation  ..Android has more users than Windows 7  and many phone vendors dont even give them updates  also Google makes ads and all  there products harvest you're data ,,,  Also they have the most used browser  ...This is were Microsoft got there ideas  So if you're looking for Windows 10 downfalls to save Windows 7 in the long haul  the odds are stacked against you . The only thing that could save Windows 7 would be Microsoft  extend its updates like they did XP.

10 minutes ago, Pete 12 said:

You can not install it just by downloading the exe. It has to be done by MS , its part of IE11 , we have to wait untill they start updating again !

Thanks, didn't know that, trust Microsoft to do it differently. Another good reason to not use MS browsers. :)

8 minutes ago, steven36 said:

The masses dont care about privacy and ads  or security none of this matters in today's generation

Hmmm... from what I read, one of the main reasons many have rejected Windows 10 is because of the telemetry/snooping.

And, the popularity of ad-blockers says a lot about the unpopularity of ads.

7 minutes ago, Karlston said:

Thanks, didn't know that, trust Microsoft to do it differently. Another good reason to not use MS browsers. :)

Well, yeah. But the folk who are using them are the ones that most need protecting. It is not the first time this has quietly happened either.

You'd still be OK on Windows 7, the AX plugin direct from Adobe works fine on IE11 there. No Edge of course...

:beta:

32 minutes ago, Karlston said:

Hmmm... from what I read, one of the main reasons many have rejected Windows 10 is because of the telemetry/snooping.

looks like gs.statcounter removed windows versions from there data base  even now its just windows vs other OS , you can read about anything you like on the internet I also read  if you're concerned about  privacy its best too use linux and not windows at all and they only have a 2% marketshare  that shows you how many people really care.

With all windows versions combined  Windows barley is beating Android out its not going too take much too turn the tides .

original-5625a06aa35800154baa3bbcf0b9981

http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/all/worldwide/#monthly-201612-201701

The Long Haul here

original-69616117ebfc69a5e14d797bf43f925

http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/all/worldwide/#monthly-201601-201701

1 hour ago, steven36 said:

Nice i didn't fell like updating today noway,  but this one more reason Microsoft needs too go back too non cumulative updates if they gave patches they could just pulled the one bad update and gave out the non botched ones ..Anyway Microsoft dont patch anything tell its been known for like a quarter of the year to them anyway so whats a few more days.?

no thanks, I prefer cumulative updates because are like service packs and more easy to install/manage in clean installs.

instead of having to install a lot of updates individually and having to investigate each time wich one was replaced/supersede, etc.

23 minutes ago, SPECTRUM said:

no thanks, I prefer cumulative updates because are like service packs and more easy to install/manage in clean installs.

instead of having to install a lot of updates individually and having to investigate each time wich one was replaced/supersede, etc.

I dont care what you prefer . when i leave  my windows 7 machine off and not do updates for 3 months it was only like 300 mb in updates and Microsoft was for  awhile was trying push off  2000 mb of updates on win 10  a month not everyone has unlimited internet and the world dont evolve around me or you.  They should give users  a choice too ether install installers with all updates or patches.

300 mb vs 6000 mb  thats a lot of wasted download no matter how you look at it.  Back when i was on satellite  i was caped  too 200 mb a day and if i went over my internet was not usable for 24 hours. i  would never been able too use windows 10  back around 2009. One of the veterans here switched to using Linux because Windows 10 ate up his quota even.  

19 minutes ago, steven36 said:

I dont care what you prefer . when i leave  my windows 7 machine off and not do updates for 3 months it was only like 300 mb in updates and Microsoft was for  awhile was trying push off  2000 mb of updates on win 10  a month not everyone has unlimited internet and the world dont evolve around me or you.  They should give users  a choice too ether install installers with all updates or patches.

300 mb vs 6000 mb  thats a lot of wasted download no matter how you look at it.  Back when i was on satellite  i was caped  too 200 mb a day and if i went over my internet was not usable for 24 hours. i  would never been able too use windows 10  back around 2009. One of the veterans here switched to using Linux because Windows 10 ate up his quota even.  

Windows 10 does not download whole update each month, it only download few MB with the necesary files that have been changed (and this is like that since Windows XP, this is called Delta Update: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_update).

only in clean installs of Windows it will download the whole update for obvious reasons, and as I said previouly...in clean installs of Windows is more easy to have a single cumulative update (like a service pack) instead of having mutiple updates separated, that you have to verify everytime if have been replaced/superseded.

25 minutes ago, SPECTRUM said:

Windows 10 does not download whole update each month, it only download few MB with the necesary files that have been changed (and this is like that since Windows XP, this is called Delta Update: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_update).

only in clean installs of Windows it will download the whole update for obvious reasons, and as I said previouly...in clean installs of Windows is more easy to have a single cumulative update (like a service pack) instead of having mutiple updates separated, that you have to verify everytime if have been replaced/superseded.

I stop doing updates on live updates along time ago  because they gave me problems with being slow  and taking too long  I been on unlimited  internet for many years now  I can download 900 mb installer in a few minutes and install them   I only take windows updates off  firewall block long enough for me too update with over ride then I block it back by setting my Firewall back to normal . You only have allow it long enough for the installer to put the updates in the update catch with Dism . You could use that 3rd party updater and not have too allow dism  but im too lazy too fool with it lol.

The last time my system check for auto updates was when I clean installed windows 10.

original-21a49bbb1f0376519bbe35562f626eb

4 hours ago, Karlston said:

This is true people dont like things you can see, but that's not the problem with windows 10 i dont see any ads on mine a lot of people will just get it good enough to not see the ads , but the biggest problem With software is what's going on in the background that you can't see. Only very few people who uses ip sniffers and things really knows what goes with there software in the background  if they cared about privacy they would . I care I look at  what goes thorough my PC all the time..

I found gs.statcounter. windows results now   they are just hiding it now  I know were I live more people are using Windows 10 than Windows 7 already .

original-000816d8f22318f3a15e18087c93d0e

And have you checked were you live they adopted Windows 10 much faster its been ahead since June 2016

original-76d4a8c06a73b8360795e6c6b1b81b6

I'm not concerned with with what goes on in places were if you buy a PC new they will load any pirated software you want this dont help Microsoft and as much money as they have i dont think hurts them ether so I simply don't care, In many places you can buy a PC with a free os or no os and the will load pirated windows on it at the shop if you got caught doing that here you be put in jail . I never even pirate windows i dont trust it . if it was really cracked it would be different but im not activating with some shady ip server .

Sorry, but with the dramatic fall in Microsoft's QA in the last few years, I'd much prefer to have discrete updates.

Much easier to avoid the inevitable monthly dodgy ones.

The "choices" with cumulative updates is to either take the lot (good and bad), or to take none. And this cumulative update methodology is precisely why MS pulled ALL Patch Tuesday updates this month. One (at least) was bad, the others (presumably) good. But one bad apple stopped the entire barrel being rolled out. You can work out for yourselves how much better discrete updates would have been.

Doesn't Windows Update manage applying updates in the correct order and ignoring redundant and superceded updates?

I think most of you just have a string of bad luck or go to sites or do things you probably shouldn't do. All of my systems running windows 10 they don't seem to ever have and problems with updates I am all over updated every 2 weeks. Windows 7 on the other hand likes to hang on me so I replaced that with Linux Mint 18.1 on my machines that do not hardware support windows 10 that i guess would be an issue with windows 10 but i really don't give a shit Linux is gaining grounds slowly and is rock solid windows 10 is getting better because Microsoft is being forced into listening to their customers if they don't they will lose them period, not like it is the end of the world. ReactOS is gaining grounds as well in alpha it is more stable then stable windows 95 98 98se ME 2000 or Vista and that's alpha not beta.

"It's easier for our software to compete with Linux when there's piracy than when there's not." -Bill Gates, Fortune Magazine, July 17 2007

The trouble is these days, most folk will take a step backwards and move to MacOS instead, which uses the freely available BSD (UNIX) codebase and charges for it.

M$ has no patch (lol) on the guys at Cupertino when it comes to restrictive business practices, all tied up in a 'trendy' package that pokes fun at less  technically averse Windows users, like they were all old and dusty, business-types. People pay more for underpowered hardware and the whole apparent cocoon of the Apple experience. They don't have to think for themselves, they can get going straight away like with their washing machine or toaster.

Linux wholly dominates the supercomputer market and is well ahead of M$ in terms of serving active sites across the Internet, according to this survey:

But it's very nature (free!) and diversity has stopped any one company making a coherent push forward on the desktop market. Android uses the Linux kernel too of course, only developed by Google instead of by that bunch of sysadmins, hobbyists and enthusiasts who actually keep the Internet running!

Anyway: rant, rant, rant.  Totally OT most probably...

PS: Written on Arch Linux!

Some more from Woody...

What happened to the February patches?

There’s a lot of conjecture. I haven’t seen any Feb “Patch Tuesday” style patches. Have you?

Hard to believe all of the patches – Vista, Win7, 8.1, various 10s, the Offices including Click-to-Run, IE, .NET, and all the weird supporting patches have all gone missing.

Even the two odd snooping patches, KB 2952664 (for Win7) and KB 2976978 (Win 8.1), are no longer available in the Windows Update Catalog.

The only conclusion I can draw – and it’s 100% speculation – is that Windows Update is broken. Or maybe compromised.

Do you have any better info – or a contrary opinion?

Source: What happened to the February patches? (AskWoody)

What happened to the February patches? (AskWoody forums)

Another update from Woody...

February’s Patch Tuesday will be in March

At least, that’s what the MSRC team notification on the TechNet blog says:

UPDATE: 2/15/17: We will deliver updates as part of the planned March Update Tuesday, March 14, 2017

My previous kvetch holds true. There’s no mention about whether this only applies to Windows (Vista, 7, 8.1, 1507, 1511, 1607), or if it also includes Office, .NET, IE and so on.

There’s some concern about the SMBv3 zero-day that I mentioned on Feb. 3. It’s still out there and active. CERT has published manual steps for thwarting the vulnerability.

I have a roundup of the history and the problems on InfoWorld.

By the way, Gunter Born doesn’t think Windows Update is broken, and he offers some powerful arguments in that direction in his latest blog post.

Source: February’s Patch Tuesday will be in March (AskWoody)

February’s patch Tuesday will be in March (AskWoody forums)

Archived